Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #1
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2021 Off season: You're in charge, what would you do?

Now that the Flames have been eliminated from the playoffs we need to start thinking about the future. If you were in charge, what would you do with this team. Even starting right now, would you bring up a bunch of guys who deserve it? I know people don't like to use the word "tank" but what do you do for the rest of the season?

For me, it's easy. The season is done, the wins amount to nothing at this point. Every year we hear the same thing "never try to lose games or you'll get used to it" and stuff like that. Well, this team seems to already be used to losing games, the fact that most years we're in this situation just shows that it doesn't matter. Accept it and embrace it. I know Sutter won't try to lose but maybe put Monahan on the IR, rest Markstrom a bit more and bring up all the kids you can, they deserve to play on this team more than the current roster. Johnny is actually playing great, let him keep it up and raise his trade value. Ultimately, just try to get the best possible draft pick.

At the draft make moves. Try your hardest to move Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachcuk, Gio and anyone else you can. Target picks in next 2 drafts and take less to make them unprotected. Draft the best Center available. This team needs to build depth down the middle, wingers are always available. If you can get the top D or the top G in the draft around your pick, do that but otherwise draft some centers (unless there is a huge drop off from the top wingers).

In the expansion draft, expose both Gio and Backlund. If Seattle takes Backlund, so be it but if it's fine if he's there to mentor the new batch of kids. If they take Gio, so be it and if they don't, trade him next year.

As for trades, try to take prospects and picks along with bigger contracts. Essentially, build for the future. As fur UFA's, sign 1 year deals if possible. The sabres had the right idea with Hall but it didn't really work out. If they can sign a big UFA to an over priced 1 year deal, they should be able to collect even more assets at the deadline.

Now I now every choice is based on other people too. It's easy to say "trade Monahan" but another team has to want him. I'm sure there are teams who could use a guy like him, especially as a second line C with retained salary. And UFA's have to want to sign with the Flames, nevermind sign 1 year deals. I just think they need to embrace the rebuild. People have said that they didn't bring Sutter here for a rebuild but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having him for a rebuild. If he could instill hard work ethic in a bunch of younger players that will be the future team, the team will be better because of it.

IMO this team just isn't good enough. Sutter has them playing well in his time here but so did every other coach, until they didn't. This team isn't going to get better with age and they're more than 1 or 2 pieces away from being a contender. It seems like every year this team trys to just add a bit here or there. The fact that they're doing that most years is telling because they always end up in the same situation, just trying to add 1 or 2 pieces to sneak in to the playoffs. Stop doing the same thing year in and year out, be honest with the team and the fans. This team isn't good enough and needs to change. Don't try to do things too fast, do them properly for once.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first order of business is to see what Gaudreau's intentions are. If he is honest when he says he enjoys Calgary I am getting an extension done. Despite some posters vendetta against him he is the straw that stirs the drink here and is an elite talent. He is part of the solution, not the problem. If he wants to test FA I look to get a deal done at that point. Monahan needs to go. Been here too long and his game is regressing. Whether he can bounce back at this point is irrelevant. Tkachuk is tough, he has been checked out ever since he was told to tone it down. I think there is a rift in the room there. I would love to move Gio but I don't know given cap restraints if that is possible. Definitely expose him in the expansion draft and if Seattle takes him that solves that problem. Backlund needs to go as well. I believe he has a 10 team trade list, I am asking for it. His game is really streaky and he has been here too long. If you are going to change the culture he has to go. I am calling Buffalo and seeing what assets they want for Eichel. Actually I would do that before any of the above moves to see if I can use our current assets to acquire the assets needed to get Buffalo to move him. I would bring back Ryan if he will come in at half the salary he makes now, such a heart and soul guy who can move up and down the lineup. The rest of the UFA's can go.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly I wait and see if we win the draft lotto. That will be the 1st "domino". I agree with froggy on seeing if johnny wants to stay at a fair deal.

I explore moving Monahan, Gio and Backlund no matter what. Absolutely no big ufa signings and I fill the roster from the prospect pool.

Then hopefully we can get one of the big guns in the following 2 drafts. At this point I think the team needs to draft a very high end centre. Bedard would be the obvious dream for the team.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leave Gio unprotected. Protect Backlund.

Trade Gaudreau, Monahan, and possibly Tkachuk for prospects and picks. We’ll have to take back a bad contract or two, but so be it.

Re-sign Ryan on a one-year contract.

Sign a UFA forward or two who can bring speed and puck pursuit. Maybe Coleman or Janmark.

Don’t answer calls from Taylor Hall’s agent.

Pencil in Mackey as a starter on the blue line.

Pray to the hockey gods for a draft lottery win in 2022 or 2023.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-27-2021 at 09:06 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would move Gaudreau and try and find a RW’er

Would have to move too many players out to try and build the team he needs to play with. Plus building a team around one player is too risky
Old 04-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

No one this team should be untouchable. Absolutely no one.

Except for Looch of course.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would have a keen eye on the 2022 and 2023 drafts. Thats where the real firepower is.

So I trade Tkachuk, Monahan, and hopefully sign Johnny if possible, if not trade him too.

Collect as many 2022 and 2023 picks as possible in those trades, burn through next season, and then the real team building begins.

Hopefully by 2022 draft we have Zary and Pelltier on big team and contributing.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Leave Gio unprotected. Protect Backlund.

Trade Gaudreau, Monahan, and possibly Tkachuk for prospects and picks. We’ll have to take back a bad contract or two, but so be it.

Re-sign Ryan on a one-year contract.

Sign a depth UFA forward or two who can bring speed and puck pursuit.

Don’t answer calls from Taylor Hall’s agent.

Pencil in Mackey as a starter on the blue line.

Pray to the hockey gods for a draft lottery win.
Lol wut? You answer Taylor Halls call no matter what! He has that lotto win magic! Taylor Hall= Shane Wright.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me you retool around this group:

Tkachuk
Lindholm
Mangiapane
Dube
Pelletier
Zary

Tanev
Hanifin
Andersson
Valimaki
Mackey

Markstrom

Lucic proabably can't be moved so add him to that group above to.

Then the focus in the offseason should be trying to maximize the return on Gaudreau, Monahan, Gio, & Backlund. With the focus being on high draft picks or top prospects in return.

Tkachuk could be moved too but for him I'd want it to be to get an upgrade like a package for Eichel for example.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
No one this team should be untouchable. Absolutely no one.

Except for Looch of course.
Lindholm too. 4 years left and the epitome of a keeper.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem with moving centers this offseason? We have nothing in the pipes ready. I can't see it being very likely we can swap our center for other centers on other teams.

If I'm moving forwards, it from LW. That's it. Pick your poison there too.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #15
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

To do list;

1) Ownership will need to review and confirm if the GM will stay
2) Trade Gaudreau (my guess the deal is already in the works with the Flyers)
3) Find another backup goalie
4) Bring in an experienced 6th dman to replace Nesterov
5) Resign Michael Stone to a 1 year deal
6) Resign Brett Ritchie to a 1 year deal
7) Derek Ryan, Nesterov and Nordstrom are not re-signed
8) Trade for a top 6 right winger
9) Giordano is left unprotected
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #16
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I agree on Lindy. The only way you trade him is if a team gives a massive over payment that you can't refuse. He's a great guy to even be a mentor, he's an amazing player to lead by example and in a few years if he isn't signed, he'll be the biggest name on the trade market!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #17
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A player like Sam Bennett would be a great young Top 6 Centre option if we move on from Backs and Monny. He’s and RFA and coming off a strong performance in FLA. Tre is a wizard with RFA contracts....
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #18
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign Gaudreau or trade Gaudreau. At the start of training camp he must either be locked in or gone.

That’s step 1.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Move Johnny for the best return you can get
- Monahan is tricky. Is his decline due to an injury and therefore can be corrected? If so you are trading him at his lowest. If the decline is just organic, then look to move him too
- Float Tkachuk out there to see what you can get for him. He is the most valuable asset still this organization has - so it only makes sense to trade him if the value is there
- Protect Backlund and Gio in the draft. The latter will have high value next TDL on an expiring contract (perhaps as much as a 1st).
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:14 AM   #20
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorched earth for the next three seasons, sell hope to the fans and draft top 3 at least twice. Rebuild with some high end talent. Young Guns 2.0
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post: