Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2021, 12:30 AM   #141
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
And he is still miles better than anything we have upfront. I don't care about this season either, they have more work to do in the offseason to change the direction of the team, even if Eichel came on board prior to the trade deadline.
Bit out of context...I wasn't saying Monahan was better just than Eichel just that he has also been a big time non-factor this year so maybe they bite on a 2 for 1 with a pick type offer. People act like our players are untradeable since they are struggling...look around the league they aren't alone.

Buffalo supposedly has multiple players better than anyone we have yet...7 losses in a row and like 6 goals scored.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-08-2021 at 12:33 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:34 AM   #142
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Markstrom has been a star for the team this season. No doubting that. I'm a bit concerned that he doesn't seem like he's at the same level as before the injury though. Hopefully he gets back to the super steady play he had to start the season as the team's hero.

There is negligible difference between the stats of Markstrom the star in whom we have confidence and Rittich of whom we are now terrified.

Just saying
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:37 AM   #143
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a feeling this was the last game for Huska as a head coach of the Flames.
*chuckle*

He did as much as he could, balancing the excitement of new first time coach and knowing it’s 2 games of dead man walking.

Got more effort on the whole than the last guy
Old 03-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #144
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
There is negligible difference between the stats of Markstrom the star in whom we have confidence and Rittich of whom we are now terrified.

Just saying
Markstrom has stolen 5+ games
Rittich has stolen 1

honestly they have both been good overall
Old 03-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #145
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know why people think Tkachuk is going to command $9M on his next deal. IMO he’ll either be the exact same or a couple hundred thousand more. He won’t be anywhere near $9M.

He might ask for that, but he’s not getting that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:38 AM   #146
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Markstrom has stolen 5+ games
Rittich has stolen 1

Valimaki saved his ass tonight

I agree with you, they have both been good overall
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 AM   #147
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah you tell yourself that

Valimaki saved his ass tonight
What does that have to do with stolen games? are you suggesting Rittich has never coughed up the puck?

We can go through them if you want...Markstrom stole nearly every win in the early season its not even debatable
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 AM   #148
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I don’t know why people think Tkachuk is going to command $9M on his next deal. IMO he’ll either be the exact same or a couple hundred thousand more. He won’t be anywhere near $9M.

It’s his qualifying offer based on his contract structure
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 12:43 AM   #149
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
What does that have to do with stolen games? are you suggesting Rittich has never coughed up the puck?

We can go through them if you want...Markstrom stole nearly every win in the early season its not even debatable

Hey, we agree, both goalies are pretty good

Their stats are very near identical

A cough up in a blowout here and there doesn’t matter. Run support helps.

I do like the tandem a lot

But Markstrom was just ok tonight on the whole, despite a couple of nice saves.

Like any of my rounds of golf. I can find something to talk about
Old 03-08-2021, 01:00 AM   #150
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to get a point after that effort
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:06 AM   #151
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bit out of context...I wasn't saying Monahan was better just than Eichel just that he has also been a big time non-factor this year so maybe they bite on a 2 for 1 with a pick type offer. People act like our players are untradeable since they are struggling...look around the league they aren't alone.

Buffalo supposedly has multiple players better than anyone we have yet...7 losses in a row and like 6 goals scored.
I know you aren't saying he is better than Eichel, but nobody is going to balk on trading for Eichel because of his stats this year. Sure he is struggling to put up points but if you watch Buffalo, like I do, you see when he is on the ice he is still a major threat and has the skill set you want from a #1 C.

Nobody is saying they are "untradable", not sure where you are getting that from, but we may not have the desirable assets for Buffalo to consider trading him to us. I think the "multiple players better than anyone we have" is a exaggeration on you're part. The threads I've seen only mention Eichel as the desirable trade piece people want.

No management team just looks at stats and determines the value of a player solely based on that. It sucks but the stock of our core is slowly decreasing. Interestingly enough BT has been rumoured to be holding onto Bennett because he isn't getting what he wants in a deal, referencing Bennett's playoff performance as his true value over his reg season performance. For guys like Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, he probably has to do the opposite.

Last edited by CGY12; 03-08-2021 at 01:18 AM.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:03 AM   #152
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to say much about that game because it's already been said.

However, I continue to be impressed by Noah Hanifin this year. He's become more solid defensively (having Tanev as a partner helps) but he's also becoming more aggressive offensively. Now that is starting to pay off with a couple goals.

I think we're beginning to see him emerge into a true #1 defenseman (or top pairing at least). That's comforting to see.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 AM   #153
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Tkachuk was wide open for a break away in OT but Backlund passed it back for some reason
Because Tkachuk can’t skate?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:50 AM   #154
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow View Post
Really surprising to see dallas so poor this year.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
The Flames broke them last season.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #155
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Lmao give me a break dude. This has to be the worst take of the year by a country mile.

Jacob Markstrom is the only reason we got a point tonight and is the only reason we have more than 5 wins all year. Truly just an absurdly awful take. Like, mind blowingly bad.
Hey, my sig quote is relevant again! The first goal was deflected, but Markstrom should have had it - and his body language shows he knew it. He almost got the second - close enough that he probably could've had it if we're not in a deterministic universe. He makes either of those saves, as well as the ones he did, and we win. He makes one more save in the shootout, we win. Goalies are expected to make a certain number of saves on breakaways, expected to make a certain number saves on 2-on-0s, expected to make a certain number of saves on deflections. It would take an exceptional set of circumstances for an 0.864 SV% to be earning a point more than it is losing one. This game wasn't it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #156
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just finished a 14 game stretch where some of us on CP speculated (me included) that the team could go 10-4-0 given the multitude of games vs. Sens/Nucks/Oil.

Instead we went 5-7-2.

Really did sink the season.
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Domoic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #157
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He's going to get just that next season which means a difficult decision will have to be made as he's not a $9 million player. It's almost sickening to think this team has $21 million cap space tied up in Tkachuk, Backlund, and Monnahan next season as they have been been invisible most of the season. Hopefully Sutter can push the right buttons but I really think the team should consider shopping Tkachuk in the offseason. Watching Backlund and Tkachuk emulate Keystone Cops in overtime was a snapshot of their season to date.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:31 AM   #158
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes that was a crap game....

It will be interesting if Sutter can turn this team around...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #159
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok. New coach boost starts.... now
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #160
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's going to get just that next season which means a difficult decision will have to be made as he's not a $9 million player. It's almost sickening to think this team has $21 million cap space tied up in Tkachuk, Backlund, and Monnahan next season as they have been been invisible most of the season. Hopefully Sutter can push the right buttons but I really think the team should consider shopping Tkachuk in the offseason. Watching Backlund and Tkachuk emulate Keystone Cops in overtime was a snapshot of their season to date.
I have no doubts that Tkachuk will bounce back. Think he will thrive with Sutter. Backlund is Backlund . He does this every year where he plays lousy for a long stretch , then plays like a bonifide 2nd line center for stretches . The player that I hope Sutter can make take next step is Monahan . That said I dont think it will happen . I just don’t see it in him . I highly doubt he is around next season. Don’t get me wrong I have no problem if any of the 3 are shipped out for the right price.
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote