Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you prefer as a first round opponent?
Colorado 0 0%
Dallas 0 0%
Arizona 2 100.00%
Minnesota 0 0%
Anyone but Vegas 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #61
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I voted Arizona, not because the Flames should be afraid of anyone, but this way, in theory, the Flames don't have to go through BOTH SJS AND VGK!!!

In 2004 part of the reason Tampa had a chance, was the Flames had 3 long hard series (all against the top teams), while they had 3 easier/shorter series. The Flames were pretty beat up by the final....
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #62
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
In 2004 part of the reason Tampa had a chance, was the Flames had 3 long hard series (all against the top teams), while they had 3 easier/shorter series. The Flames were pretty beat up by the final....
The Lightning had two easier/shorter series. The third round series was a grueling seven game marathon against the Flyers.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:48 PM   #63
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I listened to the FAN960 today, I'll agree with the team and Loubo on this one. The opponent is less important than resting up and healing all the injuries before the playoffs. If the Flames were to go all out and further risk injuries to get 1st place, the team will just cave in the first round.

At a minimum, the idea should be to retain 2nd place and rest everyone. Obviously Monahan has been injured for awhile, Bennett as well and who knows what other secret injuries are in play. Lets get all these AHL players some time and see who can potentially help the Flames in round 1. I remember that Ferland and Bennett were big a surprises a few years ago, lets see who can be the surprise performers this year.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I listened to the FAN960 today, I'll agree with the team and Loubo on this one. The opponent is less important than resting up and healing all the injuries before the playoffs. If the Flames were to go all out and further risk injuries to get 1st place, the team will just cave in the first round.

At a minimum, the idea should be to retain 2nd place and rest everyone. Obviously Monahan has been injured for awhile, Bennett as well and who knows what other secret injuries are in play. Lets get all these AHL players some time and see who can potentially help the Flames in round 1. I remember that Ferland and Bennett were big a surprises a few years ago, lets see who can be the surprise performers this year.
Unless the Flames really crap the bed they third is not really in play. It's only first or second.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #65
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since 14-15 we're something like 5-9 versus dallas. In our last 5 versus them we're 0-5 with 1 point via a single overtime loss. Our last 3, we've been shutout twice.
I'd rather play Vegas or San Jose than Dallas.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #66
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bring on anyone!

The Flames need to slay their playoff demons this year, and they will. Having said that, I do hope for a Sharks/Knights matchup where one can take the other out first.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #67
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I voted Coyotes because I see them like the Flames a couple years back. Young team with lots of potential that is going on an unsustainable run to grab a playoff spot. They will be gassed for round one and they lack the experience to make a big splash imo.

That said, if we're having the same poll in a couple years, I'd like to see the Flames avoid a young Coyotes team with more experience and perhaps a few additions.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #68
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Bring me the skull of MAF .....I want us to beat the best possible opponent first. Confidence will take us a long long way.

I think we have what it takes to win regardless of the opponent . It won’t be easy however you slice it and anything can happen once we get started. And I love the underdog role.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Bring me the skull of MAF .....I want us to beat the best possible opponent first. Confidence will take us a long long way.

I think we have what it takes to win regardless of the opponent . It won’t be easy however you slice it and anything can happen once we get started. And I love the underdog role.
I want no part of Vegas with MAF but if he isn't ready for the playoffs I would take Vegas starting Subban over the Stars or Blues as they both play the Flames tough.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #70
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avs should be on this list. They are now our second most likely opponent after Arizona.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #71
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Doesn’t matter. They need to beat everyone
Old 03-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #72
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arizona. Some of the comments about Vegas are ridiculous. We’re 10 pts up on them, 1st in the west. They should fear us... we’re the ones who knock!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #73
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Arizona. Some of the comments about Vegas are ridiculous. We’re 10 pts up on them, 1st in the west. They should fear us... we’re the ones who knock!
They are 9-1 since acquiring the best player on the market at the deadline. Luckily that one loss came via the Flames.

It is more the fact if we play Vegas the road to the cup is likely Vegas -> San Jose -> Winnipeg/Nashville -> Tampa/Washington/Boston

Just a tougher road is all. Getting an easier 1st round opponent would be ideal
Old 03-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They are 9-1 since acquiring the best player on the market at the deadline. Luckily that one loss came via the Flames...
I agree that the best course to the Finals is the easier one, but that win v. VGK was not “luck.” That was the best team in the WC beating another team that is not as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #75
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Avalanche are right back in it. They've won 2 in a row while the Wild and Coyotes have both lost two in a row.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #76
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can avoid Vegas in the 1st round, that means San Jose and Vegas will beat the crap out of each other.
Should we make it out of the 1st round, it would be nice to play a beat-up San Jose/Vegas in the 2nd round.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #77
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
If we can avoid Vegas in the 1st round, that means San Jose and Vegas will beat the crap out of each other.
Should we make it out of the 1st round, it would be nice to play a beat-up San Jose/Vegas in the 2nd round.
We better make it out the first round, otherwise the media and public are going to come down hard on the Flames.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #78
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you listen back to some of the 04 guys, the team's undoing was injuries from playing in 3 grueling series ahead of the SCF. Blowing the 2-0 lead against SJ was a huge regret according to Warrener, as it gassed them and cost them injury-wise against TB.

Despite being confident in any matchup, you take a simpler first round opponent EVERY time, as that's what a number one seed affords you.

The Flames have not had enough playoff success to warrant the outright cockiness in this thread. Winning against any opponent should not be taken for granted.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #79
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's just not repeat 2006, where they went balls out to win the division and then ran outta gas. Rest your injured guys and be smart
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #80
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado suddenly our 2nd most likely opponent, behind Arizona.
Closed Thread