Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #1101
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the black chick on the bridge ever going to do anything other than be the black chick on the bridge?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #1102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Is the black chick on the bridge ever going to do anything other than be the black chick on the bridge?

Her and the communications guys are still pretty much furniture.

I had a thought last night

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #1103
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

so the plot is a Terminator spin off now?

Control = skynet
Red Angel = something John Connor sent back in time to stop skynet?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #1104
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Control = skynet

Yeah kinda is if you think about it.

Except that in the terminator franchise. John Connor would have sent John Connor back in time.

Unless . . . . The red Angel is Michael's mother and she has to mate with Spock to produce Michael in the past in a twisted combination of a Back to the Future story line where Marty actually gives into temptation with his hot future mom and conceives himself and the Terminator skyline where the Red Angel was sent back in time by Michael herself who was the leader of the resistance and she sent back her best soldier to save humanity and Ensign Tilly is actually Michael's mother.

So to keep this straight.

Control wipes out humanity except for an intrepid rebellion lead by Michael.
Michael sends Tilly back in time, she has sex with Spocko and gets knocked up.
Tilly jumps back again dyes her red hair brown and gives birth to Michael who's real father is spock. Tilly marries Michaels step father a young star ship captain named George Kirk.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #1105
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Red Angel can’t be Burnham though as she wouldn’t even exist in the ‘apocalypse’ timeline — in that timeline she’s killed by a monster on Vulcan as a child. Only the Red Angel going through time to warn Spock saved her, and set off this timeline.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #1106
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I know, I was just having fun

I believe that we haven't meant the female that is the Red Angel yet.

I don't think the writers would dare make Burnham the Red Angle, Star Trek Fans would poop all overit.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #1107
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Control = skynet
The way Airiam went offline was quite T-800-dipped-in-lava like.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #1108
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any reason to think Ariam is the Red Angel then? I could reckon that she's found and whatever finds her wants her to complete the mission, so she has to go back and make sure everything goes as planned. Kind of like how Number 5 in "Umbrella Academy" was part of a group that had to travel through time and fix things.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #1109
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there any reason to think Ariam is the Red Angel then? I could reckon that she's found and whatever finds her wants her to complete the mission, so she has to go back and make sure everything goes as planned. Kind of like how Number 5 in "Umbrella Academy" was part of a group that had to travel through time and fix things.

I don't know, they did nothing to develop her as a relevant character until this next episode, so I can't see them doing anymore with her.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #1110
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm reasonably confident the Red Angel is...

Spoiler!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #1111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I won't go to into depth on this epsiode because I'm torn. I liked the direction of the episode and the show cutting back on a bunch of story lines to simplify things and let it breath.

Spoiler!

Oh and Anson Mount has announced that he won't be returning to Discovery next year which is expected but a shame because he's been the best part of the show this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #1112
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I suppose that's one way to ensure the show continues the focus on the First Officer rather than fall in love with a Captain. Although Michael hasn't really been First Officer for a long time.

-Scene between Spock & Michael was great
-Agreed that the funeral scene while excellent would have had much more meaning with character development
-Amazed by how technologically advanced this series is: time travel suits, stasis fields, deflector dish, jumping anywhere in the known universe, ppl back from the dead. It's cool but perhaps a bit too much
-AI out on the loose seems a bit odd
-Section 31 plus the Admiral hanging out seems challenging to follow

All in all, good episode but a bit too many twists with a few too many plot lines rushed or crammed down to the viewer
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #1113
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think the one thing that keeps tickling the back of my brain.

We know the spore drive does damage to the Mycelial (sp?) network. They had an whole episode around how damaging it was and how it was killing the life there. But they are back to "Get that drive online" damn the consequences.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #1114
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good episode this week - nice to see character development tied into the main story line. Spock and Michael interactions keep getting better and better. Spock himself is certainly growing as a main character.

With Pike confirmed leaving at the end of the season, is the character Spock as well?

One glaring annoyance for me - for an AI entity seeking 'consciousness' - seems to already have it being able to take control and consume people
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #1115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Good episode this week - nice to see character development tied into the main story line. Spock and Michael interactions keep getting better and better. Spock himself is certainly growing as a main character.

With Pike confirmed leaving at the end of the season, is the character Spock as well?

One glaring annoyance for me - for an AI entity seeking 'consciousness' - seems to already have it being able to take control and consume people

I enjoyed the episode, I thought it was pretty strong.

Quote:
I do have this bad feeling that control won't get the sphere and ends up becoming the Borg though, especially after the assimilation scene

I can't see Spock staying after this season, I still believe that Michael has to die or do something really bad to explain her none existence in the OS

Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #1116
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a good theory on the AI control becoming the Borg - except that it would completely negate the First Contact timeline. The Borg go back to the party in Montana to enslave the human race and deviate from meeting the Vulcans. That would essentially kill the notion of humanity building control and eliminating the evolution of the Borg.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #1117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
It's a good theory on the AI control becoming the Borg - except that it would completely negate the First Contact timeline. The Borg go back to the party in Montana to enslave the human race and deviate from meeting the Vulcans. That would essentially kill the notion of humanity building control and eliminating the evolution of the Borg.

What if the Borg are there, but Control joins them and evolves them. Maybe right now they are a planet of 1980's radioshack hand calculators that are permanently spelling 80085 on their screens and filled with impotent rage.

What if Control in its human form gets a hold of the Red Armor technology and goes back in time thousands of years and founds the Borg.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #1118
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I have learned to never underestimate Star Trek writers ability to retcon anything in the Star Trek universe after Enterprise.

I wouldn't put it past them to eventually have Stamets decide to take his connection with the Mycelial network travel to a galaxy far far a long time ago and become the first Jedi when the Mycelials permanently bond with his cells and become midichlorians.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #1119
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just don't get it.
The Borg aren't an AI. They are a collective consciousness, a giant groupthink! That's what makes them the Borg, not some super logically computer controlling things.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #1120
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if Control is the progenitor of the Borg, it's doing a pretty terrible job of that. it nukes every sentient being in the galaxy into oblivion...that's sort of makes the whole growing a species via assimilation thing kind of tough.

not every instance of nanobots taking over a person/system is Borg related. I recall at least one TNG episode where the Enterprise got sick with a nanite infection. seems to be a pretty common path for technological miniaturization.

as for Leland, him getting freaking eyeball stabbed while trying to do the power authorization is going to haunt me every time I visit the optometrist. I'm not sure he should have even survived that at all.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote