Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:06 AM   #141
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
It's 50% of teams forcing a game 7 win after being down 3-1. Not a 50% chance to come back FROM 3-1 down.

It's 15% if i remember correctly. Still not terrible . 1/7 chance
Yeah sorry that's what I meant, assuming we can force a game 7. And the fact that we have been able to do that twice before gives me some hope.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #142
Knut

Exp:

Positives:

After the first the Flames really started to figure out how to contain McDavid. If they can contain him I think they have a shot at winning the next 3.

Some different Line looks really confused the Oilers Defense. I would probably put Backlund up with Johnny and Chucky a bit more often next game.

Backlund is having a heck of a playoffs.

If they can cut out the giveaways in the neutral zone (passes across the middle to nobody, drop passes during a line change etc) I think they can pull it out.

It only takes one solid win to sow doubt in your opponent

The pressure moves to Edmonton to close it out. Game 4 is always the hardest to win in a series.

Lets do this !!
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:14 AM   #143
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
It's 50% of teams forcing a game 7 win after being down 3-1. Not a 50% chance to come back FROM 3-1 down.

It's 15% if i remember correctly. Still not terrible . 1/7 chance
Is that 50% comeback stat right because that seems awfully high? I'm shocked that half the time when a team goes up 3-1 the series goes to game 7.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #144
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Is that 50% comeback stat right because that seems awfully high? I'm shocked that half the time when a team goes up 3-1 the series goes to game 7.
No it's 50% to win the series when coming back from 3-1.

Just coming back from 3-1 is like 15%.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #145
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We got them right where we want them
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:43 AM   #146
sss1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

nm
sss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 AM   #147
Dang
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
No it's 50% to win the series when coming back from 3-1.

Just coming back from 3-1 is like 15%.
Mathematically, the Flames have a 12.5% chance of winning 3 games in a row if the odds were 50/50. However, the chances in a playoff series are usually lower (<10%) because the team that got up to 3-1 did so because they're the better team (ie odds aren't 50/50 for each game).

However, I still think the Flames are the better team in this series and can pull it off. They just need to get it together!
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #148
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau and Tkachuk have yet to really put their mark on this series, early game 1 aside. I mean dominate possession on their shifts as well as produce like we've seen them do all year.

2 keys to a comeback for me is can those two turn it on here, and can we get over .9 goaltending.

If we start getting their A game like in round one game 7 facing elimination, then this series will be extended.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #149
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the conditions are positive for a comeback in this series. Don't get me wrong I'm mentally prepared for the likelihood of a second round bow out.

The saying always goes "Its a tall task to win 3 in a row." Well, the Oilers just won 3 in a row. I can see in a situation where the teams aren't really close (See 2019, second round 2015) But not only are these teams close, by just about every regular season metric the Flames are the better team. So why can't they win 3 in a row? Why can't they win 2 in a row and then take a game 7 coin flip on home ice?

Game 4 was a good start as far as their 5on 5 play is concerned. If they can start dictating the game rather than just hang on and cower to Mcdavid, it is absolutely there for the taking.

The experience is there, the coach is there, the pieces are there. They just have to do it. The Oilers as a team are not as good as the Flames are making them look.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #150
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers have had their share of losing streaks with this core and even in the past year. The Flames had spurts where they stumbled to bounce back stronger and better. The Oilers have shown to be immature in the fact they have gotten away from what makes them successful when they are riding high.

The Flames need to do to Smith what the Oilers have done to Markstrom and it is very doable. Just 1 game at a time. We need 3 wins and we can have 2 of the games at home. This team needs to be about changing the narrative of the organization. Coming back from 1-0 and 2-1 in game 7 when the opposition goalie was lights out shows their ability to dig deep.

Sutter needs to challenge his players to be their best and they need to believe in each other. Beat a flawed team 3 times. They can do it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:35 PM   #151
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team has been stronger mentally this year. Game 7 in round 1 is a testament to that. Game 4 is also a good example of that. Trailing 3-0 and fought back to tie it up. More of that please, and we can get back in this.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #152
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think my positivity actually went up after last game as the Flames controlled the play for the most part. After the Game 3 loss I felt a lot more discouraged as it seemed like the Flames were just outmatched. Just need Marky to steal a game here at some point, and for the focus level to remain high at all times.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #153
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I felt we were much better against their big guns last night.

I am calm, angry of course, but not really nervous.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #154
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
This team has been stronger mentally this year. Game 7 in round 1 is a testament to that. Game 4 is also a good example of that. Trailing 3-0 and fought back to tie it up. More of that please, and we can get back in this.
And if you come back from a deficit, don't let up!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #155
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
And if you come back from a deficit, don't let up!
Particularly when gifted a Mike Smith Special.

Flames also fought back on the road in Dallas when down 2-0 (Game 6 I believe) only to let it slip away.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #156
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Normally when you go one on one, you have a 50% chance of win. But the Flames -- they're not normal. They have the best line in hockey, and that's better than just one player. So the Oilers have 33 percent, at best, at beat Flames. Then you add Mike Smith to the mix? The Oilers chances of winning drastic go down. The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for the Oilers in Game 5.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #157
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointed so far, but oddly optimistic heading into game 5 and the rest of the series. I might have the Flames glasses on but I’m more confident in a Flames in 7 series than I was before game 4.

Regardless, I’ll be there tomorrow.. cheering loudly, throwing everything into supporting my team (except the wave) and believing until the end. We’re 93 games in, why jump off the wagon now?

And yes, I’ll be yelling “SHOOOOOOOT” every time our d-man has the puck near our own blue line… and welcome anyone else to join me.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #158
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Tbh the biggest thing that gives me hope is that Smith is still capable of being Smith. Yeah he’s played better than Marky for most of the series, but that long bomb goal he gave up was just embarrassing and made people forget about Marky’s gaff at the beginning of the game. The boys just gotta play like they did game 7 against the Stars: Get as many pucks on net as possible
Old 05-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #159
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
We got them right where we want them
Hufnagel...that you??
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #160
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

As negative as I am have been about this team, if there's a Flames team in the past few decades that can get this to a game 7, it should be this one.

Do I expect it? Nope. Would it shock me? Nope.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote