Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #1221
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Governor Abbott is making a statement and Beto O'Rourke was just kicked out of the room for approaching the stage and calling him out for his and his party's policies, etc. Very heated in there.
i was wondering who that was... thought it might just be some guy...

it was pretty heated.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #1222
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Almost all of these mass killers are socially isolated, bitter, single men. So social breakdown and alienation are root causes.
It sounds more like this shooter was a bullied teen. Unfortunately, bullying in school is nothing new.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #1223
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Children getting murdered, and you can’t figure out how to stop it.

The USA.
Mr.Coffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #1224
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

le sigh
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #1225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbine was 23 years ago. That was the moment the US should have pivoted. Instead, they accelerated.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #1226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its such a world gone mad thing and beyond comprehension for me.

I still think for legal guns, you should have to buy isurance. If you have an uninsured fire arm in your possession 10 years in jail and a million dollar fine.

you commit a gun crime life in prison no parole

You commit a gun crime with a unregistered or illegal gun. Life in prison no parole.

You sell a gun illegally, life in prison.

If you're a gun shop owner or seller, and you don't follow procedures. Your business and your house is seized.

People need to rise up and repudiate or cripple lobby groups like the NRA, and their political supporters.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #1227
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing is an industry there. Kevlar backpacks, ballistic blankets, metal detectors at schools.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #1228
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Governor Abbott is making a statement and Beto O'Rourke was just kicked out of the room for approaching the stage and calling him out for his and his party's policies, etc. Very heated in there.
i saw that clip on CNN. The guys on the stage were suggesting that was not the time/place to discuss the issues that Beto was trying to advance - or course i'd assume it was in their self interest to not have that kind of discussion.

I wonder when that fella feels would be the time and place for that discussion?

Hopefully the parents don't become props for their "thoughts and prayers" speeches/rallies
Old 05-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #1229
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i saw that clip on CNN. The guys on the stage were suggesting that was not the time/place to discuss the issues that Beto was trying to advance - or course i'd assume it was in their self interest to not have that kind of discussion.

I wonder when that fella feels would be the time and place for that discussion?

Hopefully the parents don't become props for their "thoughts and prayers" speeches/rallies
Of course. Discussions about changes to gun policies to prevent future school shootings don't make any sense after the most recent school shooting!

Meanwhile, front page of the Onion:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1529483504857251844
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #1230
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This video doesn't want to imbed, so here is a link to O'Rourke talking to the press after he confronted the governor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYnKn1v82Y
Old 05-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #1231
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

n/m
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #1232
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

you think you'd get used to this, but as a teacher, I always shudder when that same old "let's arm the teachers!" BS comes up. Like, are you out of your god damn mind? Out of all the things you could think of, that's your solution? Dear god.

I grew up watching US series, listening to US bands and loving US sports, thinking I'd love to travel there when I get older. Now I count my lucky stars that I wasn't born in that ####hole country and that there's a giant ocean in between.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #1233
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I still think for legal guns, you should have to buy isurance. If you have an uninsured fire arm in your possession 10 years in jail and a million dollar fine.

You commit a gun crime with a unregistered or illegal gun. Life in prison no parole.

If you're a gun shop owner or seller, and you don't follow procedures. Your business and your house is seized.

People need to rise up and repudiate or cripple lobby groups like the NRA, and their political supporters.
Okay, but this sounds like 'War on Crime/War on Drugs' thing.

Have we not had enough evidence to show that harsh sentencing guidelines dont really have a tendency to actually do much to diminish or deter crimes?

I am actually doing something which I hate which is criticizing something without offering a potential solution or other course of action.

Unfortunately, I really dont have one. I liked the South Park clip that was posted a bit back. Gun Violence and School Shootings seem like they've become so commonplace as to just have become part of everyday life.

Who do you punish? The shooter is not someone that can be reasoned with. By the time they get to that stage there is no reasoning and they dont care about the punishment because most of them arent planning on coming out alive.

So it seems like the proper thing to do would be to get out ahead of it. Be tougher on school bullying. Its not 'oh kids will be kids.' Stamp that stuff out.

More focus on Mental Health...but thats a cop out. Its just a nothing phrase unfortunately its also not wrong. Bullying and stress are bad for mental health which seems to be the key issue here. A person has been pushed to a breaking point.

Granted, I have to admit thats a breaking point I dont understand in this instance. I have no idea why an 18-year old took issue with a bunch of 4th Graders to push him to this point? It doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:58 PM   #1234
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It sounds more like this shooter was a bullied teen. Unfortunately, bullying in school is nothing new.
And if anyone is paying attention, suicide rates, depression rates, mental health issues, etc, etc....especially among young males, are through the roof.

Combine that with a ridiculously easy way to obtain firearms, and you have almost the perfect storm of problems leading to these mass events. And it WILL get worse.

Our society in general isn't handling these things well, not just the US.

Canada just doesn't allow anyone to go buy firearms as easily, which I hope makes it harder to go shoot other people, but lets not think for a second that our kids aren't suffering as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #1235
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

The sad thing is, no politician has the ball to push this through, NRA is just too powerful.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #1236
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
you think you'd get used to this, but as a teacher, I always shudder when that same old "let's arm the teachers!" BS comes up. Like, are you out of your god damn mind? Out of all the things you could think of, that's your solution? Dear god.

I grew up watching US series, listening to US bands and loving US sports, thinking I'd love to travel there when I get older. Now I count my lucky stars that I wasn't born in that ####hole country and that there's a giant ocean in between.

Their thinking is, arm the teachers, so more guns can be sold, and gun manufacturers can make more money.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #1237
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting hard limits on what companies, lobbies or individuals can contribute to a politician, party or campaign would solve a lot of problems in American government. Unless I'm wrong, the limit in Canada this year is $1675. In the States the limits seem to be 5 to 6 digits, and the whole idea of PACs is moronic.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #1238
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about how nice it would be if somehow liability protection for gun manufacturers could be removed to allow them to be more easily sued for negligence. If that were to happen, they would probably start self-regulating more to prevent these tragedies. I believe some Sandy Hook survivors are trying to sue a gun manufacturer, but the manufacturers are protected in many ways. Just to get it out there, I know some people will say things, like what about cars... they kill a lot of people. Should auto manufacturers be sued? Obvious differences there since guns are made for killing and are marketed by how well they can achieve that.

Maybe they should take cigarette route and force gun manufacturers to advertise the negative side effects. If every store that sells guns or ammo had to have a sign outside on their store front that made people feel uncomfortable, maybe people wouldn't want them in their communities.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #1239
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, but this sounds like 'War on Crime/War on Drugs' thing.

Have we not had enough evidence to show that harsh sentencing guidelines dont really have a tendency to actually do much to diminish or deter crimes?

I don't know about this if it will deter crime, but if like in this incidence, the kid was bullied growing up and just snapped one day. But if there are tougher regulation on buying guns. He wouldn't have any channel to get powerful gun to kill so many innocent people. It wasn't so much that harsher sentence on the shooter, it's harder sentencing on the people who provide weapons to the shooter. I don't know if this will deter them killing people but as least give it a try?

Quote:
More focus on Mental Health...but thats a cop out. Its just a nothing phrase unfortunately its also not wrong. Bullying and stress are bad for mental health which seems to be the key issue here. A person has been pushed to a breaking point.

This I totally agree, tougher on bullying. A bully will not outgrow it. If he or she bully others in school, he or she will bully others in the work place when they have a chance. It really saddened me that authority taken bullying so lightly.

Quote:
Granted, I have to admit thats a breaking point I dont understand in this instance. I have no idea why an 18-year old took issue with a bunch of 4th Graders to push him to this point? It doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm just totally speculating here, may be because he has been bullied since he was a little kid and no one came to his defense. So when he snapped, he still does not have courage to confront the bigger and stronger people, so he picked on some one smaller and weaker like when he was a kid. It's just sad.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #1240
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think a longer term solution for many of the problems facing kids/society is smaller class sizes and more teachers. It gives all kids more of a chance to be engaged in school, less chance for them to fall through the cracks, more opportunity for teachers to see the signs that a student needs help. They leave high school with a better chance of contributing to society and less of a chance of feeling disenfranchised. Less crime on every level. Not just relating to school shootings.

That's big money though and not an investment that'll immediately prove profitable for governments.

I also admit, that as the husband of a teacher, there's no way I want my wife armed.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: