Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #101
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All I know is last summer was a dream flying back and forth to the US for work and y'all have ruined it with your pesky "leisure" travel.

But more seriously, I must have been born under a lucky star as I have been flying every couple of weeks and haven't really had any issues. YYC is never a problem it seems and YVR a couple weeks ago was dead when I went through.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #102
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So a return to how flying was 30 years ago? I can see it. Costs of fuel and labour may be going up for good. Companies are cutting way back on business travel, which has historically subsidized the cheap seats. Probably some targeted GHG emissions taxes coming down the pike.

Air travel could go back to being affordable only to the affluent, with plebes splurging once every few years for a special trip.
I book enough travel for people that I have a decent sample size on this, and business travel is starting to return in the markets I serve (almost all US). It's still down from 2019 but up big even from 3 months ago.

By comparison, leisure bookings are actually way down the last 6 weeks or so. I think the combination of interest rates/economic worries and airline chaos is making people think twice.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I book enough travel for people that I have a decent sample size on this, and business travel is starting to return in the markets I serve (almost all US). It's still down from 2019 but up big even from 3 months ago.

By comparison, leisure bookings are actually way down the last 6 weeks or so. I think the combination of interest rates/economic worries and airline chaos is making people think twice.
I wonder about this, people have been wanting to travel and obviously airlines are desperate for the business, but by turning it into a nightmare are they scaring customers away?

I know I wont be getting on another plane for a good long time. What a fiasco.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #104
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I spent more time at Pearson T1 this past week than I'd wish on anyone. What an awful facility - anyone who complains about YYC should spend some time there.

I made the mistake of booking with a connection through Pearson ages ago before these issues were apparent. Only early morning flights from YYZ were getting out on time with delays getting progressively worse throughout the day thanks to cascading problems. Since so many flights touch Toronto it affects the entire nationwide network.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:24 PM   #105
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Already mentioned, but this is not just a Canadian problem and it definitely seems like the bigger the airport, the bigger the issues. This is the queue for security at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam yesterday, one of Europe's busiest airports. Airport told people not to come more than 4 hours prior to their flight but at the busiest point yesterday the wait was over 4.5 hours.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1543859049099313152
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #106
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I spent more time at Pearson T1 this past week than I'd wish on anyone. What an awful facility - anyone who complains about YYC should spend some time there.

I made the mistake of booking with a connection through Pearson ages ago before these issues were apparent. Only early morning flights from YYZ were getting out on time with delays getting progressively worse throughout the day thanks to cascading problems. Since so many flights touch Toronto it affects the entire nationwide network.

Yup...I avoid Toronto and Montreal right now as well as a few airports in the US that are bad right now. (Chicago and Charlotte)
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #107
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is YYC and YYJ right now? Sounds like not too bad? Got a flight with a 2 year old in a couple weeks...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:46 PM   #108
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so in april 2020 my wife and i had booked travel to LA - a week before we were supposed to go, travel was shut down and since then we have had a credit with Delta as we booked the flight via our RBC VISA rewards.

We are now trying to use our credit to book a flight to san diego in august, and it has been a struggle to get in touch with the right team at RBC. wife was on hold twice over the weekend for a total of 3 hrs. i was on hold this morning for 2.5hrs and then the power went out at home and my call was dropped.

when my wife looked at the flight we wanted there were only three seats left.

We seemingly cant do this transaction on-line....my wife may explode if we cant make these arrangement and we lose these credits.

As for me, i'd be happy going to fernie for 10 days to bike and golf as air travel has become too annoying.....
Old 07-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #109
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
How is YYC and YYJ right now?
Apparently 6% cancelled flights, 40%+ delayed flights.

Quote:
Sounds like not too bad? Got a flight with a 2 year old in a couple weeks...
Nevermind, you're screwed.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so in april 2020 my wife and i had booked travel to LA - a week before we were supposed to go, travel was shut down and since then we have had a credit with Delta as we booked the flight via our RBC VISA rewards.

We are now trying to use our credit to book a flight to san diego in august, and it has been a struggle to get in touch with the right team at RBC. wife was on hold twice over the weekend for a total of 3 hrs. i was on hold this morning for 2.5hrs and then the power went out at home and my call was dropped.

when my wife looked at the flight we wanted there were only three seats left.

We seemingly cant do this transaction on-line....my wife may explode if we cant make these arrangement and we lose these credits.

As for me, i'd be happy going to fernie for 10 days to bike and golf as air travel has become too annoying.....
Oh yeah, we have a similar story on a trip that was booked for May 2020 and then everything went to hell and trying to keep or use the credit became an unmitigated nightmare of waiting on hold.

Then when we finally rebooked the trip....it was December 2021 and Omicron hit.

Good times.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #111
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Already mentioned, but this is not just a Canadian problem and it definitely seems like the bigger the airport, the bigger the issues. This is the queue for security at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam yesterday, one of Europe's busiest airports. Airport told people not to come more than 4 hours prior to their flight but at the busiest point yesterday the wait was over 4.5 hours.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1543859049099313152
Thanks Trudeau.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 01:05 PM   #112
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is YYC and YYJ right now? Sounds like not too bad? Got a flight with a 2 year old in a couple weeks...
I flew YYC to YVR a couple of weeks ago on WestJet, and we were delayed about 60-90 minutes each way. Both delays originated with ground crew "issues" at YYC (even YVR-YYC because the previous flight from YYC was delayed).

All thing considered, I think that we did alright and I actually expected worse.

Of course, that was two weeks ago. All I can really suggest is to make sure you have enough to keep the little one entertained in the event of a delay, and pull out all of your parenting tricks. A piggyback ride around the terminal is a great way to kill some time and keep the kid stimulated. Food. Drinks. Screens. Whatever you have to do. But you're two years in - you know this already. Good luck!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 01:16 PM   #113
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Yup...I avoid Toronto and Montreal right now as well as a few airports in the US that are bad right now. (Chicago and Charlotte)
Damn, I am off to CLT in a couple of weeks. I have switched from ATL because I figured there is a lower chance of crap happening. Hopefully I can keep my charmed streak going.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #114
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Had pretty much zero issues about two weeks ago (Flair airlines). The security lineup in Victoria being about 30-40 mins was the only thing of note. Things may have changed since then of course.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #115
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

YYZ is the main culprit. I’ve been between YYC and YYZ numerous times recently, and although the main security line in Calgary can at times get a little longer, the one at Pearson is in a perpetual state of stretching for miles. There was some work-to-rule action by security staff there recently which hasn’t helped either.

If you can show up early for your flights and steer clear of Toronto, you’ll likely be fine.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #116
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

...so you're saying I shouldn't be currently looking at flights to Toronto to visit my buddy who recently moved there?

Would it greatly change things if I just brought a carry-on bag and avoided the complete gong show that is their baggage issues it seems, or is security really that bad that a personal trip there should currently be avoided at all costs, even with just a carry-on bag?

Glad I checked this thread first!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #117
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wonder about this, people have been wanting to travel and obviously airlines are desperate for the business, but by turning it into a nightmare are they scaring customers away?

I know I wont be getting on another plane for a good long time. What a fiasco.
I have an upcoming trip that I booked in late March, but if I didn't, there is no way I would bother trying to take a trip.

I have the time and and the money to travel, but this airline chaos has driven me away. I certainly won't book anything else until I see on-going evidence that things have improved.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:31 PM   #118
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westjet used to fly direct YYC to London ON. I suggest that everyone try that route and then just training in to Toronto if you must go.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #119
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Westjet used to fly direct YYC to London ON. I suggest that everyone try that route and then just training in to Toronto if you must go.
There are shuttles from London to Toronto airport that would be a mile cheaper if you are going that route. (possibly cheaper options than this, but this is the one I know - https://reservation.robertq.com/airbus/)

EDIT: I lied. they aren't as cheap as I remembered. The Go Train is trialing a London to Toronto route.. its probably your cheapest bet outside of a bus - but would probably take a while to get there.

Last edited by PeteMoss; 07-05-2022 at 02:50 PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #120
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went through Pearson on Sunday, flying back to YYC on Flair. Flight drastically changed three times, had to change the day and pay the difference for it (ended up paying over $500 total for a one-way flight with them LOL), online check-in was down and then back up, still had to check in with them once at YYZ, waited in line for an hour because other people have no idea how to travel, then had to wait another 40 mins in the security line, then the flight got delayed again once at the gate... doing this all with an extremely bad back, since I threw it out on Friday. Never again.

On the plus side, I enjoyed foregoing an Uber back downtown and instead taking the #300 BRT... only $11 instead of $87 and only a couple minutes longer in duration. Highly recommend!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote