Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #21
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
As it happens, this is my area of expertise.

First off, you've already made a mistake by talking to the owners. That never works. Anybody inconsiderate enough to let a problematic dog bother you isn't going to be considerate enough to accommodate you with solutions. Never engage these people. Best to leave yourself with plausible deniability that you're being bothered to maintain a neighbourly relationship.

So now, start keeping a log of dates and times of barking. You need to do this for 30 days. Then call bylaw, but whatever you do, don't raise it as a complaint about the dog. Even though it's actually illegal for a dog to bark in city limits, there are too many dog nutters working in bylaw enforcement that you won't get anywhere with them trying to get them in trouble because you're annoyed. They simply won't enforce the bylaw and they'll treat you like the #######. The good news is you can use their dog nuttiness against them. Call in with your deep concern for the welfare of the animals. Give them your log along with you concern that the animals are being neglected and mistreated evidenced by how upset they are.

Failing all that, shoot the fataing pos dogs with ice cubes out of a sling shot. The evidence melts and you're in the clear.

Don't bother with any of the high-pitched dog barking deterrents. They don't work. I had one facing my neighbour's place when we had this problem and it was 100% useless even on the most sensitive setting and highest volume deterrent sound.
Keeping a log with video should work, but there arenso many complaints, I doubt it would get much traction. The ice cube thing seems risky. It probably won’t stop them from barking, and if you’re caught on camera somehow, or by the owner…
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Slava if you play spice girls one more god damn time I'm calling you in
You're lucky, whenever I'm over at his house its all TLC and N'Sync.

What does 'chasing waterfalls' even mean??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:46 PM   #23
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Qualified by “causing disturbance”. It’s not an outright bark ban.
Every single bark is a disturbance to someone.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #24
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You're lucky, whenever I'm over at his house its all TLC and N'Sync.

What does 'chasing waterfalls' even mean??
You just didn't stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
You just didn't stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to
I'm used to them tho!! I'm an Accountant! I crave adventure!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 PM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Every single bark is a disturbance to someone.
I can see why you got the response you did from the dog lovers in bylaw.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:10 PM   #27
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As it happens, this is my area of expertise.

Failing all that, shoot the fataing pos dogs with ice cubes out of a sling shot. The evidence melts and you're in the clear.
Wait, what?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 12:02 AM   #28
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Wait, what?
Well, you’re only in the clear if you don’t post your animal abuse to social media.

Then everyone knows what sort of person you are.

Plus the people who thank your post. It’s all in good fun!
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I've never done the ice cube trick. My friend's dad is famous in our group for doing that, though. It was his move in the 80s. I actually also remember my dad jogging in the 80s and carrying a small club to smack dogs with after he was chased and had one nipping at him one time. I don't think he ever used it, though.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:46 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I've never done the ice cube trick. My friend's dad is famous in our group for doing that, though. It was his move in the 80s. I actually also remember my dad jogging in the 80s and carrying a small club to smack dogs with after he was chased and had one nipping at him one time. I don't think he ever used it, though.
What a loser (cube guy)
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 07:55 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What a loser (cube guy)
I can understand thinking this, but there isn't a lot you can do when a dog barks non stop and it's driving you nuts.

For greater context, this guy had a summer cottage on Shuswap Lake. His neighbours would go out boating all day and their dogs would freak the fata out the entire time the owners were gone. This was a remote part of the lake you had to boat to, so there weren't bylaw officers (if there were even bylaws). Neighbours didn't care that the dogs were bothering people. My buddy's family literally could not enjoy their cabin because of these animals.

The only way he could shut them up was to peg them with ice cubes periodically throughout the day. It saved their summer vacations.

Believe it or not, I don't like the idea of hurting an animal anymore than you, but in this case I think it was warranted given there were no other alternatives to keep these animals quiet.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, that’s awesome. I mean I can play music in my backyard, but if I was playing music and it causes a disturbance it’s against a bylaw.
The way they usually handle it for barking is if it's consistent for 15+ minutes, then it's considered a nuisance. The first few times it's reported they may just make a note of it, after a few complaints they might send a letter, few more they might send someone by the chat up the owner.

It can be handy though because the first thing they do is see if there's even a dog registered at that address. If it's not registered then they might come to say hi quite a bit sooner.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #33
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, that’s awesome. I mean I can play music in my backyard, but if I was playing music and it causes a disturbance it’s against a bylaw.
Not only that, but people are then free to launch projectiles at you.

Every Top 40 song played is a disturbance to someone.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #34
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The way they usually handle it for barking is if it's consistent for 15+ minutes, then it's considered a nuisance. The first few times it's reported they may just make a note of it, after a few complaints they might send a letter, few more they might send someone by the chat up the owner.

It can be handy though because the first thing they do is see if there's even a dog registered at that address. If it's not registered then they might come to say hi quite a bit sooner.
Whaaa? All dogs are suppose to be registered? How can you tell i’m not a dog owner.

What about people who are above the law and let their dogs off leash down city sidewalks? Yes i know most are harmless. Most.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #35
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Whaaa? All dogs are suppose to be registered? How can you tell i’m not a dog owner.

What about people who are above the law and let their dogs off leash down city sidewalks? Yes i know most are harmless. Most.
Most are harmless to your average pedestrian, but as a runner, many or most are not well trained enough to not to get excited by encounters with runners. Small dogs especially seem to always run under my feet, larger darks want to bark, chase, or jump up. I try to plan my routes to avoid areas where I regularly encounter dogs, but, oddly, running past or through official off leash areas is often a piece of cake because the dogs are well trained and busy playing with other dogs. Running through remote areas (not official off leash areas) where the owners of dogs with behavioral issues take their dogs off leash is the worst, because the dogs are terrible and you aren't expecting them. One time, I had a Rottweiler mix chasing me and snapping at my ankles, when I stopped to face the dog, the owner tried to give me #### for "staring it down." WTF... if you have a dog who can't make eye contact with humans, it should not be at large, anywhere, ever. Full stop.

Last edited by Nancy; 07-03-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #36
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a multi-verse of threads. Dog owners need to be responsible. Dogs are not above or equal to other humans and their rights to quiet enjoyment and safety at large from dogs at large encouraged by negligent owners.

Need we be reminded of the lady who was recently killed in Calgary or as Nancy says being accosted while the dog owners encourage and gleefully enjoy these skirmishes without acknowledging their inconsiderate behaviour.

I have friends who have a large dog, that when you attend mauls you and nips at you, while clawing your clothing. They think it's cute. I make it a point not to attend any of their events. Sad for me, but the dog is sure happy to maul people and bite them and get super rowdy.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #37
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm used to them tho!! I'm an Accountant! I crave adventure!!
Cant you see everything from the helicopter anyways ???