Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Emile Poirier update

Currently at Flames Season Ticket Holder meeting.

Emile Poirier has moved to Calgary as of a couple weeks ago. He will be working hard all summer directly with Ryan van Asten.

He went through some painful personal issues. He called Brad Treliving directly. Flames have been helping and supporting him.

He has rededicated himself to his hockey career and Brad Treliving believes he will come through the other side. Treliving really likes the player.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 133 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
3thirty, 442scotty, Allos, Anduril, anyonebutedmonton, apiquard, badger89, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, Bezer, BigT112, blankall, BloodFetish, Boblobla, bubbsy, Bunk, Calgary '89, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybean, calgarybornnraised, cammy13, Captain Hair, Cheese, circle, Cole436, cral12, Cycling76er, D as in David, Dan403, DaQwiz, daveinspruce, DeanOMac, Demaeon, devo22, dissentowner, drewtastic, DropIt, dustygoon, Erick Estrada, fanman, Flambé, Flamboyant 14, Flamesfan2010, flamesrule14, Flames_F.T.W, Flamezzz, flame^thrower, FlatLandFlamesFan, Francis's Hairpiece, Frank MetaMusil, Freeway, Frequitude, Galakanokis, Gaskal, Gaudfather, Geordano, getbak, Gondi Stylez, GranteedEV, GreenHardHat, greentree, Groot, Har-Calgary, HERIONBEER, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hockey-and_stuff, hockey.modern, Iceman57, IliketoPuck, Imported_Aussie, Iniggywetrust, Isikiz, Itse, Jacks, jaymac106, jayswin, Johnny Makarov, KelVarnsen, killer_carlson, kkaleR, Lil Pedro, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, Machiavelli, MarkGio, midniteowl, Monahan For Mayor, monkeyman, Mony, Mustache, N-E-B, nemanja2306, Phaneuf, psyang, Radio, rayne008, redforever, Reign of Fire, Resolute 14, Rickbo, Robo, rogermexico, Roof-Daddy, Samonadreau, Savvy27, Since1984, smiggy77, SOMBRI2, Split98, StAlbertFlame, Stay Golden, Steve Bozek, Stillman16, StrykerSteve, Tailgator, Textcritic, The Big Chill, The Fonz, The Hendog, the2bears, the_only_turek_fan, tko, Toonage, TopChed, UKflames, united, wired, wireframe, wwkayaker, Yrebmi, Zarley, Zulu29
Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's so great to hear. Way to go Emile
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you so much for the update. This is the guy that I'm most excited about this year and that includes Smith, Hamonic and Foo. I have a really, really good feeling he's going to have a break out season. I'm not sure why but I am convinced that Poirier is going to play a significant role in Calgary in 2017-2018
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

At the end of the day, it's just a game. Glad to see the Flames organization show support to their players.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's nice to hear. I liked the pick at the time, he has all the physical tools you'd want.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Emile reached out to Treliving and that it appears the organization has responded in a positive manner is a good sign. It also shows the all the players that support is there if needed.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is great to hear and I'm happy for Poirier. It also speaks volumes to the Flames as a franchise and I'm sure goes a long way when their players know they're supported. Good luck Emile.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Personal issues are always awful but hopefully it helps knowing he has the whole C of Red behind him!

You can do it Emile!
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

as someone who lost ppl.. years... etc.. to substance abuse and addiction.. i wish him the best.. and know he can make a full recovery and get back on track.. i am pulling for him more then ever and think hes now one of my favorite prospects to watch.

people on this forum love to gossip... whisper.. talk in secrets about flames players.. but emile had the will to seek help and get it for himself.. good for him. nothing but the best.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
as someone who lost ppl.. years... etc.. to substance abuse and addiction.. i wish him the best.. and know he can make a full recovery and get back on track.. i am pulling for him more then ever and think hes now one of my favorite prospects to watch.

people on this forum love to gossip... whisper.. talk in secrets about flames players.. but emile had the will to seek help and get it for himself.. good for him. nothing but the best.
I don't seem to recall ever reading anyone speculating that his was related to addiction issues.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but i can only remember the team saying he was on personal leave and didn't give a reason.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Emile can still have an NHL career with us. Would imagine he needs a season to get back into rhythm though. I remember pencilling him in on a line with Gaudreau and Bennett the moment Sam was drafted.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #12
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was really hoping the Flames would lose Brouwer to the expansion draft, Bouma to trade, and genuinely open some spots up for guys like Poirer. There's just so many wingers in the system pushing that period where they should be ready for the NHL, such as Poirer, Klimchuck, Shinkaruk, Jankowski, and to a lesser extent Mangiapane.

Hopefully the Flames don't sign too many guys this off season and legitimately have a spot open for the best prospect. And I'm personally hoping it's Poirer
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #13
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

This is terrific news. Good for Emile, I'm rooting for him to turn things around.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always viewed Poirier as a dark horse.
He was taken ~10 spots ahead of where most lists had him, but he always seemed like he was going to prove the flames right for taking him there.
I'm hopeful he still can!
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had this vision of a Ferland - Bennett - Poirier line in my head for a long time. Size, speed, and a little bit nasty.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

best of luck to the kid!

Hockey should be a secondary consideration to getting his life straightened out... however I am definitely cheering for him to make it to the NHL as a regular contributor!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #17
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play with heart and passion and he can make this happen. Wishing Poirier the best.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #18
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this kid could realize his potential it would go a long way to solving our RW problems. Hope he turns his life around.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I've had this vision of a Ferland - Bennett - Poirier line in my head for a long time. Size, speed, and a little bit nasty.
More than a little imo, those first 2 don't lose many fights
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don't seem to recall ever reading anyone speculating that his was related to addiction issues.

I agree with the sentiment of your post but i can only remember the team saying he was on personal leave and didn't give a reason.
It was news that came out earlier this month I think? I believe it was a confirmed source.