Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #1281
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Honestly I think I fall on the side of whomever fronts the money on the ticket tax portion is the side that's contributing it. Calling it a ticket tax is mostly just propaganda at this point anyways.

I dislike King referring to it as "Flames contribution" because it implies that there is no way for any partner to draw revenue from the project. That the only definition in Ken King land of contribution is a loss taken by the "partner". I don't appreciate being called a partner and references to investment when all they appear to be looking for is a handout.

The city offered them $185,000,000.00 for free. And they turn their noses up at it?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #1282
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

All this talk of a ticket tax sucks. It keeps reminding me how much more expensive everything is going to be.

If it was about $50-60 to sit in the 2nd level greens 3-5 years ago, it is now closer to $80 and equivalent seats will likely be closer to $120 or more in the new building.

I recently bought concert tickets that were $45 face and cost me $70 total because of fees. That is only going to get worse with a ticket tax right? Is a $120 FV Flames ticket going to cost more like $175 after fees are added on?

This assumes tickets are purcahsed from ticketmaster.

How would the ticket tax apply to STHs? Would it be built into their ticket price? Excluded? Added on as a surcharge? Curious how that would affect buying tickets on CP for FV.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #1283
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
LOL. Stick to reporting the news rather than commenting it. Those demands are absurd regardless of when they were made.
WTF dude... in a whole thread of commentary you come up with this gem?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #1284
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Ken King was beginning to resemble Potter from It's a Wonderful Life, but now I'm convinced this is more accurate.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Tell me I'm wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #1285
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm still laughing at King using the phrase "Our citizens".
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #1286
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The Flames are simultaneously expressing a desire to "pay back" through a CRL and disappointment with their existing arena's inability to spur development... did I get that right?

The tricky thing here is sorting out the stuff the Flames know are ridiculous, "because negotiations", from the stuff they actually think they should get. But the city's offer is more than fair. Any other business would take it.

And yeah, if you have a house/car/whatever you probably pay more than 100% on it. That's how taxes work.

Last edited by SebC; 09-16-2017 at 04:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #1287
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ticket tax is still being paid by the fans. It doesnt cut into the bottom line, rather is added on top. Its not the flames paying it, its the fans and its a gauranteed stream as long as they put a decent product on the ice. They can say its cutting into their revenue but its not cutting into thw bottom line and is comming out of fans pockets and is realized by the fan when they purchase a ticket. Like gst or pst. Fans will still pay and the building will be full.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #1288
mccalgary71
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ticket tax is still being paid by the fans. It doesnt cut into the bottom line, rather is added on top. Its not the flames paying it, its the fans and its a gauranteed stream as long as they put a decent product on the ice. They can say its cutting into their revenue but its not cutting into thw bottom line and is comming out of fans pockets and is realized by the fan when they purchase a ticket. Like gst or pst. Fans will still pay and the building will be full.
Of course it cuts into Flames revenue. When setting prices they have to take the tax into account when figuring out how high the market will pay. Cone on. Common sense.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mccalgary71 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:01 AM   #1289
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

-ticket tax is propaganda so that fans may be willing to pay a higher price, and to avoid putting that amount into HRR

-what matters in this negotiation is who is fronting that money: city or team.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #1290
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyBelow View Post
Sigh* microeconomics. I'll try and take a stab at it. Thinking about tax incidence, the burden of the tax depends on the price elasticity of supply and demand. From what the Flames are saying, I would believe that the price elasticity of demand is relatively inelastic. They've indicated that the amount of the proposed tax is a value that they could have charged either way, implying that consumers are price takers; I'm assuming within the limits of what a realistic tax rate would be. So my understanding is that the burden of the tax would ultimately fall on the consumer, as everyone here is intuitively suggesting. From this perspective, I'd feel like CSEC is simply trying to distort this understanding and have got it ultimately wrong... assuming I've got this simplified view right.
Flames (and most sports team) are also typically pretty bad at pricing anyways.

I assume the Flames have at least got on board with dynamic pricing so a game against the Leafs is more expensive than a game against the Panthers but ticket brokers basically exist because teams under price their own tickets for high demand games.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #1291
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Watched King's conference just now. There are obviously two sides to every story, but I think agree with the Flames on this one. The amount of money the team brings into the city, be it through taxes, charitable endeavours, international tourism, etc. certainly needs to be considered when talking about what's in it for the city to be contributing something.

This isn't a restaurant we're talking about here. This is the Calgary Flames. They are the epicentre of this city. Do what needs to be done and get this done, for goodness sake.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #1292
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What metric are you using for these rankings?

Cause, other than existing stadium, San Diego and Oakland simply cannot be classified as bottom 5 market....which is why they have moved/are moving.

St Louis also falls into that category.
San Diego is a bottom five media market in the NFL.

I was wrong on Oakland so fair point there. They do share their market with the Giants which adds complications to the calculation - but if you go with a 50/50 split they are more middle of the pack.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #1293
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
No one is questioning whether King is a nice guy in private or a good guy in general. The discussion is about how he is doing is his job which is being the public face of the business side of the Flames.
Yes,which in the post you quoted I discussed that exact thing. And stated that he wasn't coming off well.

And this shouldn't be the discussion. It's something the "anti public money" side is clinging to. It doesn't matter if you think he's doing a good job or not. All that matters is where the funds come from.

It isn't a personality contest. It's a tax and public benefit discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #1294
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccalgary71 View Post
Of course it cuts into Flames revenue. When setting prices they have to take the tax into account when figuring out how high the market will pay. Cone on. Common sense.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
A consumers willingness to pay is mostly psychological. Why do you think retailers price a lot of items at 4.99, 99, 999? A ticket tax is no different. It's a way of separating the Flames from the added cost and allows them to market their product at a lower price, making it more palatable to the consumer.
Do acts lower the price of their concert tickets due to the ticket tax when passing through Edmonton or do they just add the tax on top of their existing price?
Bottom line, a ticket tax will not prevent the Flames from increasing prices on tickets along with everything else in a new arena.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #1295
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Watched King's conference just now. There are obviously two sides to every story, but I think agree with the Flames on this one. The amount of money the team brings into the city, be it through taxes, charitable endeavours, international tourism, etc. certainly needs to be considered when talking about what's in it for the city to be contributing something.

This isn't a restaurant we're talking about here. This is the Calgary Flames. They are the epicentre of this city. Do what needs to be done and get this done, for goodness sake.
What taxes do the team bring into the city?

I'd also probably put the international tourism at 'negligible' when talking about benefit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #1296
mcjmcj
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default transit and police

I am fine with Flames ownership arguing that the city's propsal is unfair because the revenues the city would come from the Flames, but if the owners are arguing for transit or lrt to be free during game dsys and they dont pay costs for police, I think that is equally unreasonable.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #1297
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
-what matters in this negotiation is who is fronting that money: city or team.
Not really. All of the principal and interest would be covered through the tax, so it really comes down to having the ability to borrow that much money and the risk of default. Neither is really an issue in this situation. Whoever fronts the money is simply a middleman.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #1298
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

What about the amount of money calgarians bring to the flames? When I pay for my season tickets, I get to watch hockey games and the flames make money. It's a straightforward transaction. With an arena, if my tax dollars are paying for it my return is I get the opportunity to spend money at the arena and the flames make money. If no tax dollars are used, tax payers get the exact same return, an arena to pay to watch events at which will make the flames money. The flames don't need us to pay anything, they want us to because not paying for something is cheaper than paying for something. I wasn't completely opposed to some public money going to the arena, but the way the flames have approached this whole negotiation has been cringe worthy. They need to come up with a better excuse for why we should pay for it than "Edmonton paid for the Oilers' new building"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #1299
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
What taxes do the team bring into the city?
Property tax and income taxes from all their employees. While it is a fair statement to make, it doesn't take into account the amount of tax payer funded resources the flames require to operate their business so it's a bit of a moot point.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #1300
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
If the answer is - nobody, the city would have to build at 100% their cost, then in that context, the current city proposal is as unfair to the Flames as King says it is...is it not?
In your scenario, the City would get 100% of the revenue from the building.

If the City pays for 1/3 of the building and pays 1/3 the operating costs and receives 1/3 of the revenue, this would all be pretty easy to swallow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread