Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #201
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't know whether to put this in the iPad thread or in the Mac Mini thread, so I'll put it in the general thread.

Yesterday my Mac Mini arrived and it set up perfectly. Love it. Love it so much I want to take it with me to Halifax when I go next week. However, I'll be staying at my mother's house.... not exactly on the cutting edge of technology is she. She still has a CRT monitor for her computer and her TV is 20 years old. I'll pack a keyboard and mouse, but really don't want to pack a monitor into my suitcase. Is there any means of using my iPad as an output monitor from my Mini? Someone suggested AirDisplay, but in reading about it, it only seems to work as a secondary output screen, not as a primary screen.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #202
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are you using it for? Just watching movies (air video) or doing work/general access (teamviewer) ? Or something more complicated then that?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #203
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I didn't know whether to put this in the iPad thread or in the Mac Mini thread, so I'll put it in the general thread.

Yesterday my Mac Mini arrived and it set up perfectly. Love it. Love it so much I want to take it with me to Halifax when I go next week. However, I'll be staying at my mother's house.... not exactly on the cutting edge of technology is she. She still has a CRT monitor for her computer and her TV is 20 years old. I'll pack a keyboard and mouse, but really don't want to pack a monitor into my suitcase. Is there any means of using my iPad as an output monitor from my Mini? Someone suggested AirDisplay, but in reading about it, it only seems to work as a secondary output screen, not as a primary screen.
Also, AirDisplay works over WiFi so it's not acceptable for watching videos of any type.

You can use AirDisplay as your primary monitor (as in your menu bar and dock appear on it) but I don't know if the Mini would boot without a monitor plugged in (I assume it would).

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #204
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post

How about using a VNC app on your ipad to connect to your Mini? I think this should work. May not be as quick but I figure this should work in theory. You could test it here to see if it would fulfill your requirements.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #205
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Is the lack of a flash drive a problem with the iPod Classic? I need the increased storage, but am a bit concerned about the response time and such because of past models that I have owned, all with a normal hard drive, and all of them had a problem freezing.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #206
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is the lack of a flash drive a problem with the iPod Classic? I need the increased storage, but am a bit concerned about the response time and such because of past models that I have owned, all with a normal hard drive, and all of them had a problem freezing.
My older iPod (30GB) had the freezing problem, but I've had the 120GB Classic for a year or two and it never does that. It's obviously not as fast as a flash drive but it's not bad at all. The biggest "lag" is going to the main menu and getting album art in the background. Otherwise, switching tracks is smooth.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #207
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Even when you're doing shuffle on 40,000 songs? That is where I've noticed the biggest problem.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #208
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Even when you're doing shuffle on 40,000 songs? That is where I've noticed the biggest problem.
I don't use shuffle with every single song on my iPod. Out of the 65GB on it, I can bet there are 10-15GB of songs I don't want to listen to, but came with an album, discography, etc.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #209
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

aTV Flash (black) is now out of beta for the ATV2. If you want to use your Apple TV without the restrictions Apple puts on it, this would help you. Cost is $30.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

Last edited by Russic; 11-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #210
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
aTV Flash (black) is now out of beta for the ATV2. If you want to use your Apple TV without the restrictions Apple puts on it, this would help you. Cost is $30.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black
Have you tried this out? Does it add something above a free jailbreaking method?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #211
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I haven't given it a whirl. I've heard that you can basically do all these things with free jail breaking, but that this is a more simplified method.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #212
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I enter this thread as someone who enjoys a mixed computing life. Far from an Apple fanboy, but an owner of an iPhone and an Airport Express, I use PCs for all of my main computing at home and at work. I like them, they work for me, and I often think that Windows gets dumped on more than it deserves.

That being said, my boss has told me to get a laptop for work. My budget is $1300, and it will primarily be used for travelling. The bonus is that I'll get to use it for personal use as well. I am looking for something light, thin, and fast. Storage is not important, and it will not be used for anything "intense" like gaming, graphics, multimedia (other than watching the odd film on the plane), etc.

The only function that I require for work is that I be able to connect to our office via our VPN and remotely control my Windows machine here. I know that it can already do that quite easily. For my personal things, I will continue to use my main Windows "server" machine for pretty much everything else at home. Storage, streaming media, any work that requires a bit of power (graphics, photo editing), etc.

I have also been curious to learn more about Macs and their operating system, although I don't foresee that I'll ever fully convert over. But for a lightweight travel laptop, the Macbook Air (13.3") seems like it will fit my needs perfectly. Comparable Windows "ultrathin" laptops are not a whole lot cheaper, and since I have a few Windows computers in my life already, and because this one is not on my dime, it seems like a perfect chance to give it a whirl.

Have I done a good enough job talking myself into a Macbook Air? Anyone want to talk me out of it? Also, rumour has it that all models of Macbook Air will be $100 this Friday, both online and in the store.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #213
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Have I done a good enough job talking myself into a Macbook Air? .
Yes, so long as you are sure your VPN solution is supported on OSx.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #214
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Yes, so long as you are sure your VPN solution is supported on OSx.
It's a pretty simple PPTP setup, and a guy who worked here a couple of years ago had a Mac and he was able to connect without much fuss.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #215
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's a pretty simple PPTP setup, and a guy who worked here a couple of years ago had a Mac and he was able to connect without much fuss.
PPTP is natively supported, I use it all the time.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #216
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could always bootcamp into Windows 7 couldnt you if it didnt work? There is no doubt currently Apple hardware is likely the best you can get.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #217
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
You could always bootcamp into Windows 7 couldnt you if it didnt work? There is no doubt currently Apple hardware is likely the best you can get.
Even better, use VMWare Fusion or Parallels - then you can simultaneously run VPN in the VM and have the other OS not on the tunnel at all. Great for places that don't implement split tunnelling properly and force all internet traffic over the VPN slowing everything down, when all you need is one app up and working on the VPN.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #218
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

MacX DVD Ripper Pro is now available free for the first 30000 users. This version does not include updates or tech support but the price is right.

http://www.macxdvd.com/giveaway/giveaway.htm

Last edited by CKPThunder; 11-23-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: can't spell
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CKPThunder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #219
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Perfect! Thank you! Since the free Mac the Ripper does't work on Lion I was ripping my DVD's on the old slow G5..... this will work nicely.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #220
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
So I enter this thread as someone who enjoys a mixed computing life. Far from an Apple fanboy, but an owner of an iPhone and an Airport Express, I use PCs for all of my main computing at home and at work. I like them, they work for me, and I often think that Windows gets dumped on more than it deserves.

That being said, my boss has told me to get a laptop for work. My budget is $1300, and it will primarily be used for travelling. The bonus is that I'll get to use it for personal use as well. I am looking for something light, thin, and fast. Storage is not important, and it will not be used for anything "intense" like gaming, graphics, multimedia (other than watching the odd film on the plane), etc.

The only function that I require for work is that I be able to connect to our office via our VPN and remotely control my Windows machine here. I know that it can already do that quite easily. For my personal things, I will continue to use my main Windows "server" machine for pretty much everything else at home. Storage, streaming media, any work that requires a bit of power (graphics, photo editing), etc.

I have also been curious to learn more about Macs and their operating system, although I don't foresee that I'll ever fully convert over. But for a lightweight travel laptop, the Macbook Air (13.3") seems like it will fit my needs perfectly. Comparable Windows "ultrathin" laptops are not a whole lot cheaper, and since I have a few Windows computers in my life already, and because this one is not on my dime, it seems like a perfect chance to give it a whirl.

Have I done a good enough job talking myself into a Macbook Air? Anyone want to talk me out of it? Also, rumour has it that all models of Macbook Air will be $100 this Friday, both online and in the store.
As cost is one of the biggest issues with people buying Apple products I'd say this situation is perfect.

My suggestion: as it is a travel computer, give serious consideration to the 11". For things like an airplane tray the 11" would fit better than the 13". Go to an Apple store and play around with both (that's what swayed me towards the 11).
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: