Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default Transfer iPhone profile from one device to another

Hope you guys can help me out with this one. My wife and I upgraded to iPhone 5s a few months ago, and we gave my son one of the old 3GS phones to use for himself. It's been into iphix a couple of times for repairs, and now has a brand new issue. I figure no big deal, I could just give him my old 3GS.

So I sync'd both phones and then wiped mine. I then plugged it into the computer with his and my wife's iTunes accounts; and re-sync'd it. Here's where I screwed up; apparently I failed to notice that it was set to not sync apps. So it also didn't backup his apps.

I plugged in his old phone, but now iTunes doesn't recognize it. The reason this is an issue- I still has iOS 4.3 running on the 3GS phones, and I had "Find my iPhone" still working on those. Now it tells me that I need iOS 5; because that's what the current version of the app needs.

Does anybody have a good suggestion on how to revert everything back so I can try this again? Or at least how to get Find My iPhone working on his "new" 3GS?

The worst part of this; I also don't think I can go to iOS 5.1 now as 6.1 is the only version available. I have just heard so much about how the newer OS on and older phone just kills the performance.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

iOS 6 runs fine on the 3gs
Old 03-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go with iOS 6. I never experienced any problems with mine related to performance.

edit: Although, it did kill video AirPlay from my phone to my Apple TV (audio was fine)

Last edited by Rathji; 03-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

An apple store can restore various iOS version back onto phones.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

iOS 6 on the 3gs should be fine. Apple stripped out a lot of features though. Siri, panorama, FaceTime, Navigation, Fly over etc.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Might find some tweaking info here:

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=82271
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

OK, here is my next question then. If I upgrade to iOS 6 and my son doesn't like it; can I wipe the phone and then bring it back to iOS 4? Assuming of course I run the upgrade from the phone and don't sync it to iTunes before attempting to revert back.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
OK, here is my next question then. If I upgrade to iOS 6 and my son doesn't like it; can I wipe the phone and then bring it back to iOS 4? Assuming of course I run the upgrade from the phone and don't sync it to iTunes before attempting to revert back.
No, you can't (no easily anyways). Honestly, there isn't a reason to not go to iOS 6. Apple did a decent job balancing the feature set so that the older hardware isn't overwhelmed - As MMF pointed out, they stripped out the high end features that would have killed the older hardware. It'll look/feel/run essentially the same.

You're overthinking this.

You're going to pick up some handy features too, such as iMessage, that you wouldn't have on iOS 4.

(and here's my Saturday morning haven't had coffee snark - how old is your son? He's damaged his previous phone, which was fixed a bunch of times, now you're giving him another, and you're worried about whether he'll like the OS?)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

No need to appologize- that's a fair question and I really appreciate the input!

He is 13. I am not sure how much of the repairs were caused by physical damage on his old phone. And if it was all physical damage, I do believe when my wife had the phone it had a much rougher ride than my phone.

First repair was to fix the "charging not supported with this accessory" issue. Apparently there is a transfer cable from the 30 pin adapter to the battery that failed. Seems common enough that there were enough DIY sites on the web. I chose to take it to iPhix and paid to get it fixed.

Twice after that the home button stopped responding. The first was less than a week after iPhix had done the other repair, then again a month later. This has actually led me to question iPhix more than anything else. I will say though they stood behind their work and fixed it under warranty both times.

Now the issue with the old phone is that the speaker that goes to your ear for phone calls isn't working. He was able to use the phone if he had headphones plugged in; but that was obviously a pain.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
You can (easily) if it's jailbroken and you had saved the shsh blogs, if you don't have those, unfortunately downgrading is impossible (as far as i know).

If you're still at 4.1 and only want to go to 5.1, that's super simple. all u need to do is, is download the IOS 5.1 software (search it from Redmonpie and they'll have it, with detailed instructions).

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-5...fficial-links/
(here is the link for windows, just download it and then open itunes, plug in the phone, and hold down the "ctrl" and click restore. it will open an open file dialogue and select the file you just downloaded. it will do it's thing.) note this will only work for upgrading from 5.1 and lower, there's no downgrading a non-jailbroken phone.

Last edited by smoothpops; 03-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post: