Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Do you need to have a realtor?

Do you need to have a realtor?

For example if you find a home you like, but haven't chosen a realtor yet - do you really need to retain one?
Or can you just deal directly with the one who is listing the home.

Maybe this falls into the "stupid question"; but genuinely curious as to pros and cons.

Last edited by First Lady; 03-17-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Let me ask why you would want the person representing you to also represent the seller whom the realtor has built a stronger relationship with during the course of the listing
vs
Having someone who does not care about the sellers and is genuinely interested in only you as the buyer.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Let me ask why you would want the person representing you to also represent the seller whom the realtor has built a stronger relationship with during the course of the listing
vs
Having someone who does not care about the sellers and is genuinely interested in only you as the buyer.
Guess this is why I was asking.

Is it truly impossible for the selling agent to act fairly to both parties?

Wouldn't there be some motivation with the commission? I presume they would get a larger % would they not?

If there are two agents sharing the commission isn't it in both their interests to keep the selling price high?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Commission a Buyer's agent earns on a $400,000 home offering a commission fee of 3.5% on the 1st $100,000 & 1.5% on the balance is $8,000.

If that $400,000 home is negotiated up to $410,000 - the extra money the Buyer's agent earns in commission is maybe a hundred dollars at best.

Hardly worth it to conspire against your client and work in the Seller's best interest if you ask me. I would rather have a happy Buyer giving me out future referrals for doing such a great job in negotiations.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1stLand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
The Commission a Buyer's agent earns on a $400,000 home offering a commission fee of 3.5% on the 1st $100,000 & 1.5% on the balance is $8,000.

If that $400,000 home is negotiated up to $410,000 - the extra money the Buyer's agent earns in commission is maybe a hundred dollars at best.

Hardly worth it to conspire against your client and work in the Seller's best interest if you ask me. I would rather have a happy Buyer giving me out future referrals for doing such a great job in negotiations.
Okay, good point on the excess amounts over 100K.

If the commission is the same for both seller and buyers agents; wouldn't a single agent be more likely to adjust it to benefit both parties? For example reducing purchase price for buyer and reducing expense for seller.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
vs
When we sold our last house, our realtor also worked with the buyer. In the end, I really felt like we got jacked because she promised something to the buyer on our behalf, if he gave us full asking - and she didn't discuss it with us first. I don't know if I've ever been angrier in my life. Sure, we got full asking but it cost us another $700 in the process. If you're going to spend my money for me, you'd better fecking be asking me if it's ok first.

So yeah. If the house is listed through a realtor and not on welist, or FSBO or one of those outfits where you're dealing with the owner on a one-on-one level, I would absolutely get my own real estate agent to help me in the buying process. Never again would we let the other way happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why Use a REALTOR

Value of a REALTOR

http://www.creb.com/public/why-use-a...-a-realtor.php
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never used a realtor when I purchased my condo from the original owner, just a lawyer. Had absolutely no problems. Do your research on the place and use a combination of wit / common sense when negotiating with the selling party.

Although, I do see there can value in using a realtor, but you don't really need them if you're confident in your own abilities and the transaction is pretty straight foward.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Don't expect a lawyer can give you all the same advice a realtor can (and for free).
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the property is listed with a realtor already, there is absolutely no reason to not use your own realtor, and a number of reasons why you really should.

The seller's realtor is hired by and paid by the seller, and will be primarily loyal to them. You will have to act in "customer" status, which means you get less advice than when you're represented by your own agent.

People seem to think they're going to get some sort of commission break for doing this, but in my experience having talked to those who have done it they pay more than they would have if they got their own agent. Having someone asking questions on your behalf is valuable, imo.

I'm not a realtor, but I would never not use one to buy a property I found on MLS.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Don't expect a lawyer can give you all the same advice a realtor can (and for free).
Correct, that's why I mentioned do your own research first.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If the property is listed with a realtor already, there is absolutely no reason to not use your own realtor, and a number of reasons why you really should.

The seller's realtor is hired by and paid by the seller, and will be primarily loyal to them. You will have to act in "customer" status, which means you get less advice than when you're represented by your own agent.

People seem to think they're going to get some sort of commission break for doing this, but in my experience having talked to those who have done it they pay more than they would have if they got their own agent. Having someone asking questions on your behalf is valuable, imo.

I'm not a realtor, but I would never not use one to buy a property I found on MLS.
Yeah the possibility of a small price break did cross my mind. The property we are looking at has had 2 significant price drops; so it's unlikely that another broker will be able to negotiate it down much more.

However, I can certainly appreciate that having our own representative could still help make the whole process smoother.

With that in mind - What questions should we ask to help us choose one?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought my house without a realtor, but I was confident enough to negotiate without one.

I basically deducted the buying agent's commissions from what I would have offered. and told them that was why I was offering such a low amount.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Realtor is cheap insurance. I mean, you are making a huge investment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. What is a couple extra thousand to make sure it is done right?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
What is a couple extra thousand to make sure it is done right?
It's a couple extra thousand.

That money could be used more productively elsewhere at places like Subway, a Best Western or the arcade at the airport.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Yeah the possibility of a small price break did cross my mind. The property we are looking at has had 2 significant price drops; so it's unlikely that another broker will be able to negotiate it down much more.

However, I can certainly appreciate that having our own representative could still help make the whole process smoother.

You can't think that because they dropped twice already they wont be willing to go down much further. This brings up an additional advantage to having a realtor. In a situation where the property keeps dropping in price I personally would prepare a market analysis on the home and determine what the real asking price should be. If you list 100k over market value and then drop 50k, you as a buyer might think your getting a great deal by having another 20k negotiated off the price.

As for questions to ask... having a instant connection with the real estate agent and having them listen to you while giving pointers would be 2 of the most important things for me if I was looking for one. Additionally, experience is critical.
I would also look for a realtor who sponsors a site that I like to frequent :P

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post

Not to be disagreeable, but this is absolutely the wrong way of looking at it. You should try to get it for what it's worth (or less). The asking price really has nothing to do with the value, imo. Two price drops could easily be a seller who needs to sell, and would drop a lot more for a credible offer.

I think you'll almost certainly get a better deal with a realtor, and that's what I would do if I was buying.

As for picking one, I'd build a shortlist of 2-3 via referrals from people you trust and the credible sponsors of websites you enjoy who seem to provide excellent service. Then, meet with them to get a feel for how your personalities work together. Ask what type of things they'd try to point out when you toured a house, what type of negotiating strategy they'd use on a situation like the one you described, and maybe get them to do a market evaluation on the area you're considering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my present house without an agent, approached the listing agent set up several viewings, liked the house offered a brutally low offer (250 on an asking price of 280) which teed off the agent no end, told her I didn't care where the money came from, her fee or the vendors as long as I wasn't paying it, it was a dead market at the time and so a week later they accepted.

Mind you this was the 4th house I had bought so had an idea of what to do (know the market and be comfortable being a complete prick) wasn't a problem, still in the house, now worth 800,000.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the feedback everyone and thanks to those who have PM'd me too with additional info. It has been very helpful.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to track any sort of stat for it, but my experience would say 90% of those buyers who think they're saving by going alone, are actually paying more.

If you came through my listing without an agent, I know I'm likely getting my sellers more money, and keeping more commission. You only person who loses is you.