Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Shaw HDPVR help please (dcx 3510 feedback)

If there is already a discussion on this elsewhere, please provide me the link and I will look there.

I am with Shaw and currently own a Motorola DCT 6416 III HDPVR, but because it does not have mpeg4 capabilities, I am apparently not able to view certain HD channels like NHLCI, NFLST, FXCHD, and National Geographic World.

Anyways, shaws newest HDPVR option for viewing mpeg4 is the motorola DCX-3510, but there seems to be some awful reviews on it- very slow guide loading, recording issues etc..

Anyone else switch to the 3510 and have any feedback on it? Any better options for getting a HDPvR with mpeg4 capabilities?

I have an excellent tv (samsung55D8000)- will mpeg4 channels have a noticeably better picture?

Thanks.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't have one, but try reading this: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=157621

My neighbor works for Shaw and he told me the 3510 is the first device they've programmed in house. The team working on it is small and is having a hard time resolving the issues it has. I'd wait until they get it working properly.

No, mpeg4 won't give you a better picture in my experience. It just uses better compression so they can offer more channels with the same bandwidth.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. Not sure I want to wait until these glitches are worked out. Might just pick up the DCX-3400.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I probably wouldn't pick up the DCX-3400 if I were you. DCX3510 has the new HD guide and since the updates to the client code are pushed by Shaw you are likely to get patches for speed issues fairly quickly (month-ish depending on their release cycle). DCX-3400 is on the older Moto style guide and it's debatable whether it'll ever get the newer guide system at all. Not sure if Moto even still actively updates the code for that.

Basically with the 3400 you'll likely be stuck on last gen's hardware and software. 3510s while they have issues now, will probably be fixed.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I probably wouldn't pick up the DCX-3400 if I were you. DCX3510 has the new HD guide and since the updates to the client code are pushed by Shaw you are likely to get patches for speed issues fairly quickly (month-ish depending on their release cycle). DCX-3400 is on the older Moto style guide and it's debatable whether it'll ever get the newer guide system at all. Not sure if Moto even still actively updates the code for that.

Basically with the 3400 you'll likely be stuck on last gen's hardware and software. 3510s while they have issues now, will probably be fixed.
On the flipside...if it takes a year for the 3510 to get to a reasonable state, and you can find a 3400 for a good price, I'd say go for it. Even though the guide isn't great looking on the 3400, it's the best PVR I've had.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm, is the 3400 guide the same as every other shaw box? I am ok with that. I know the new guide on the 3510 is supposed to be pretty cool- only that it lags quite a bit. The complaints I am seeing in shaw forums were only written a month ago- doubt much has been resolved since then.

The 3400 is $250 and the 3510 is $350. The price difference is small enough that I just want to get the better functioning one.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
dercoch
Draft Pick

I just bought the 3510 from Shaw, and do find that the guide loads slowly at times. There are times when you'll push the "page up" button on the remote and have to wait a few seconds for the guide to respond. It's not the end of the world, but I could see it bothering some people. It doesn't happen every time, but it's not uncommon so far.

This is my first PVR, so I don't know what to compare it to. I do like that the guide only displays the channels that I subscribe to. I've only recorded a couple of shows, but that part of it seems to be working well.

Last edited by dercoch; 01-20-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added info
dercoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have more than one HD TV in the house you could also look at the Gateway - the set up is more expensive than a single HDPVR, but a Gateway + 2 portals is more cost effective than 2 (and is progressively more cheaper as you pick up more portals) and offers cool features that the stand alone devices don't have.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I have the 3510 since the day it came out. It has been frustrating at times essentially being a beta tester for them. I have no clue how they released it, I'm sure they knew what the problems were. My complaints are in that digital home thread

If the Gateway isn't for you (which has it's own issues) I would still buy the 3510 as for me I knew I'd be kicking myself in 6 months if I bought the 3400. So either experience the 'bleeding edge' or wait 6 months to buy it.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I have the 3510 since the day it came out. It has been frustrating at times essentially being a beta tester for them. I have no clue how they released it, I'm sure they knew what the problems were. My complaints are in that digital home thread

If the Gateway isn't for you (which has it's own issues) I would still buy the 3510 as for me I knew I'd be kicking myself in 6 months if I bought the 3400. So either experience the 'bleeding edge' or wait 6 months to buy it.
Thinking of waiting a little longer. I was sort of planning on ordering CI, but not the end of the world if I don't. There is more than enough NFL coverage outside of NFLST, and the season is basically over anyways. I am a Pats fan and every Pats game is on CTV Atlantic, which I get. Wouldn't mind having FX, NGW and the few other mpeg4 channels, but I can wait maybe until these glitches are fixed. The HD size on the 6416 is small and has been an issue, but I can make do for now.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercoch View Post
I just bought the 3510 from Shaw, and do find that the guide loads slowly at times. There are times when you'll push the "page up" button on the remote and have to wait a few seconds for the guide to respond. It's not the end of the world, but I could see it bothering some people. It doesn't happen every time, but it's not uncommon so far.
This, it's just slow enough to be irritating but not slow enough that it's a deal breaker, mine is slow all the time though. On demand is much quicker so maybe that's a good trade off?

The PVR wouldn't record anything for the first few days and then magically started working, I hadn't had a chance to call Shaw yet, but pause and rewind worked.

The first few days it would also randomly freeze up, couldn't bring up the guide or change channels until you restarted it. Once again after a few days this resolved itself, maybe an update issue?

Not sure if there is a work around for this, since I haven't had time to call or look, but the Flames opener when the HD feed wasn't working, I got nothing. This new box automatically selects the best feed available, which if there is an HD version of that channel is that one. However, you don't get the SD and HD channels separately on the guide so you have no choice. So when Sportsnet's HD feed was out I had to go to the bedroom to watch where I could select the SD channel specifically. This feature is both good and bad, bad for the reason I stated, good because you no longer have a separate HD section in your guide, it just auto picks the HD channel if there is one.

Take this last point with a grain of salt as it came from the installer just before Christmas and I have my doubts about what this guy actually knows. But he told me that within 6 months Shaw would be pushing an update for the 3400 that would give you the new guide like the 3510. Whether it will give you all the same features as the 3510 or whether it will even happen I am unsure, in my experience installer's are 75% hot air.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
This, it's just slow enough to be irritating but not slow enough that it's a deal breaker, mine is slow all the time though. On demand is much quicker so maybe that's a good trade off?

The PVR wouldn't record anything for the first few days and then magically started working, I hadn't had a chance to call Shaw yet, but pause and rewind worked.

The first few days it would also randomly freeze up, couldn't bring up the guide or change channels until you restarted it. Once again after a few days this resolved itself, maybe an update issue?

Not sure if there is a work around for this, since I haven't had time to call or look, but the Flames opener when the HD feed wasn't working, I got nothing. This new box automatically selects the best feed available, which if there is an HD version of that channel is that one. However, you don't get the SD and HD channels separately on the guide so you have no choice. So when Sportsnet's HD feed was out I had to go to the bedroom to watch where I could select the SD channel specifically. This feature is both good and bad, bad for the reason I stated, good because you no longer have a separate HD section in your guide, it just auto picks the HD channel if there is one.

Take this last point with a grain of salt as it came from the installer just before Christmas and I have my doubts about what this guy actually knows. But he told me that within 6 months Shaw would be pushing an update for the 3400 that would give you the new guide like the 3510. Whether it will give you all the same features as the 3510 or whether it will even happen I am unsure, in my experience installer's are 75% hot air.
That is crazy.... you cant just key in channel 27 on your remote? Usually not an issue obviously, as you would always default to HD anyways.

I never watch SD unless there is something really good on, but good to know.

I also read that there is an issue with program transitioning- if you have paused a program and continue watching before live time, it will not gently fade right into the next scheduled program from the beginning once the previous scheduled program ends, but jump into live timing (unlike the current box I have). Any experience with this? This is obviously problematic with sports if the game goes longer than scheduled and you happen to be watching a little behind live.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
That is crazy.... you cant just key in channel 27 on your remote? Usually not an issue obviously, as you would always default to HD anyways.
Yes it is crazy, like I said there may be some easy work around I am missing but I didn't see one. You key in the channel number but it is the only channel listing. So my Sportsnet example; I only have Sportsnet West listed once in the guide, unlike my old PVR which has SD on channel 23 and HD on 227(?). On the 3510 I have only the channel 23 option, which automatically tunes to the HD feed. Which is normally nice because it cuts down on the size of the guide and guide surfing. But when Sportsnet goes bonkers and the HD feed doesn't work I'm left with a black screen and no alternative.

There is a video option section where you can select from 480p - 1080p - 1080p/i. Changes this did nothing to revert to the SD feed.

Quote:
I also read that there is an issue with program transitioning- if you have paused a program and continue watching before live time, it will not gently fade right into the next scheduled program from the beginning once the previous scheduled program ends, but jump into live timing (unlike the current box I have). Any experience with this? This is obviously problematic with sports if the game goes longer than scheduled and you happen to be watching a little behind live.
No experience with this, sorry.

Kind of similar, if you start watching a recording before it finishes, once it is finished recording it pops up the PVR list on you. There doesn't seem to be a back button on the new remote, so you have to hit exit which takes you back to live programming, then go back into PVR list and start watching your recording again. It's irritating.

Hopefully I'm missing a step and someone can offer a solution.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what is called HD override and basically for duplicate channels that exist in HD and SD, Shaw overrides the SD channel with the HD content. Now what happened during the last game was a HD transmission issue which is fairly rare and doesn't happen often. Probably get updates to fix it in a month or two now that they're aware of the issue.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quick bump, there must have been an update as last night I noticed was noticeably quicker. Everything was much improved, the guide loading was almost instant, scrolling through channels it didn't hesitate for a second anymore and setting recording's took half the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Had a chance last night with Walking Dead to see this first hand, I started watching my recording about 30 minutes after it started. So it kept recording past the end of the scheduled program because I was close enough to real time. It kept playing as you would expect and did not jump to live TV once the scheduled program was done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I picked up my DCX3510-M yesterday.

Interesting the way I came about getting it. I actually got a call from Telus offering to take my old PVR (DCT6416) and give me one of theirs, plus 2 months free, etc, etc. So I called Shaw and asked if they could do anything to counter. I was offer the DCX3510-M right away, for free, as long as I stay as a Shaw subscriber.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can increase the hard drive space, without having to buy one of Shaw's expanders? Shaw wants $75, but shouldn't I be able to just plug in one of my external hard drives and be able to use it? Increase the capacity?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you should be able to plug in one of your external drives. I think they need to be 7200RPM and under a certain size, maybe 1TB?

Tags
no center ice for you!