Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2022, 01:49 PM   #421
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Jay Leno….almost.


But he did burn his face while working on one of his cars. Gasoline fire.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #422
D as in David
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Jay Leno….almost.


But he did burn his face while working on one of his cars. Gasoline fire.
His chin probably took the brunt of it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #423
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Jay Leno….almost.


But he did burn his face while working on one of his cars. Gasoline fire.
A friend was horribly burned pouring race gas into a fuel cell. All it took was some static electricity to ignite it.

Hopefully Jay is ok. I've always respected him for wrenching on cars even when he can easily afford a whole team of mechanics.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #424
looooob
Franchise Player
 
looooob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Robert Clary, Hogan's Heroes star AND Auschwitz survivor


https://www.washingtonpost.com/obitu...es-actor-dead/


I believe he was the last surviving member of the main cast
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #425
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default



https://twitter.com/user/status/1594375014614274052
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #426
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Wow. I dont think I've ever read a report where they are so open that it was Suicide.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #427
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

TMZ is pretty crass.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #428
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
TMZ is pretty crass.
Evidently.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:03 PM   #429
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

Yeah, they're definitely not known for their sensitivity or subtlety.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #430
iggy_oi
Franchise Player
 
iggy_oi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

My memory of that show is spotty at best but wasn’t he the green ranger?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #431
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

Yeah, the green and white ranger. I loved that show when I was growing up.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:36 AM   #432
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Exp:
Default

Started off as hypntized evil green ranger, became good, became the white ranger by the time of the first 90s movie and the hype started to wane (or we just aged) but he was on and off again becoming a red ranger and black ranger, still making cameos as Tommy just a couple years ago.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #433
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
SportsJunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default Local restaurant legend Witold Twardowski dies at age 71

He really shaped Calgary's dining out experience. I knew him a little. We worked on a couple of projects together back in the day.
https://www.theobserver.ca/life/food...dies-at-age-71
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #434
D as in David
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
He really shaped Calgary's dining out experience. I knew him a little. We worked on a couple of projects together back in the day.
https://www.theobserver.ca/life/food...dies-at-age-71
I still have fond memories of Mescaleros. Probably one of my first favourite restaurants when we moved to Calgary.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #435
Monahammer
Franchise Player
 
Monahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Wow, really unfortunate that about the Jason Frank news. My cousin owns a comic shop in Detroit area and booked him for an appearance like a month ago... I remember thinking to myself that that's not a great place to be in as a former actor. Very sad.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:23 PM   #436
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Wow, really unfortunate that about the Jason Frank news. My cousin owns a comic shop in Detroit area and booked him for an appearance like a month ago... I remember thinking to myself that that's not a great place to be in as a former actor. Very sad.
Yeah....you're right.

Also, especially for the 'Power Ranger' actors. I vaguely recall something a few years ago where they did a sort of exposition of Saban Entertainment and apparently the production of that show and its variety of iterations and spin-offs was like a massive Corporate Fraud where the Actors just got raked over the coals.

So it was probably a lot of work for very, very little money.

And getting taken advantage of like that takes a pretty dramatic toll on your mental health too.

Like when Ghostbusters II opening up with them doing a kid's birthday party to make ends meet.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #437
Monahammer
Franchise Player
 
Monahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah....you're right.

Also, especially for the 'Power Ranger' actors. I vaguely recall something a few years ago where they did a sort of exposition of Saban Entertainment and apparently the production of that show and its variety of iterations and spin-offs was like a massive Corporate Fraud where the Actors just got raked over the coals.

So it was probably a lot of work for very, very little money.

And getting taken advantage of like that takes a pretty dramatic toll on your mental health too.

Like when Ghostbusters II opening up with them doing a kid's birthday party to make ends meet.
I forgot about that. People are just ####ing cruel sometimes eh?

I think there's a shortcoming society wide but it's highlighted with fame (or near fame in this case?) But essentially, we need a better way to transition older people still in the workforce to dignified positions that help to maintain their own self worth. IMO a huge amount of the depression we see in older males in particular (probably because they derived their worth from employment/providing while the females of the same generation had more diverse interests like family and such) comes from exactly this gap in personal/societal expectations vs the reality that not everyone (not even all high achievers) can sit in vaunted positions within our capitalist hierarchy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #438
Locke
Franchise Player
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I forgot about that. People are just ####ing cruel sometimes eh?

I think there's a shortcoming society wide but it's highlighted with fame (or near fame in this case?) But essentially, we need a better way to transition older people still in the workforce to dignified positions that help to maintain their own self worth. IMO a huge amount of the depression we see in older males in particular (probably because they derived their worth from employment/providing while the females of the same generation had more diverse interests like family and such) comes from exactly this gap in personal/societal expectations vs the reality that not everyone (not even all high achievers) can sit in vaunted positions within our capitalist hierarchy.
Yeah, apparently the higher ups, Saban especially was a giant scumbag.

So no you've got these actors, and lets face it they werent elite talent or anything, but most of them had to have some background in Martial Arts, which takes a lot of work and talent and effort and often comes with associated injuries.

And they're being forced to work brutal hours doing physically hard stunts over and over and over again for 'Scratch & Dent Bin' pay.
__________________
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 10:56 PM   #439
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player
 
afc wimbledon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: east van
Exp:
Default

Huge figure in the pre punk pub rock scene, had a role in Game Of Thrones as well, and by every account a great bloke as well Wilco Johnson, guitarist from Dr Feelgood, has passed

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #440
GordonBlue
Franchise Player
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

for some reason I originally didn't like the idea of this thread. I think I figured if a person deserved a death thread, they'd get one.

Hope it's not too late to say I was totally wrong and I love this thread.
It's gotten me interested in the art of people I either had forgotten about or had never heard of.

Kudos, OP.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021