Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #21
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't open the screenshots provided cause i'm at work but with the install errors, I'm assuming that its an Install shield error that's coming up. Is there a specific error code that's coming up? -6001 perhaps?

In any case, I would recommend trying this (I don't have much Vista experience but I'm assuming a lot of its going to be similar to XP). Go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\. Rename the InstallShield folder to something like OldInstallShield and try running the installer again. This process should recreate these files and hopefully address the issue.

I've seen problems where the InstallShield files get pooched or outdated and running certain InstallShield installers will then fail. No guarantees (especially considering I don't have the error code) but its worth a try. If for some reason these installers or Vista are behaving differently and the InstallShield folder does not get recreated, you can always rename it back.

Last edited by Phaneuf3; 05-28-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 AM   #22
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Based on the details in the event logger windows it seems as though the actual instance of InstallShield is crashing, which causes the error "Setup.exe has stopped working" to show up.

Info from the logger:

Faulting Application: SETUP.EXE_Installshield
Source: Application Error
Event Name: APPCRASH

Can we get a screenshot of the dialog box when the error occurs? Or does it just say "Setup.exe has stopped working"?

Edit: Give what Phaneuf3 mentioned a try. It makes the most sense to me to give it a whirl given the information that is present.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #23
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
Based on the details in the event logger windows it seems as though the actual instance of InstallShield is crashing, which causes the error "Setup.exe has stopped working" to show up.

Info from the logger:

Faulting Application: SETUP.EXE_Installshield
Source: Application Error
Event Name: APPCRASH

Can we get a screenshot of the dialog box when the error occurs? Or does it just say "Setup.exe has stopped working"?
This.

If install shield is failing the way I THINK it is. When it terminates there should be a window that pops up and at the very bottom there will likely be an error code reported. It may also be in the screenshots but as I said, I can't check them at work.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #24
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
Can't open the screenshots provided cause i'm at work but with the install errors, I'm assuming that its an Install shield error that's coming up. Is there a specific error code that's coming up? -6001 perhaps?

In any case, I would recommend trying this (I don't have much Vista experience but I'm assuming a lot of its going to be similar to XP). Go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\. Rename the InstallShield folder to something like OldInstallShield and try running the installer again. This process should recreate these files and hopefully address the issue.

I've seen problems where the InstallShield files get pooched or outdated and running certain InstallShield installers will then fail. No guarantees (especially considering I don't have the error code) but its worth a try. If for some reason these installers or Vista are behaving differently and the InstallShield folder does not get recreated, you can always rename it back.
as an added note:
after renaming the installshield folder but before running the installer again it would also be a good idea to clear out your temp directory. if its what i think it is, this shouldn't be necessary but doing this will also cover your bases for a couple other error conditions that can come up with installshield.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #25
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you using for AV?
Perhaps try turning that off?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTom View Post
I'll post one when I get home. Essentially what happens is a dialog box pops up and says "Setup.exe has stopped working". Then it says Windows is trying to find a solution and a progress bar fills up at the bottom of the box. When it fills up the dialog box closes and that's the end of it. There's no error codes or anything from what I can remember. I would've posted them if I saw any I'm sure.

I'll give what Phaneuf3 suggested a try when I'm off work.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #27
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try this solution I found...

It seems like the Data execution prevention "feature" (I call it a bug)
caused this problem. Deactivated it and now it installs OK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

Thats a new one for me, time to do some research on it.

Looks as if you can disable it using these instructions

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable...prevention.htm

Please report if that fixed the issue, very interesting to know.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Seems like the best way to deal with most problems in Vista is just to go running around disabling all of the security features that they put on it. What a hassle. I hope that you get it sorted out with this latest round of things to try.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #29
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

Another interesting idea. I wouldn't think that DEP would be blocking the installer but crazier things have been known to happen.

I've only seen DEP interfere with program operation not installation. But who knows, computers are strange sometimes and my Vista experience is very limited. Isn't DEP set to disabled on Vista by default? I know it is for XP when you install the service pack that introduced it.

edit: Perhaps not 'Disabled' but monitoring only essential windows services which shouldn't let it effect these games.
edit2: by all means try the suggestion - its definitely a good one. just trying to reason out loud about what might be causing it.

Last edited by Phaneuf3; 05-28-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #30
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
Nope, unfortunately

Quote:

And nope again, unfortunately.

Do you guys think it might be worth to just try and install Vista from scratch again? I have basically nothing installed on it right now.

Here's a better look at the event viewer: http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?im...entlog3iy0.jpg

Last edited by JayP; 05-28-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I have the solution: abandon Vista, go back to 32-bit XP. You'll only be able to access 3 gigs of RAM, but it's not like you really need all four anyways.

My computer:

Q6600
Striker II Formula
4 Gb OCZ Reaper PC-8500
nVidia 9800 GTX

... and I'm running 32-bit XP precisely because I didn't want to run into the type of problems you're having.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #32
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, rebuild.

Did you try installing Adobe to see if you get the same issue?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #33
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yah, rebuild.

Did you try installing Adobe to see if you get the same issue?
I tried installing Adobe and it worked fine.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont like shooting in the dark like this but since rebuilding is an option you might want to try these things just for funzies:

Run the Windows Installer cleanup util
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

If that doesnt work try...

Delete folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64\InstallShield and everything in it.

Then go START > RUN > CMD > sfc /scannow - that will restore the folder and might fix it.

You are right, there is a hella lot of stuff on this type of issue with no clear fix.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #35
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Login as administrator and try it again.. even if your account is "Administrator level"

Don't install from the CD auto execute... Explore the CD and run the setup.exe from there.
________
Ship sale

Last edited by metal_geek; 05-06-2011 at 12:01 AM.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont like shooting in the dark like this but since rebuilding is an option you might want to try these things just for funzies
By rebuilding do you mean re-installing Vista or actually taking apart the components I just put together?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #37
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
By rebuilding do you mean re-installing Vista or actually taking apart the components I just put together?
No, just format and reinstall, if the setup issue has anything at all to do with hardware I might just quit my job and move to Costa Rica and work for an Internet Gambling site down there.

I would also download the Service Pack onto a flash drive first, that way it will save you some Windows Update time. Also make sure you have proper motherboard drivers for the onboard NIC. Other drivers can be fixed later if your NIC works.

One question, do you a full version Vista disk or an upgrade version? No worries if you have a full version.

Last edited by mykalberta; 05-29-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #38
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, just format and reinstall, if the setup issue has anything at all to do with hardware I might just quit my job and move to Costa Rica and work for an Internet Gambling site down there.

I would also download the Service Pack onto a flash drive first, that way it will save you some Windows Update time. Also make sure you have proper motherboard drivers for the onboard NIC. Other drivers can be fixed later if your NIC works.

One question, do you a full version Vista disk or an upgrade version? No worries if you have a full version.
Okay, good. I thought I was an idiot for asking that because I really didn't see how it would be a hardware issue.

I have a full version OEM of Vista. I have to take one of the hard drives from my old computer and toss it in the new one so I'll reinstall Vista then. I'm not completely opposed to going back to XP, but I did just buy Vista so I mind as well give it a second try.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #39
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, it just sounds like either an Installshield file is somehow corrupted, since you can install other software, or a DRM issue since it is games that are giving you an issue.

Seems like a shame to re-format if everything else is working well, but sometimes it is better to do it now than later when you may have a lot of stuff to back up.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #40
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_geek View Post
Login as administrator and try it again.. even if your account is "Administrator level"

Don't install from the CD auto execute... Explore the CD and run the setup.exe from there.
Tried both of these...and it worked! Oblivion did, at least. I'll try running a couple of other games now.

However, Oblivion still does crash just like the other games did. I tried to get an event log of it, but nothing related seems to be on there.