Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #3241
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Nolan Batman films were for the most part good, Shazam was good. But the latest spree except for the first wonder Woman have been really terrible.
I thought Wonder Woman sucked. I do not get the appeal. The last 20 mins of WW was pretty terribly executed.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:10 PM   #3242
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Wow the MCU really have some of y'all convinced there is only one way to make a superhero film huh.
Not at all, the Nolan Batman trilogy was excellent, it's just too bad Heath Ledger wasn't alive to continue his role in the dark Knight rises. As others have said Shazam was a good movie as well.

I just finished watching the 4 hour film, it's better than the original but that's damn easy to do. That movie could have been 2.5 hours just by making every scene was in slow motion regular speed. So many unneeded slow Mo parts it was weird. Mix in the terrible script as others have noted and it just doesn't make for a great movie.

In my opinion pretty much anything Zack Snyder has touched in the DCEU has been bad to terrible.

The MCU has done forgettable movies as well but they have far more hits than misses.

Last edited by Since1984; 03-18-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #3243
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Not at all, the Nolan Batman trilogy was excellent, it's just too bad Heath Ledger wasn't alive to continue his role in the dark Knight rises. As others have said Shazam was a good movie as well.

I just finished watching the 4 hour film, it's better than the original but that's damn easy to do. That movie could have been 2.5 hours just by making every scene was in slow motion regular speed. So many unneeded slow Mo parts it was weird. Mix in the terrible script as others have noted and it just doesn't make for a great movie.

In my opinion pretty much anything Zack Snyder has touched in the DCEU has been bad to terrible.

The MCU has done forgettable movies as well but they have far more hits than misses.
But this was his vision tho!! And he got 4 years to polish and perfect it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #3244
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The longest movie I’ve ever watched while being fully engaged the entire time is The Godfather 2 at 3 hours 20 minutes. Can’t see a Justice League remake coming close to one of the greatest films of all time while being 15% longer. I’ll definitely give it a watch but am expecting to at least split up into 4 viewings.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #3245
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Snyder Cut is an upgrade on the original. I had to take a break as it was still unnecessarily long, but it is definitely better than I expected it to be. I am not a Zack Snyder fan at all, so his usual antics like egregious use of slow motion still bothered me... but like I said, it did manage to exceed my admittedly low expectations.

Spoiler!

Last edited by CofR; 03-18-2021 at 11:37 PM.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:57 AM   #3246
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I must say, I'm now looking forward to Josh Trank's five-hour release of his original vision for Fant4stic.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #3247
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way better than the OG. Needed to take about 45 minutes off of it. And some better editing. Some seriously bad chopping going on in parts of the movie.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #3248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hrmmm, maybe I should wait for Justice League: The Snyder Cut: The Editors Cut.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #3249
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Watched this last night. Originally planned to watch in 1 hour blocks, but ended getting through the entire thing in one sitting fairly easily. A lot of the reviewers are right on the mark. This is much improved, and the character development is the main difference, particularly the Cyborg stuff. I feel really bad for Ray Fisher. He gave a knockout performance that was totally cut of the original, and he had to deal with Wheedon's abuse along the way. If you have an understanding of the comics, Cyborg has always been one of the key minds that holds the Justice League together. Batman is a strategist but also a lone wolf. Pulling out Cyborg the way Wheedon did really takes away from the spirit of the group.

The movie does have some unnecessary bits at 4 hours. This was also not Snyder's original vision for a theatrical cut either, which would have run at about 3 hours. Presumably he would have cut out about an hour from this to make a more condensed film. Would that have been better, probably, but who knows?

Overall, this was just entertaining. There are some Snyder-like action sequences in there, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, I found the pacing was good enough that they didn't drag. Also, the action wasn't really the focus of this movie. The main focus was character development, and that was all done quite well.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #3250
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That was quite enjoyable.

Spoiler!
Old 03-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #3251
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hrmmm, maybe I should wait for Justice League: The Snyder Cut: The Editors Cut.
Playback speed set from 0.25 to 0.1
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #3252
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
That was quite enjoyable.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #3253
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really did not like this new Justice League film, the first half is excruciatingly dull, the numerous song montages are lame, that stupid chant/hymn every time Wonder Woman appears is annoying, and this has the cringiest Joker scene ever.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #3254
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many cringe moments that serve to highlight all of the overdone filming techniques these days.

The evil guy has a really low voice. Typical.
But the effect is hilariously bad when one evil-low-voice guy (Steppenwolf) talks to another evil-low-voice-guy (Darkside).

Prison
You just know someone is going to put a hand on the glass and the other person will reluctantly do the same.

What is up with Auqua man constantly taking off his shirt (that is already soaking wet!) before jumping into the ocean? That little village must be covered in random shirts that have been dramatically cast aside each time Aquaman returns to the sea.

Heels
Does Wonder Woman have a special power that she feels comfortable in high heels while exploring some ancient ruins in Greece? I'm pretty certain Gal Gadot can pull off hicking boots.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #3255
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man. Again I find I must be easily entertained or maybe I am the target demographic for this stuff but I loved it. Way better world building that the theater Joss Whedon's version. I like the introduction of a big bad. Could have been a good way to improve on the DCEU but it sounds like this iteration is done with.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #3256
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched WW84, and it is the suckiest piece of suck that ever sucked.

Holy crap was that bad. Literally one of the worst movies ever made.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #3257
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I watched Birds of Prey. I don’t know if I was still shell shocked by how embarrassingly bad JL was, but I actually found it pretty entertaining!

Better than JL... is that a good review? I don’t know, it was a movie, Ewan McGregor was pretty good in it. Last 30 minutes was kinda boring. I always find it hard to like the “main character narrates the movie, including funny things like ‘wait, let’s go back so you get the full story *fake rewind to different scene, scene plays out, back to present* so as I was saying!’” thing, but it didn’t bother me much.

One of the better DC movies for sure.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:43 AM   #3258
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Birds of Prey was one of the last movies I saw in a theatre before COVID hit. I thought it was an agonizing experience.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #3259
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was okay.

I don’t know how to process it. As I was watching i would slip into a comparison between the two versions rather than actually enjoying it as a movie. It was simply to soon to release what is effectively a retcon with the same actors.

If this was released as an 8 episode show once a week on Disney plus without the Wheedon version existing it would have been great for a streaming TV show. The problem is that this wastes some of the most iconic DC plot lines. They screwed Supermans death and rebirth in mediocre movies.

If this was the version was released in theatres I think it bombs worse than Wheedons due to length and seeming inaccessible. But that’s not really fair either as this wasn’t made to be put in theatres and wouldn’t have been the same show. Also the entire aqua man intro now was a waste because we already know him from the first Justice league so it’s a wierd intro for the character.

In the end this movie sits as a monument for how badly DC failed. The act of releasing a remake of a 3 year old movie that is building toward a sequel that will never exist paints a nice picture of their failure.

I did enjoy the 4 hrs watching it and to enjoy Snyder’s fight scenes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #3260
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watched the Snyder cut with my 12 year old son last night. We both loved it. Infinitely better that Whedon's movie. It amazed me how much footage was shot that didn't get used.

I went into this excited but only expecting it to be marginally better. I was happy to be wrong. It's much better.

It's not without flaws. We probably wouldn't have had this runtime if it was Snyder's theatrical release but he had the footage and wanted to use it all because he didn't have time constraints.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote