Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #3001
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Dark Knight Rises was doomed to failure in the cradle. How do you follow the Dark Knight and then the death of a oscar worthy actor?

But I was sorely dissapointed, Tom Hardy was a perfect cast for the role of Bane, but crippled by a flawed premise and a muffling costume. I'm amazed they didn't over dub it.
I think that the problem was that Nolan wasn't making a superhero movie with the first two (the characters just happened to be superheros), and in the third one, he was. You can rename the characters and put them in regular suits for the first two movies, and they would still work.

There are actually very few good superhero movies, where the fact that they are heroes is integral to the plot. Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War were excellent genre movies. Many of the other Marvel were entertaining, but mediocre. There's nothing wrong with that. A movie like Logan did both, and transcended the genre. Very rare.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #3002
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Dark Knight Rises was doomed to failure in the cradle. How do you follow the Dark Knight and then the death of a oscar worthy actor?

But I was sorely dissapointed, Tom Hardy was a perfect cast for the role of Bane, but crippled by a flawed premise and a muffling costume. I'm amazed they didn't over dub it.
The tweeks to TDKR wouldn't have had to be too substantial. The problem was they went off the deep end with modeling the movie after a Frank Miller movie, with themed gangs taking over parts of the city. It's just too absurd.

If they'd kept the plot to take over the city more grounded in reality (maybe a corporate plot for profit) - instead of running some kind of themed gang takeover - it could have been a much better movie.

They also had the opportunity to tie everything together in a well thought out trilogy, with Bane being an alternate evil version of Batman coming from his past. It's really quite odd that they went so over the top with the main premise. They actively tried to make other plot points more realistic, like Robin for example.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #3003
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The tweeks to TDKR wouldn't have had to be too substantial. The problem was they went off the deep end with modeling the movie after a Frank Miller movie, with themed gangs taking over parts of the city. It's just too absurd.

If they'd kept the plot to take over the city more grounded in reality (maybe a corporate plot for profit) - instead of running some kind of themed gang takeover - it could have been a much better movie.

They also had the opportunity to tie everything together in a well thought out trilogy, with Bane being an alternate evil version of Batman coming from his past. It's really quite odd that they went so over the top with the main premise. They actively tried to make other plot points more realistic, like Robin for example.
I think the biggest problem with TKDR was that it was never supposed to exist.

I think Nolan has been pretty clear that it wasnt supposed to be a trilogy but was pressured for one reason or another and they had to come up with some way to apply the capstone to the series.

Once again, failing to plan is planning to fail. All things considered TKDR wasnt terrible. I still enjoy it, but its easily the weakest film of that trilogy but still far, far better than most of the rest of DC's offerings.

It was, at least, a competently made film. For the most part. But following up The Dark Knight, especially after Ledger's death, was going to be a tall order no matter which way you put it.

And thats one bet the Studio won.

"After The Dark Knight this film could be 120 minutes of cats playing with yarn and we'll still make a fortune."

And indeed they did.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #3004
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think the biggest problem with TKDR was that it was never supposed to exist.

I think Nolan has been pretty clear that it wasnt supposed to be a trilogy but was pressured for one reason or another and they had to come up with some way to apply the capstone to the series.

Once again, failing to plan is planning to fail. All things considered TKDR wasnt terrible. I still enjoy it, but its easily the weakest film of that trilogy but still far, far better than most of the rest of DC's offerings.

It was, at least, a competently made film. For the most part. But following up The Dark Knight, especially after Ledger's death, was going to be a tall order no matter which way you put it.

And thats one bet the Studio won.

"After The Dark Knight this film could be 120 minutes of cats playing with yarn and we'll still make a fortune."

And indeed they did.
Just to clarify, it was initially supposed to be a trilogy, with a third movie based around the Joker. After Ledger died, that became impossible, and they wrapped up the Dark Knight into a more complete story.

They did incorporate some of the elements of the original intended third movie into TDKR. But yes, after Ledger died, Nolan no longer intended to make a third film and was substantially pressured into doing so.

So when people talk about DC putting out a weak third act, a lot of that was out of their control, with the actor playing a main character dying.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #3005
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested. This is probably one of the best low budget movies I've seen. Abraxas level. Things that I liked : zero time spent on explaining who everyone was, and gave the audience some credit for figuring it out. Good action, and a couple of high end set pieces. The characters certainly looked the parts. Meh : Zero time spent on character development, which was right up the alley for the acting level. The most straight forward script that was ever straight forward.

Not bad at all for free, and gives some insight into the Valiant Universe, although it is the most action oriented and thought free part of that universe.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #3006
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Just to clarify, it was initially supposed to be a trilogy, with a third movie based around the Joker. After Ledger died, that became impossible, and they wrapped up the Dark Knight into a more complete story.

They did incorporate some of the elements of the original intended third movie into TDKR. But yes, after Ledger died, Nolan no longer intended to make a third film and was substantially pressured into doing so.

So when people talk about DC putting out a weak third act, a lot of that was out of their control, with the actor playing a main character dying.
If nothing else I will admit that TDKR is a film that ages well.

It wasnt what we wanted when it came out, but upon review its like it improves over time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #3007
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you were to edit it so that not every single police office in the city went underground and got trapped, it would instantly improve leaps and bounds.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #3008
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
If you were to edit it so that not every single police office in the city went underground and got trapped, it would instantly improve leaps and bounds.
Theres some ludicrous elements, certainly.

But as blankall alludes to, the storyline of TDKR as it was rolled out was certainly 'Plan B.'

What I like about it was that Nolan took some excellent source material and molded it into his more realistic world.

It was always going to be a let-down after The Dark Knight.

What I can appreciate about it was that they told a competent story, more or less, and made it work in the world they built as best as possible.

Its hardly perfect, but its also not a complete mess. I can put that movie on at any time and enjoy it....which is more than I can say about most DC films.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #3009
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't hate the third one at all, I for the most part still like it, though I can't watch it right after watching Ledger's performance for some reason.

I did cringe at what's her names death scene, that was so laughably bad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #3010
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
If nothing else I will admit that TDKR is a film that ages well.

It wasnt what we wanted when it came out, but upon review its like it improves over time.
You have it backwards. It got rave reviews when it came out and had a crazy high RT score.

But after any more than 1 casual viewing and the monumental stupidity of the script, plot, character motivations and decisions becomes so apparent that the film becomes nothing more than a put your brain in a comatose state action movie like Transformers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #3011
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You have it backwards. It got rave reviews when it came out and had a crazy high RT score.

But after any more than 1 casual viewing and the monumental stupidity of the script, plot, character motivations and decisions becomes so apparent that the film becomes nothing more than a put your brain in a comatose state action movie like Transformers.
Yes. But they also destroyed a Greyhound Bus which earns a lot of points in my books.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #3012
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing people talk positive about TDKR warms my cold heart. I think in time when it's not judged against TDK people will realize it's a solid flick.

Interesting note is that when Reeves Batman films is released in 2022 it will be 10 years from the last solo Batman film TDKR, which is the longest stretch since Batman 89 was released.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #3013
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol. Compared to how people normally trash DC movies, I can see why you think I’m being positive.

“Omg he said TDKR is as good as transformers! It is the critical darling DC fans have been waiting for.”
Old 01-11-2021, 04:03 PM   #3014
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1348762334148358154
Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #3015
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh huh. I see.

Quote:
Wonder Woman 1984 has officially launched its Oscars For Your Consideration campaign, including a surprising push from Warner Bros. for Best Picture.

While Wonder Woman 1984 may be far from the standard Oscar-bait movie, it seems the studio is still hoping a big promotional push can lead to some major nominations.

Though initial reactions to the film were glowing, once a wider audience was able to see it, the critical response took a major dive.

that maybe, just maybe, there's a way for Wonder Woman 1984 to walk home with an Oscar this year.
https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...ture-campaign/

Ummm.....did they actually watch this film?

'Unmitigated Disaster' is something of an understatement and 'Complete Nightmare' may not be all that much exaggerated.

If not for the grace of Aquaman this might be the single worst DC film of them all.

Its a complete mess. Its like it was written and directed by a Space Alien.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #3016
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Maybe they think they'll win by de-fault. The two sweetest words in the english language. There's been so few releases this year, they might have a shot!
Old 01-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #3017
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully it can join Suicide Squad, Batman 89, Dark Knight, Joker, and Superman The Movie as DC films to win an Oscar.

BOP should get a nomination for best costume design IMO.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #3018
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can the same film win an Oscar and a Razzie?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #3019
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can the same film win an Oscar and a Razzie?
Ask Halle Berry
Old 01-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #3020
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Ask Halle Berry
What? That doesnt even make sense.