Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #2841
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It's the best done really dumb movie I've ever seen lol.

Out of all the WW lore out there this is the best story they can do? That's the dumbest villain idea I've ever seen.

Or did they have to include Chris Pine by contract or something and then had to design the plot around him coming back somehow?

The writing was terrible, the action terrible. The best part of the movie was the bit with young Diana at the beginning and that was even dumb because the kid was too young.

I'd say it's the same level as Aquaman for me.

EDIT: I saw a video where they think she was going for Superman I style of movie, I guess I could see that if that was the goal, but not a very good goal IMO.
That would be the height of madness.

"Hey! We've already done Batman vs. Superman, Aquaman tires to take over the world, The Justice League....we should dial it back to the good ol' days of superheroes!!"

Unless their Executive Producer was kicked in the head by a drunken Mule I cannot see the reasoning here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:11 PM   #2842
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know I can see how some people didn't enjoy it and that's totally cool. For me it worked and I thought it was fun and well done, and I thought the message was timely. I did feel at times the film was a little hectic and the opening scene gave me major Superman III vibes. However, I could totally see this being a Wonder Woman comic arc, as it hits on the same beats of several runs in the past. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one I still had a good time.

Also love how this fits in with Snyderverse of DC films and using some of the score from BvS was a nice touch.

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 12-26-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:04 AM   #2843
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 03:08 AM   #2844
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, WW84 wasn't great. So campy. And such a romantic love letter to flight. The story itself was weak, but the messaging was good? I think?

Top marks to Gal Godot and Kristen Wiig. Wasn't a fan of the bad guy. And the Cheetah cgi IMO was horribad.

All in all, I think its one of those movies that wanted to do everything amazing all at once and it plopped its face in the mud.

But I did enjoy the fact that two solid actors managed to work through it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #2845
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
While I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one I still had a good time.
I’d be interested to hear how you rank it against the other DCEU movies?

For me it would be:

1. Shazam
2. Man of Steel
3. BvS
4. Justice League
5. Suicide Squad
6. Birds of Prey
7. Aquaman
8. WW84

Even writing that was a struggle. Placing most of those in a top 10 of anything was a mental hurdle I didn’t think I’d have to go through over the holidays.

Here’s a few things WW84 could have done to make it marginally more watchable:

Spoiler!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #2846
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is with DC and terrible CGI?

Do they rely on it too much? Do they just have a terrible CGI department?

It cant be budget...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #2847
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

It cant be budget...
Man of Steel probably has the best CGI of any of their films and it’s the oldest in the DCEU. It helps that it was much darker and you could hide the flaws better.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #2848
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For DCEU my rankings are:

WW
BvS
Aquaman
Shazam!
MOS
WW84
BOP
JL
SS

I do enjoy all 9 of them, but to varying degrees. The first 5 in my list are some of my favorite superhero films of all time so WW84 being 6th place is no shade.

For all DC films I have it 14th just after Superman: The Movie and just ahead of BOP.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #2849
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have yet to see WW84. I too, am waffling at the price tag.

It seems like the plan to retro the Tim Burton movies into the DCEU might be the smartest thing that they can do. Those would immediately be the best movies on any list. It would be hard to retro in the Reeve Superman, so that's unfortunate, although they can make an attempt at a crisis event and use Routh, as long as they don't spend that capital on a lower stakes format... oh wait, what's that?... cheesy television Crisis?.... never mind.

Also, I just watched Batman Returns last night and it is great. It's barely a superhero movie at all and is more a gothic story of loneliness, greed and redemption, with an undertow of confronting mental illness. It looks so good.

"fits in with Snyderverse" is a solid part of any scary sentence.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #2850
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

It cant be budget...
Aquaman was praised for it's visuals. So were Man of Steel and shazam.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #2851
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like WB is happy with the performance of the film as they just announced they are fast tracking the 3rd one with Patty Jenkins set to return as director and writer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...234875194/amp/
Old 12-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #2852
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seems like WB is happy with the performance of the film as they just announced they are fast tracking the 3rd one with Patty Jenkins set to return as director and writer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...234875194/amp/
Yeah....but its a well-established fact that those guys are idiots.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #2853
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Aquaman was praised for it's visuals. So were Man of Steel and shazam.
Okay, well I saw them too. I don’t just take my opinions from reviews.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #2854
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah....but its a well-established fact that those guys are idiots.
I actually kinda agree with you on that. The heads at WB don't know what they are doing and the films only succeed because of the passion of those involved. Heck even Joker they thought it was going to bomb so they only financed half of it so they only kept half the profits.....idiots.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #2855
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Okay, well I saw them too. I don’t just take my opinions from reviews.
It's not just reviews. Aquaman was widely praised for it's visuals by vfx experts. The two universally praised high points where Mamoa's performance and the visuals.

It was actually quite an accomplishment to create a believable underwater world.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #2856
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just reviews. Aquaman was widely praised for it's visuals by vfx experts. The two universally praised high points where Mamoa's performance and the visuals.

It was actually quite an accomplishment to create a believable underwater world.
The CGI was way overused and honestly it probably had to be given the world they needed to create. It ended up making the scenes feel unrealistic. Maybe it was good use of the technology but it didn't contribute to a good movie, imo.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #2857
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know about reviews but the visual effects were far and away the worst part of Aquaman, and it was an absolutely horrible movie. I look forwards to the Namor the Submariner eventually coming out, so that we can see real underwater VFX, from a quality production company.

Luckily I decided about 5 movies ago, that I don't pay extra for DCEU content, I'll catch this in a year on Netflix.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #2858
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Story, acting are all subjective I get you may not like Aquaman, but I can't imagine watching Aquaman and you come away thinking it had terrible CGI.

Also if Namor ever does come out it will be 100% because of the success of Aquaman just like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #2859
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also if Namor ever does come out it will be 100% because of the success of Aquaman just like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.
Weird take. Captain Marvel was announced years before Wonder Woman came out. They were already busy pumping it up in 2016 comic con when Larson was announced as Danvers. Wonder Woman wouldn't premiere for another year.

Namor connected to Aquaman makes a lot more sense on the surface (teehee) but keep in mind Namor was one of the first Avengers teased in the map in Iron Man 2 and the real reason we likely haven't seen him yet is because he was one of the characters who's rights were 'complicated' with Universal holding them and speculated that Universal still does have the distribution rights.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #2860
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot about that I guess the timeline doesn't quite match. Just seems weird that Cap Marvel was the 21st MCU movie and came out 2 years after WW.