Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #4641
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...how-to-respond

everything about the edmonton oilers is hilarious.
Quote:
The Oilers are too rough, too violent, too physical!
Does he honestly think anyone has ever said that?
Perhaps his answer should have been "No one complains that unicorns are more powerful than leprechauns".

Quote:
P.S. If it’s a mainstream writer or blogger attacking the Oilers, just tell them to go back and keep cheering for their home team. Many of them hate to admit that they’re homers, but the kind who make such attacks are just that, total homers. Rub their noses in their bias.
So is Staples admitting that he is a horrendous homer, or is he admitting that he isn't mainstream writer or blogger? I mean, we know it's both, but has he figured it out too?

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 03-29-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #4642
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
I lurk here all the time... mostly for the off topic forum and arena/olympics updates as a Calgary taxpayer... but when you see the Oilers are no good thread at the top of the page for the whole season its hard not to read and laugh at the bias...
Um you're on a primary flames board in a thread called Oilers are no good and you're bringing up bias? Really?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #4643
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Um you're on a primary flames board in a thread called Oilers are no good and you're bringing up bias? Really?

I'm not saying its unexpected... Its good comedy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #4644
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I lurk here all the time... mostly for the off topic forum and arena/olympics updates as a Calgary taxpayer... but when you see the Oilers are no good thread at the top of the page for the whole season its hard not to read and laugh at the bias...
By Flames fans, on a Flames website. While you lurk for 11 years to only respond the day after the Oilers end their run as the worst run franchise in pro sports.

Very interesting.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #4645
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying its unexpected... Its good comedy.
The aoilers have provided plenty of lolz over the past 11 years
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #4646
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The aoilers have provided plenty of lolz over the past 11 years
It's a win-win relationship.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #4647
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
According to Man Games lost the Flames have been the second least injured team this year behind the Capitals, Other than 10 games missed by Johnny and 12 from Verseeg what adversity has Calgary faced?

In comparison Edmonton has the 4th most man games lost. None this year were to significant players (Nurse/Pouliot/Hendricks the only regular starters) so I wouldn't say they were all that significant either.

Don't the Flames get 3 2nd half back to backs this week against the division? That argument is getting played out.

Last year the following players spent time on LTIR: McDavid, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot, Klefbom, so maybe last years adversity made the Oilers record last year worse than it should have been and the players this year are performing at the same level just more often.

As for Talbot carrying the team and being over played, I can't seem to recall Flames fans stating that Kiper was overplayed between 2005-2011 when he played a minimum of 71 games a year or apologizing to other teams when he stole games.
Are you ####ing kidding me?
How about starting the season 5-10-whatever and then clawing their way back into a playoff position and about to clinch with another 5 games left.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #4648
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Was I talking about the Flames here? No I don't think I was.

The Oilers have had no significant injuries this year. But you have to admit that 10 games without Johnny is significant as far as injuries go.
not really...Johnny had a horrendous start and was on pace for the green jacket in October and November (he's having a sub-par season in general by his standards)
he was brutal

Quote:
You want adversity, look at what the Flames have overcome, a horrendous start, their two stars missing training camp, a new coach and system and unbelievably negative press due to that start. a 10 game injury to the best player on the team, horrendous goaltending during the first half of the season, and yet here they are. I would think in terms of a scale of things Calgary's struggles far outweigh the Oilers.

The Oilers have had almost a quarter of their schedule at home facing teams on the second night of a two night swing. Someone published a chart that showed how out of wack the Oilers schedule was in terms of playing as the rested team. They got a dream schedule.
Flames face more back-ups than the Oilers this year

and...
Quote:
Woodguy‏
@Woodguy55

CGY has beat 3 playoff team in regulation since Dec 5.
Two of them (SJS and MTL) started their backup.
Pretty confident bunch considering.
Quote:
When McDavid got injured last year the team plummeted and completely fell apart. The other injuries didn't have any more of a negative drag on a horrendous team.
Oilers won 6 games in a row last December and were actually in a playoff spot for a day last year...
Old 03-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #4649
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple comments on random posts:

1. I always hate to even slightly disagree with textcritic, but there have been a few examples of Cup winners and contenders needing at least a few solid games from backups, whether caused by injury or not. Pittsburgh and Chicago, for example. Calgary winning a series was down to switching goalies at just the right time for that matter.

2. Calgary hasn't had too many significant injuries but besides the Gaudreau one, which was significant IMO and Vertsteeg, you also had Monahan starting at less than 100%. IMO Brouwer's broken finger not only kept him out, but his play after coming back seemed less than what it was before.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #4650
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Wow, did not take long for Oilers to seize back the "most obnoxious fan base" title from the Canucks, in just a couple short years.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that I can go back to hating Oiler fans, rather then just pity them.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #4651
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look the one thing that I think is a real positive is that the Federal Government is going to have weed legalized just in time for the Oilers to miss the playoffs next year.

I just feel so good for the Oilers fanbase that they'll be able to smoke up some escape from the horrible reality thing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #4652
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Funny - I posted this on FB yesterday:

"Life events since the Oilers last playoff game on June 19, 2006:

- Bought a condo, met (my wife), moved in with (my wife), proposed to (my wife), married (my wife), and started a family with (my wife).

- Travelled to Mexico (x2), Missoula, Seattle, the Maritimes (x3), Vancouver, Kelowna, Hong Kong, Thailand (leaving behind 3 teeth and who knows how much blood), the Yukon (x2), San Francisco, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

- Drove the Pacific Coast highway through California and Oregon. Hiked the Chilkoot Trail. Took a houseboat vacation and spent multiple weeks at Fairmont Hotsprings.

- Blew out my knee, had knee surgery, and was diagnosed with arthritis.

- Went through 5 vehicles (Mazda Protege' 5, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Toyota Corolla, and 2 Toyota Rav 4's).

I'm finished. It's time to clinch - let's get it done tonight."
Thanks, but I was more looking for the one about there never being a tweet from an iPhone about an Oilers playoff game being broadcast in HD.

Although I find it interesting that you have owned 2 Rav4's in that span, I wouldn't exactly consider it a "major" thing (not for me at least)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #4653
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
By Flames fans, on a Flames website. While you lurk for 11 years to only respond the day after the Oilers end their run as the worst run franchise in pro sports.

Very interesting.
What's interesting about that? To be honest it's been more fun for me to just watch the dynamic on the outside looking in.

And I realized every comment I make here is going to be dismissed anyways by the cognitive bias that obviously is going to exist on an opposing teams message board. As demonstrated just now. So for the whole season I didn't really feel the need to comment and waste mine and everyone's time attacking me as an Oilers fan.

To respond to why I waited until now to post on the thread... I don't know the excitement after 10 years of misery got the best of me.

Really hoping for a Battle of Alberta I was in Grade 1 the last one when Esa Tikanen won it in OT so its long overdue.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #4654
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick O'Sullivan@realPOSULLIVAN
Congrats to the Oilers for getting back to the playoffs. Would have happened sooner if they caught a bounce at the lottery. #alwaysanoiler
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #4655
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People sure are excited for the Oilers playing 86 games this year.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #4656
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...how-to-respond

everything about the edmonton oilers is hilarious.
this saddest part of this is the fact that it was published in the first place

Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #4657
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Thanks, but I was more looking for the one about there never being a tweet from an iPhone about an Oilers playoff game being broadcast in HD.

Although I find it interesting that you have owned 2 Rav4's in that span, I wouldn't exactly consider it a "major" thing (not for me at least)
Yeah I know what you were looking for. Just thought it was interesting as I'd gone through my own personal exercise yesterday.

And apologies that my 'major' doesn't meet your threshold. I'll be better next time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #4658
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan@realPOSULLIVAN
Congrats to the Oilers for getting back to the playoffs. Would have happened sooner if they caught a bounce at the lottery. #alwaysanoiler
You must be the last person left for him to block on Twitter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #4659
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
You must be the last person left for him to block on Twitter.
you are just upset
Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #4660
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
you are just upset
About?
Closed Thread