Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 6 4.03%
Fischer, Zach 5 3.36%
Healey, Josh 6 4.03%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 2 1.34%
Koumontzis, Demetrio 21 14.09%
Lomberg, Ryan 32 21.48%
Mattson, Mitchell 2 1.34%
McDonald, Mason 7 4.70%
Pollock, Brett 5 3.36%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 1 0.67%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 62 41.61%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2018 - Round 21

Summer time, and time for ...

Calgarypuck's 6th Annual Prospect Ranking Poll Series

Here are the last 5 years for a quick glance ...
Prospect Rankings
2013 - Results
2014 - Results
2015 - Results
2016 - Results
2017 - Results

As per usual the vote is up to you. Some see it as most likely to play, some see it as highest ceiling, others see it as a mix of both.

Happy voting!

Who will join Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau, Sam Bennett ,Matthew Tkachuk and Mark Jankowski as the top prospect. Previous four have gone straight to the show.

2018 Results

1. Juuso Valimaki - 83.41% (Round 1)
2. Rasmus Andersson - 67.45% (Round 2)
3. Dillan Dube - 49.74% (Round 3)
4. Tyler Parsons - 36.51% (Round 4)
5. Andrew Mangiapane - 45.63% (Round 5)
6. Oliver Kylington - 55.74% (Round 6)
7. Spencer Foo - 46.5% (Round 7)
8. Jon Gillies - 73.25% (Round 8)
9. Matthew Phillips - 51.67% (Round 9)
10. Morgan Klimchuk - 71.13% (Round 10)
11. Glen Gawdin 50%
12. Adam Ruzicka 50% (Round 11 Results / Run Off)
13. Linus Lindstrom - 30.43% (Round 13)
14. Eetu Tuulola - 33.17% (Round 14)
15. D'Artagnan Joly - 25.93% (Round 15)
16. Hunter Shinkaruk - 35.00% (Round 16)
17. Mathias Emilio Pettersen - 26.45% (Round 17)
18. Fililp Sveningsson - 28.73% (Round 18 )
19. Milos Roman - 43.18% (Round 19)
20. Martin Pospisil - 35.33% (Round 20)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

D.Z for the second time. I liked the little highlite reel ..
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Up to date visual
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meant to vote DZ but hit the wrong button
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Meant to vote DZ but hit the wrong button
Schneider?

I can move it
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pospisil won last round, so I'll go with the other 4th round pick from this year's draft: Koumontzis.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been voting for Zavgorodniy for 7 or 8 rounds now. Long shot but I liked him at the development camp and am intrigued by how much higher he was ranked than where he was drafted.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lomberg again... will probably have more NHL career points than all of the other guys combined.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Lomberg again... will probably have more NHL career points than all of the other guys combined.
I'll take that bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yeah me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'll take that bet.
That is just my opinion as I really don't think any of these players will ever see the NHL. As for a bet, the logistics of that would be incredibly difficult to administer. We need to wait for all of these players to retire before the bet is concluded, so ~20 years on some because they can theoretically make the NHL at 38 years old. I also understand it can end in 2-3 months if one of these players makes the NHL and scores 2 points lol
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is just my opinion as I really don't think any of these players will ever see the NHL. As for a bet, the logistics of that would be incredibly difficult to administer. We need to wait for all of these players to retire before the bet is concluded, so ~20 years on some because they can theoretically make the NHL at 38 years old. I also understand it can end in 2-3 months if one of these players makes the NHL and scores 2 points lol
Sounds like someone is already backing down.

As I stated earlier, Lomberg's heart is unquestionable, but that's about all he has that is NHL-worthy. I think a concussion ends his career sooner than later because he takes some serious beatings playing his way. He got an accidental point last year, but I'd be surprised if he ever plays in the NHL again.

So really, all someone needs to do is get 2 points. Hell, Mason McDonald might get into some games and pick up a couple of assists. I'd wager the odds are higher on that than Lomberg playing any more NHL games.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Sounds like someone is already backing down.

As I stated earlier, Lomberg's heart is unquestionable, but that's about all he has that is NHL-worthy. I think a concussion ends his career sooner than later because he takes some serious beatings playing his way. He got an accidental point last year, but I'd be surprised if he ever plays in the NHL again.

So really, all someone needs to do is get 2 points. Hell, Mason McDonald might get into some games and pick up a couple of assists. I'd wager the odds are higher on that than Lomberg playing any more NHL games.
That is fair. I do think he will get another NHL game this upcoming season on the fourth line because Huska really likes him. I am also heavily leaning towards none of the remaining prospects playing very many games. Mason McDonald needs to stick in the AHL before we start making NHL projections for him.

Once again, this is just my opinion though. Often times, these prospects are hyped but nothing ever comes out of it. This includes prospects that are taken in higher and lower rounds. Maybe I am just sour after guys like Rienhart, Irving, Ortio, Howse, Wotherspoon, Seiloff, Poirier were supposed to become stars after their junior years.

Last edited by keenan87; 07-30-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is fair. I do think he will get another NHL game this upcoming season on the fourth line because Huska really likes him. I am also heavily leaning towards none of the remaining prospects playing very many games. Mason McDonald needs to stick in the AHL before we start making NHL projections for him.

Once again, this is just my opinion though. Often times, these prospects are hyped but nothing ever comes out of it. This includes prospects that are taken in higher and lower rounds. Maybe I am just sour after guys like Rienhart, Irving, Ortio, Howse, Wotherspoon, Seiloff, Poirier were supposed to become stars after their junior years.
I'm sorry, what?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Reinhart was overshadowed by his four year younger brother during his last season in juniors. Ortio didn't play in juniors. Howse is a bit of a special case of what-could-have-been if his heart was into hockey, but even then no one projected him to be a star. Wotherspoon didn't have the offensive stats to project him to be much more than a depth defenseman in the NHL. Seiloff's one year in juniors was dismal due to injury. Certainly none of those guys were expected to be stars.

Poirier's the closest on that list of players that had an upper limit projection of that of a star, but as always dealing with prospects, that's a much bigger difference than being expected to be a star. So, yeah, a weird take on things.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Max Reinhart was overshadowed by his four year younger brother during his last season in juniors. Ortio didn't play in juniors. Howse is a bit of a special case of what-could-have-been if his heart was into hockey, but even then no one projected him to be a star. Wotherspoon didn't have the offensive stats to project him to be much more than a depth defenseman in the NHL. Seiloff's one year in juniors was dismal due to injury. Certainly none of those guys were expected to be stars.

Poirier's the closest on that list of players that had an upper limit projection of that of a star, but as always dealing with prospects, that's a much bigger difference than being expected to be a star. So, yeah, a weird take on things.
Agreed, though you left off Irving, who was fairly highly touted IIRC.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

I am not going to spend too much time to search for all the threads but you can simply go back to threads created for each of these players and how many posters were high on these prospects. Maybe not "Star" (so I stand corrected) but definitely solid core players which is equivalent to a guy like Neal or Hamonic on today's team.

Rienhart was dominant in the playoffs when he carried his team and everyone thought he was going to be a special player... at this point, he was not overshadowed by his younger brother. (https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...einhart&page=6)

Howse - Being compared to Getzlaf and Hull (https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=howse&page=5)

Ortio - The next Kipper https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=ortio

Wotherspoon - Was ready to make the NHL team and be a solid contibutor https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...erspoon&page=2

Sieloff Signing - Top 4 was what people were thinking https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...sieloff&page=2

Everyone of these players had a First Name "Fricken" Last Name type of thread made for them.

Last edited by keenan87; 07-30-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #18
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

DZ, just way more potential than the others
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not going to spend too much time to search for all the threads but you can simply go back to threads created for each of these players and how many posters were high on these prospects. Maybe not "Star" (so I stand corrected) but definitely solid core players which is equivalent to a guy like Neal or Hamonic on today's team.

So I clicked each link you have - I assume you are going to the page you want to reference and they don't really support you:

Rienhart was dominant in the playoffs when he carried his team and everyone thought he was going to be a special player... at this point, he was not overshadowed by his younger brother. (https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...einhart&page=6)The link you have doesn't really say what you think it does. The posters say he has a shot at being in the NHL and that's about it

Howse - Being compared to Getzlaf and Hull (https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...t=howse&page=5) The poster who mentioned those guys just noted that Howse had similar production in junior. But then went on to say he'd never challenge those guys in points. Plus that poster has a lifetime suspension. All the rest of the posts seem to downplay Howse.

Ortio - The next Kipper https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ighlight=ortio The only mention of Kipper (and Rinne) are by a guy who says Finnish goalies are often late bloomers.
Wotherspoon - Was ready to make the NHL team and be a solid contibutor https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...erspoon&page=2 The posters in this link are pretty accurate on Wotherspoon, actually.

Sieloff Signing - Top 4 was what people were thinking https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...sieloff&page=2 5-6 is what people were thinking and they also said he was years away from that.

Everyone of these players had a First Name "Fricken" Last Name type of thread made for them.
Bolded a response
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lomberg I guess...? Either him or Koumontzis

I really don’t think our 7th round selection from this year should be ranked this highly. There’s a reason he was a 7th round pick. I think some of you are much too easily influenced by a highlight package. Maybe I’m wrong but I’ll trust the scouts on this one.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote