Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2018, 12:01 AM   #61
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Like you all I like Wilson and would love to have him here but there's no way In Hell I'd pay him that much.i give him 2.5 to 3 million then settle on 3.5 .the caps will regret signing him to that much in my opinion. I hope he will continue to get better and show ever one he deserves that much.but I really dont think he will

You negotiate as well as an Oiler GM. Chia, is that you?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #62
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Shades of Lowe in 2006 with Pisani and Moreau after good playoffs with ridiculous money and term.

Would’ve been like the Flames signing Donovan long term after 2004...never mind Conroy, who they let walk.
This reminds me a lot of the Shawn Horcoff contract
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #63
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this one's mind bottling bad, though it's better than the Lucic and Brouwer contract, so I guess there's that.

Enjoy having that anchor attached to you, Caps.

Last edited by Karl; 07-29-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #64
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That contract is three years longer and $21 million more than it needed to be. Washington will regret this.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #65
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That contract is three years longer and $21 million more than it needed to be. Washington will regret this.
With upcoming CBA talks, it looks like they are anticipating a compliance buyout, although the contract does have a lot of signing bonuses that could act as a poison pill.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #66
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
How far off was that dude who predicted all the contracts? He seems to have been close on most so far, so it would really be telling if he was a few mil off.
off by over a million. Prediction for a 6 year contract was 4.043m, expectation was a 4 year contract at 3.560m.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #67
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
He's only 24 so I don't think it's that bad of a deal as others make it to be. He's nowhere near the wrong side of 30. The Caps are banking on Wilson taking the next step forward, so in that sense it's a gamble in that they hope he continues trending up. But people said the same thing about Marchand years ago after the Bruins cup win and he turned out just fine.

I really think Wilson is one of the up and coming skilled-pests in the league, and his contract will be just fine going forward. He played a huge role in bringing the cup to DC. If you're going to pay someone big like this who might not quite deserve it, at the very least you can say they played a big role in bringing you to the holy grail.
I don't necessarily agree with you, but I absolutely admit that I did not see Marchand turning into the player he is today.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #68
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's only 24 so I don't think it's that bad of a deal as others make it to be. He's nowhere near the wrong side of 30. The Caps are banking on Wilson taking the next step forward, so in that sense it's a gamble in that they hope he continues trending up. But people said the same thing about Marchand years ago after the Bruins cup win and he turned out just fine.

I really think Wilson is one of the up and coming skilled-pests in the league, and his contract will be just fine going forward. He played a huge role in bringing the cup to DC. If you're going to pay someone big like this who might not quite deserve it, at the very least you can say they played a big role in bringing you to the holy grail.
Marchand was a long way ahead of Wilson offensively at this stage of his career even he wasn't at his peak.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #69
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Blake Wheeler (6-5 225) as a 24 year old had 44 pts the season Boston gave up on him.

“I’ve finally grown into my body as a 30-year-old, which is kind of crazy, but I think it’s the truth,” Wheeler quipped, noting that earlier in his career he looked “a little like a baby deer.”

Why are so many Flames fans excited about Jankowski? I think he hits his peak a lot later than normal.

Wilson and Jankowski were both out of the 2012 draft.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #70
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But people said the same thing about Marchand years ago after the Bruins cup win and he turned out just fine.
Marchand had a 20-20 season with the Bruins when they won the Cup and he had a solid playoffs.

He followed that up with a 28-27 season in 76 games. And then they signed him to his first big contract (4.5M a year). And then, before that contract even kicked in, he lead the team in scoring. Before he got his 6M contract he had already had a 37 goal in 77 game season. Not really sure where the parallel exists, because if anything with Marchand is that they sign him to a below-market contract and then he goes out and exceeds it. Wilson has a lot to do before he gets his play to "market-value" for his contract.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: