Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Ehliz, Yasin 1 0.27%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 46 12.53%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 4 1.09%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 4 1.09%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 61 16.62%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 114 31.06%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 134 36.51%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 3 0.82%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 0 0%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Noticeable lack of star potential forwards. Really solid top 3 d tho. Kylington, Valimaki, Anderson could all develop into top pairing guys. Hopefully we keep our 1st this year and can try and snag a gem forward.
When you don't draft in the top 10 or so you will have a hard time getting top stars. The Flames had three top 10 picks and turned them into Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk. They nailed two out of three. Bennett is a disappointment given his draft position but still can be solid. Later first rounders you just expect a solid NHLer. They probably got decent value for the Jankowski pick, did well with Backlund and I think they will do OK with Klimchuk. I think Valimaki will turn out to be a super pick for his draft position.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #22
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies is the most important prospect. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but Gillies moving forward is key to the Flames success.

Parsons hopes to do in the next 2 seasons to equal what Gillies has done. .910 followed by a .917 sv %.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I think our top 6 prospects are all pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Noticeable lack of star potential forwards. Really solid top 3 d tho. Kylington, Valimaki, Anderson could all develop into top pairing guys. Hopefully we keep our 1st this year and can try and snag a gem forward.
While it is true that we have a lack of star power with the forwards, I agree with SeanCharles because I look at the NHL roster and what it needs.

We have Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, and Jankowski, all 25 or under. We have a good young core to build around.

What we need are some guys to fill that out, and to replace the complementary players, like Frolik, with cheap contracts as needed.

And with that being the case, I look at guys like Czarnik, Dube, Foo, Mangiapane, Lazar and Klimchuk and, to me, as long as we get 2 or 3 NHLers out of that pack to complement the core, that is what is required.

And the fact of the matter is that, even after moving out Hickey and Fox, we are still well stocked on D, with:

Hanifin (21)
Andersson (21)
Valimaki (19)
Kylington (21)

so that should provide a lot of support for cap management over the next few years.

The big thing - what it all comes down to for the future of the Flames IMO - can we develop a goalie?

We shall see, but having:

Rittich (25)
Gillies (24)
Parsons (20)
MacDonald (22)

There is at least a decent chance.

When evaluating prospect depth, you have to consider where the organization is currently, and what their needs are. The Flames have a solid young core and what they need going forward is a steady stream of complementary players to fill out the roster. And I think they are well positioned in that regard.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #24
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep thinking that last year was a mulligan in Parson's development.

I think we're going to be talking about him very seriously as the backup on the big club as early as this year. I believe in this kid and think he's going to be leapfrogging the pack far sooner than we're giving him credit for. This will be a very interesting camp this year as he has to prove last year really was an odd aberration in his development. He's definitely the kind of person that will want to set the camp on fire, if he has the ability.

I don't want to rush him, but I think him playing with Smith for the final year of his contract will really help shape out our back-end going forward.

So... Parsons
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went Parsons again but it's a hard choice right here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parsons for me, upside as a very good #1 goalie, but needs more time to develop. Hasn't proven himself at the pro level yet, but a first pro year impacted by injuries and playing across a couple of leagues will do that. If he does not take a step forward this year however, his ranking next year will likely slide.

I put Mangiapane in the next group, but I think I may even go for Kylington ahead of him, as they both have proven themselves in the AHL, but Kylington has the higher upside. I may even have Gillies ahead too, but I have to think on that more.

If this is a run off (which it is shaping up to be) it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Do the Foo votes go to Mangiapane (more NHL ready) and the Kylington votes for to Parsons (selected for upside)?
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #27
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I was going to go with Kylington (huge tools)... but I think I changed my mind to Mangiapane on the strength of his last AHL campaign.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #28
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mangiapane for me. Goalies are too much of a wildcard IMO after years of these polls

I have high hopes for Parsons, but for me it's Mangiapane and Kylington ahead of him

Last edited by Wood; 07-12-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #29
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you look at his progression from junior to pro, Mangiapane has developed noticeably every single year. I think he has a solid NHL career as a top 6 winger written all over him.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #30
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watch out, Klimchuk is picking up steam.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #31
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The apparent race for this round is a travesty IMO.

Mangiapane is one of those prospects that may or may not carve out a modest NHL career, or he may top out as a tweener. His upside is probably a 3rd liner.

While goalies are impossible to predict, Parsons has the pedigree, and the tools, to become a #1 goalie. His upside is to be a franchise goalie.

IMO, this is no contest.
Goalie are actually really easy to predict. They almost all washout before becoming NHL starters.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Goalie are actually really easy to predict. They almost all washout before becoming NHL starters.
I’m not sure their bust rate is significantly different from skaters. Half of skaters taken in the 1st don’t pan out either. And then in the second round only what 25% of players turn out? There’s not that many goalies that go in the 1st anymore.

The majority of defensemen and forwards bust as well. I think the thing that makes people focus on the goalies is their long development time. You think more of guys like Ortio and Irving because they were in the system forever and don’t focus as much on guys like Poirier, Pelech, and Nemisz, Chucko, etc.

The majority of prospects bust. That includes goalies and skaters. I’m not convinced that when you get to the second round that goalies are any more of a gamble than a skater.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #33
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

two comments on Parsons:

1) is he a good a prospect at age 20 as was Brossoit at age 20.

Brossoit in echl 5 seasons ago 24-9-2 2.14 GA , sv % .923

Parsons last season 12-12-0 3.16 GA sv% .902

2) would we want to trade for Parsons if he was in a different organization? Is he a Colton Point, Carter Hart level of prospect?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If evaluating players was a simple case of looking at last year's stats and ending it there, every team would trade low on every player at some point in their career path.

Can we not go a little deeper than that and actually have some reasonably intelligent and useful analysis? Can we not consider the bigger picture just a little bit?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
two comments on Parsons:

1) is he a good a prospect at age 20 as was Brossoit at age 20...
Mmmmmmno.

Tyler Parsons was the starter on the gold-medal-winning U-20 team, and has also won a Memorial Cup. Brossoit does not come close to touching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #36
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Has to be Mangiapane (he should have won round 3 IMO)

Take into account the following:
2017/18
-Top of the league in points per game in the AHL last year (forwards, 21 years old or younger)
-production relative to the rest of the AHL for the 2017/2018: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=136
-Top on the team for goals, points, primary points, 5v5 points, 5v5 primary points, NHLe, estimated P/60, etc. This is before you factor in the fact that Mangiapane played the least games of the regular AHL Flames prospects with 39.
-involved in 38.38% of all Heat goals, nearly 16% higher than the next highest contributor
Comparables
-Similar producers at even strength generally make the NHL full time at an 88% clip, scoring around 0.53 PPG throughout their careers which puts him in-line with players like Ferland, Lindholm, Backlund, Domi, Silfverberg, etc.

VOTE YEASTMODE!!
(all data stolen from others)
A good post and almost sways me (I voted Foo)
Mang is 2 years younger, 2 inches shorter, but only 6lbs lighter than Foo.
Mang has been the better scorer in the AHL, but has had one season longer there.

Foo has scored 2 NHL goals in 4 games - Mang zip for 10. Hard to discount that.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Maybe, but most top goalies were also drafted/developed by their current team. Holtby, Bobrovsky, Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, Gibson, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Crawford. MAF would be in the group but for expansion.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #38
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Struggled between Kylington and Parsons as they are both very talented but both have question marks. Ultimately went with Parsons. Mangiapane is close to these two but I think his ceiling is lower.

Ultimately, I think if these guys were on the trade market the return would be (highest to lowest):

1) Parsons- a first round goalie, proven winner, athletic, good head for the game, lots of potential
2) Mangiapane- closest of the 3 to be NHL ready
3) Kylington- higher upside than Bread but has a longer road to be a NHL regular
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The second my boy Parsons locks in a spot I’m joining Scorp just to piss off all the grumps.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #40
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Parsons
Klimchuk
Mangiapane
Foo
Kylington
Phillips

That's my order for now. I prioritize ceiling over floor but not by much, which is why I have Klimchuk over eat bread, as i believe he will be an nhl player for sure.
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote