Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #201
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're 250, I think it's just a fact of life that you're going to chew through bottom brackets. I had an old mtn biking buddy who destroyed them all the time, he was about the same size.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #202
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ not 100% sure I agree with this, as I am about 270, and the BB on my thunderbolt is from factory. My commuter bike has been in service since 2013 or so and the bottom bracket has yet to fail; although I am having some creaking sounds from the BB area; however, it comes and goes and it still feels the same as ever.

but in general, if you are riding a bike really hard and you are above 230 geared up, then yeah some extra strain on gear so to me it makes a little more sense to buy quality parts/go up a level from the base level
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #203
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect it is mostly due to being the same crappy BB I had trouble with, as I am no lightweight either, and that's the only one I've had die twice on me.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #204
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first B.B. was stock and I don’t remember the brand. I have installed a Shimano and Truvativ. I will find another brand and see what happens unless I can get a warranty replacement.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #205
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I upgraded the components on my R3, but picked the wrong bottom bracket when I ordered. I had to go buy another one at a store and purchased this one made by Wheels Manufacturing. https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...nks-black.html

So far it's been great, although I've never had a problem with any bottom bracket I've ever used. My other two bikes still have the originals on them. including my 2009 Kona Zing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #206
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, Wheels Manufacturing...

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #207
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ not 100% sure I agree with this, as I am about 270, and the BB on my thunderbolt is from factory. My commuter bike has been in service since 2013 or so and the bottom bracket has yet to fail; although I am having some creaking sounds from the BB area; however, it comes and goes and it still feels the same as ever.

but in general, if you are riding a bike really hard and you are above 230 geared up, then yeah some extra strain on gear so to me it makes a little more sense to buy quality parts/go up a level from the base level
B.B. creaking 9 ot of 10 times needs the treads regreased. Most common cause I have found. I usually see this a couple times a day.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #208
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

165lbs and I blow through BBs at an obnoxious rate. I suspect it has something to do with the bike having a low BB and me running long cranks. Line selection has never been a strong suit so I pedal strike a ton... I think that takes a toll on the bearings.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #209
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Are these mainly mountain bikes with the bottom bracket issues? I'm starting to wonder if I'm just getting really lucky with parts on my bike or if maybe there are issues I'm not noticing.
I'm coming up on 10,000km on my cyclocross commuter, and have only had to replace the cassette, chain and tires. Fully loaded with work gear I'm probably around 180lbs between me and the backpack if that makes a difference.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #210
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Tomorrow's the CP Ride! I had to make a slight modification to the 100km ride to avoid a couple new gravel sections. It adds a couple kms but no elevation.

105km (207m)
https://www.strava.com/routes/15249995

62km (134m)
https://www.strava.com/routes/15249199

Here are the people who are riding:

KTrain
Worth
hungryhun
ken0042
the_only_turek_fan

Maybes:
JohnnyO
Coys1882 (at the end so we can draft off him)

ken0042 and I are doing the shorter route at 9am so we can join the the 100km group until we hit Chestermere and then branch off. We'll all meet up at the end at Cold Garden for pints.

There's room for more to join so meet us at Cold Garden at 9am and we'll get some kms in and have a few laughs.

Last edited by KTrain; 09-07-2018 at 09:31 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #211
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just like to notify you that my super soft status has won the day, and I won't make it. To many things to do!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #212
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typing this from work, hope all you CP riders have a great day out there!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #213
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
165lbs and I blow through BBs at an obnoxious rate. I suspect it has something to do with the bike having a low BB and me running long cranks. Line selection has never been a strong suit so I pedal strike a ton... I think that takes a toll on the bearings.
Hollowtech or square taper?
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #214
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Lots of fun and a lot of wind on the ride today. A false sense of security as we rolled into Chestermere with a tail wind. They even had a parade for us. (we had to navigate between floats in the Chestermere Country Fair Parade).

ken0042 and I left the rest of the guys to battle the long route and headed back to Cold Garden. The rest joined us a couple hours later.

Everyone broke 100km on the day and I think had fun despite the wind. We'll be doing it again next year.

worth, the_only_turek_fan and I are doing the 100km route of MEC Fall Century next week if anyone is interested in joining us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #215
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Lots of fun and a lot of wind on the ride today. A false sense of security as we rolled into Chestermere with a tail wind. They even had a parade for us. (we had to navigate between floats in the Chestermere Country Fair Parade).

ken0042 and I left the rest of the guys to battle the long route and headed back to Cold Garden. The rest joined us a couple hours later.

Everyone broke 100km on the day and I think had fun despite the wind. We'll be doing it again next year.

worth, the_only_turek_fan and I are doing the 100km route of MEC Fall Century next week if anyone is interested in joining us.

I’m pretty sure we passed each other as you were headed south and I was headed north around 3:20 just south of the Inglewood bird sanctuary.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #216
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I’m pretty sure we passed each other as you were headed south and I was headed north around 3:20 just south of the Inglewood bird sanctuary.
Yup, that would have been Ken and I heading home.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #217
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode whitetail>braggin Rights>Merlin>long distance>telephone loop today. Garmin tells me that this ride was 23k with 669m of climbing and it took us 2 he s and 39m

I have ridd n this circuit before, but reversed it today and coming down long distance was a lot of fun. Finishing on telephone was tougher than I thought it would be.

I will repeat.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #218
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

combust- raceface PF BBs, just keep replacing the ones recommended for Next cranks.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #219
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rode to the pub today.

I will repeat
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #220
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks to KTrain for setting up the ride and the sandwiches. Looking forward to next Saturday.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post: