Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #201
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
F^%^% fixed game. Totti red card was B.S. as were the 3 offside decisions on good Italy goals.

I hate you.

Honestly the fact that the ref was pretty much banned from reffing for fixing games, a convicted criminal after that game just proves it was rigged IMO...I feel like that game being fixed was swept under the rug by FIFA since they allowed him to ref in a major tournament to start with.
I don't deny that. But strategically Korea still had to take chances. Even with all the rigging, Italy were going to win 1-0.

I just wanted to give you the two extremes, your favorite and least favorite games.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #202
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

That stretch of soccer was so painful for Italy fans since they had what was a "Golden Generation" that looked like it wouldn't win anything.

94 - PK loss in finals
96 - Don't make it out of group stage after shock loss to Czech Republic (coach rested 4 starters and then got an early red card)
98 - PK loss to champion France in Quarters
00 - Lose Euro finals after conceding in the 93rd minute
02 - Lose Controversial game to Korea
04 - Don't make it out of group stage at Euro despite not losing a game

Then they win in 06 when everyone thought the team was past it's prime and too old to win.
You could be the Dutch!

92 PK loss SF to Denmark
94 loss QF to Brazil
96 PK loss QF to France
98 PK loss SF to Brazil SF
00 PK loss SF to Italy
02 Failed to qualify
04 PK loss QF to Sweden
06 R16 loss to Portugal
08 ET loss QF to Russia
10 ET loss Final to Spain
12 out in group stage
14 PK loss SF to Argentina

Last edited by GirlySports; 06-04-2018 at 04:30 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #203
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sane also was completely ineffective vs Brazil in their friendly a couple months ago and was up against a slow Dani Alves. I still don’t agree with the decision but if a player is clearly not performing for the national team I guess that’s a legitimate reason. I do think Low should’ve adapted his system to possibly use Sane more effectively if that’s the case. Sane is incredibly explosive and I was quite impressed with him this past season, crazy that Rudy will be going to the World Cup and he won’t. Odd.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #204
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Thanks! He’s been doing an amazing job. My only criticism of him is he has shown a bit too much loyalty to certain former Corinthian players (Augusto, Paulinho), as he was Corinthians previous manager. He didn’t give Fabinho or Arthur a legit shot at making the team, both I believe are better options but he’s done such a great job that I trust his decisions. He’s one of the most popular figures in Brazil right now, he definitely inspires confidence. My biggest question is how will Brazil respond when they are down, they’ve only been down a goal maybe once or twice since he’s been in charge. He’s got a Klopp/Simeone vibe on the touch line.

The article does bring up a very good point about Neymar, Brazil aren’t nearly as Neymar dependent but it’s an entirely different team when he’s on the field. Even if he’s not playing well his prescence forces the defense to bring multiple defenders to him. He needs to be much more disciplined and avoid getting carded and let others talk to the ref. Brazil cannot afford to lose him for the knockout rounds.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-04-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #205
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Should I not be shocked Leno was left at home? Did he have a bad season? Personality issues?
Him and ter stegen dont get along
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #206
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sane has been horrible for germany, which plays a big part in how their tournament teams get selected

Low has always leaned towards those who are top level for the NT even when club form isnt breat, podolski and klose being the biggest example of the last few teams
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #207
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope my Company doesn't look at my internet usage during the world cup.

With all week day games being essentially shown on TSN I can stream them at work!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #208
HHW
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You could be the Dutch!

92 PK loss SF to Denmark
94 loss QF to Brazil
96 PK loss QF to France
98 PK loss SF to Brazil SF
00 PK loss SF to Italy
02 Failed to qualify
04 PK loss QF to Sweden
06 R16 loss to Portugal
08 ET loss QF to Russia
10 ET loss Final to Spain
12 out in group stage
14 PK loss SF to Argentina
Ya, as a Hollander, that is a painful list. That said, considering that the Netherlands has less than a quarter of the population of most football powers, it is nothing to be ashamed of. Some really great wins precede many of those results.

Btw 2004 is incorrect. They beat Sweden, lost in SF

Last edited by HHW; 06-08-2018 at 08:19 PM.
HHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #209
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

France tying the US today, I don’t think they have a real system to fall back on as a team. They seem poorly managed. They obviously have the individual skill to have a great tournament but their results in qualifying and other recent games have me on the fence about them.

Mexico also losing to Denmark 2-0, could be a very rough first game against the Germans.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #210
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
France tying the US today, I don’t think they have a real system to fall back on as a team. They seem poorly managed. They obviously have the individual skill to have a great tournament but their results in qualifying and other recent games have me on the fence about them.

Mexico also losing to Denmark 2-0, could be a very rough first game against the Germans.
I watched the Danish game. I thought the Danes looked quite good but also heard Mexico didn’t play all of their likely starters.

For Denmark, their first game against Peru likely decides their fate.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #211
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Aussies had an uninspiring 2-1 win over Hungary. They clearly didn't put in much effort and were trying to avoid fatigue and injuries.

Bring on the French!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #212
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could Spurs potentially be the downfall of the England National Team?

Tony Adams says yes!

Quote:
Former Arsenal defender Tony Adams has told the Sun that Tottenham Hotspur players do not know how to win and that he fears England's chances at the World Cup will be affected by their lack of success.

Five Tottenham players -- captain Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Kieran Trippier -- are in the England squad, and Adams, who captained the side for several years in the 1990s, said their inability to win a trophy at club level means they do not possess a winning mentality.

"You must be able to handle winning emotionally and mentally and if they don't know how to win it, they aren't going to win it," Adams said.

"I'm really worried about these Tottenham players. I don't think they know how to win. They're very good players, but at certain points in seasons and tournaments, you have to step up. There's a psyche [that] players must have."
http://www.espn.com/soccer/england/s...ers-tony-adams

So maybe they should quit now before they Spurs it up and save everyone the airfare to Russia.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #213
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing Lukaku at anywhere from 16-20 to 1 to be top scorer in the WC seems like insane value. With Hazard and Mertens crossing from the wings and De Bruyne through the middle, he seems like a really good bet to be top scorer.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #214
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Seeing Lukaku at anywhere from 16-20 to 1 to be top scorer in the WC seems like insane value. With Hazard and Mertens crossing from the wings and De Bruyne through the middle, he seems like a really good bet to be top scorer.
I see your bet and raise you 1 'Roberto Martinez.'

Notorious for his free-flowing style and high-scoring tactics.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #215
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Could Spurs potentially be the downfall of the England National Team?

Tony Adams says yes!

http://www.espn.com/soccer/england/s...ers-tony-adams

So maybe they should quit now before they Spurs it up and save everyone the airfare to Russia.
Well if there’s anyone who knows about failure it’s Tony Adams.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #216
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I see your bet and raise you 1 'Roberto Martinez.'

Notorious for his free-flowing and high-scoring tactics.
Yeah....Belgium feels like the front runner for the "Amazingly talented roster that was mismanaged by an idiot coach" award.

France also has good odds.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well if there’s anyone who knows about failure it’s Tony Adams.
Oooh! Thems fightin' words! Not with me because I dont care about Tony Adams, but Arsenal fans may think differently!

Old 06-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #218
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny because looking at the Belgium set up the last few games, Martinez actually appears to be going pretty aggressive and attack minded. Which in the World Cup is probably a mistake with how many teams are gonna pack it in.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #219
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah....Belgium feels like the front runner for the "Amazingly talented roster that was mismanaged by an idiot coach" award.

France also has good odds.
There's really no reason that Belgium shouldn't be considered a top contender this year for Russia. They have a very talented group with no glaring weakness.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #220
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oooh! Thems fightin' words! Not with me because I dont care about Tony Adams, but Arsenal fans may think differently!
Sure but even so, how’d it work out for him with Granada?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good