Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #3321
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To validate a ticket, riders must then scan it on board the bus or train.
Does that mean the validators will be on the trains? Cool if it means you can run and grab a train that is departing, but if that is the case I could see people not buying tickets unless the transit cops are checking.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #3322
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do they tie their phones to their head while they stand outside?

Some phones do not fare well in cold temps.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #3323
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing is, when you're train is stuck between platforms for an hour because of some "mechanical" failure... do the e-fares get reset or something? And then your battery dies because you've been reading CalgaryPuck for the whole time.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #3324
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

probably the same thing that happens when your paper transfer expires because theres a delay: nothing and hope the train cops are sympathetic
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #3325
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Some phones do not fare well in cold temps.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #3326
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

If you're that concerned about your phone dying, then the paper passes are probably your best bet moving forward. That, or charge your phone more and carry a portable charger?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #3327
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Having a train ticket by time is the dumbest thing only Calgary would think of.

Everywhere else you pay the distance or quadrant

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #3328
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll see how these 'validators' work (or how annoying it will be to wait behind someone fumbling on their phone to unlock their phone and 'activate') but I'll give it a fair shake.

It has to be better than running to some weird retail outlet to buy tickets and passes every month right?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #3329
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing they should do is make the tickets “forever” like stamps.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #3330
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Requiring a phone app is a half baked solution - many of the leading systems worldwide have moved to contactless payment where you have the option of tapping a credit card, using Apple Pay etc. A far better option for visitors unfamiliar with the system. I feel like it’s going to be outdated the day it launches.

It’s hard to believe that Hong Kong has had the octopus card since 1997 and Calgary Transit is still trying to figure this out.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #3331
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Public Transit - Discussion

Something like the Suica card would be good in this scenario, and simpler, I think. Eventually phase out paper tickets as much as possible.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #3332
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yep. Why we can't use a system that works flawlessly around the world in one way or another beats me.

Plus, at a nominal purchase point for the card, for every tourist who picks up a card for a few days, you get that income.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #3333
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Yep. Why we can't use a system that works flawlessly around the world in one way or another beats me.

Plus, at a nominal purchase point for the card, for every tourist who picks up a card for a few days, you get that income.
Exactly. I will never understand why they didn't just make a deal with Vancouver and buy the Compass technology. Works great, and they sell millions of cards to tourists, and it also works with contactless payment. Of course, their train runs to the airport, so that helps immensely.

From the payment perspective, best system in Canada hands down. Presto in Ontario is awful.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #3334
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Requiring a phone app is a half baked solution - many of the leading systems worldwide have moved to contactless payment where you have the option of tapping a credit card, using Apple Pay etc. A far better option for visitors unfamiliar with the system. I feel like it’s going to be outdated the day it launches.

It’s hard to believe that Hong Kong has had the octopus card since 1997 and Calgary Transit is still trying to figure this out.
The Octopus is great because not only is it simple and efficient, but you can use it at all kinds of stores and restaurants as well. It's really so useful for the consumer as well.

And of course London has the Oyster and full contactless payments. You can buy the card and load it as needed, or just tap your credit card as you pass the readers.

But yeah...let's get some app to have people mess around with this and hope it works well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #3335
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Exactly. I will never understand why they didn't just make a deal with Vancouver and buy the Compass technology. Works great, and they sell millions of cards to tourists, and it also works with contactless payment. Of course, their train runs to the airport, so that helps immensely.

From the payment perspective, best system in Canada hands down. Presto in Ontario is awful.
I think that would be the prudent decision now as we are so far behind in the world of ticketing. However if you look at park plus that was a well developed in house system that was superior to anything in existence at the time so it’s not like the city can’t develop a good system that can be sold on the market. They just needed to do it 10 years ago.

Now just buy one that works.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #3336
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One thing they should do is make the tickets “forever” like stamps.
Yes, absolutely. Why they are not is beyond me.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #3337
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a couple of years since I've used one, but I've never been asked to pay extra to ride the bus using an older ticket from the ticket books. Is that a problem people are having?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #3338
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Because the value of the tickets changes if the price of a single ticket changes, which does happen every 1-3 years.

Any option going forward should be a universally-accepted payment system such as Apple Pay / Google Pay that enables a time-sensitive token on the phone (e.g. 90 minutes I think is the current timeframe of a Calgary Transit ticket). An auto-generated QR code is generated and sent to your phone via SMS or email, and you can use that QR code to scan onto a transfer bus/train if needed.

Other options include having a specific CoC app for a transit pass, as well as having a "Suica" card (similar to that in Tokyo) that you fill at transit stops or convenience stores that can be used as a pre-paid option.

This doesn't even mention future ticketing systems involving biometrics and/or AI. Simply walking onto a bus or train and with facial or fingerprint recognition would then trigger an automated ticket that is billed to your house monthly.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #3339
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's been a couple of years since I've used one, but I've never been asked to pay extra to ride the bus using an older ticket from the ticket books. Is that a problem people are having?

I have on the bus, when I initially assumed the tickets are "forever". I wouldn't say its embarrassing, but I don't carry loose change to make up the difference.

I don't know the stats on how much the City would loose if they just honoured all tickets regardless of purchase date. I don't see this becoming a scam unless the same person is using tickets from 1997 all of the time.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #3340
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know the stats on how much the City would loose if they just honoured all tickets regardless of purchase date. I don't see this becoming a scam unless the same person is using tickets from 1997 all of the time.
I'm sure that the 10% that they'd "lose" by honouring the occasional old ticket would be well below what they lose through general fare evasion in just a few minutes of operating each day. Plus they already get to keep the revenue for unused, lost, or washing machine tickets.

I agree - just make them permanent for 1 fare. If someone is hedging against fare increases by investing in bulk ticket purchases, then good for them I guess. Same as with stamps, most people won't be bothered to invest in something like that to save a few bucks down the road.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings