Exp:

Nice work CB!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #22
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Looks great. If you are considering more work PM your company name to me please. I've seen insurance quotes (expected to be high, but seen many and they have competing quotes), P3 Quotes, small builder's quotes (as many of the custom builders in town get), and renovation quotes (admittedly, my own), and if that's the price, spread it around.
Keep in mind this was a custom built home so obviously prices were higher but for a regular 2000 sq ft house where two guys should have zero problems finishing in 2 days about $2500 is more than fair. Paint would cost around $500 so that leaves the painter with about $500 profit a day which is around what any professional painter should and does make.

Like I said you get guys who do a great job advertising and get a lot of work and can charge more because they have good word of mouth and they sub out the right guys who do a professional job. I know some guys who make a living by charging $2 a sq ft and then sub it out for $1. When times are tough like right now guys will work for that much because they can't get jobs themselves. Even when times are great you get guys who can't find work through builders who will work as a sub contractor at way less than what the job is actually worth.

All I'm saying is ask around and don't always go with the big company because you're paying middlemen for no reason. There are so many good guys even on Kijiji who are professionals at what they do but aren't that good at advertising or keeping their name out there. And there's also terrible guys so make sure u get some references or even ask to see a house they've recently painted.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #23
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Thanks calgaryblood.

Anyway, sorry for calling you out on your price but my own experiences have been quite different.

Last edited by Kjesse; 05-01-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #24
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Thanks calgaryblood... but how do you sort the good from the poor painters on kijiji as a consumer?

Anyway, sorry for calling you out on your price but my own experiences have been quite different.
That's a fair point. It is hard I would imagine as a consumer which is why people choose to use big companies who know the right subs. Personally I ask trades about their recent work and if I could look at a job they recently finished whether it be a tile guy or a hardwood floor guy. Being a painter I know a lot of good painting crews who sometimes are out of work because they don't know how to get work or don't know how to properly advertise. I also know a lot of bad painting crews who are busy year round because they're good at advertising and that kind of stuff. Honestly one guy I know I've had to fix so many houses behind him and he's still busy every single day. So it's a tricky thing to gauge and asking around is probably your best bet.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty surprised at how cheap painting is now. I contracted about 23 attached infills, so 46 new houses, about 2000 sq ft per house. They sprayed all the millwork, ceilings and rolled a coat of primer and two coats of paint and it was never less than 15k for both sides and easily a week per side with several guys working in stages. $3 a foot would surprise me. Especially in an older, lived in home. But I guess I'm out of touch. Glad to see lower prices now.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm pretty surprised at how cheap painting is now. I contracted about 23 attached infills, so 46 new houses, about 2000 sq ft per house. They sprayed all the millwork, ceilings and rolled a coat of primer and two coats of paint and it was never less than 15k for both sides and easily a week per side with several guys working in stages. $3 a foot would surprise me. Especially in an older, lived in home. But I guess I'm out of touch. Glad to see lower prices now.
I think a new build is a different ball game, no?

Is this including caulk/putty for all the millwork?

Priming adds a bunch of time and cost.

After painting our whole place after a reno, anything brand new took me significantly longer because of these factors.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I worked for College Pro years ago when I was a student.

We really had no experience.

As a painter we got paid for "piece work". We ended up working for close to nothing all of the time, because every job would take far longer than the manager quoted for.

https://myuniversitymoney.com/is-col...inters-a-scam/

Last edited by troutman; 05-02-2016 at 01:40 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

After painting our whole place after a reno, anything brand new took me significantly longer because of these factors.
Yes. The biggest difference is the ceilings. That's a buck a foot right there. The dap is done by painters but the joints and nails holes were done by the carpenters. Also the drywall guys did all the imperfections. The hardwood was covered by the contractors so really painters just had to come in and paint. I still can't really imagine two coats and mill work for less than $3 a foot. I'm still livin in the 2008's.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #29
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

Every painter wants to do the nail holes and caulking themselves. Someone with little or no experience caulking can literally ruin the wood and cause thousands in damages or you'll have to settle for a sub par product. Caulking is a art and so is filling the holes so that nothing is visible to the naked eye.

It's rare a finisher fills the holes but when it does happen it pisses me off and it's usually a newer finisher thinking he's helping when in fact he's making the painter lose time and makes his work look worse.

And yes, new builds is a different game as it's easier to paint when nothing is in the house obviously and you don't have to worry about tiles/hardwood etc.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know any good painting companies. But I do know that Polish people are good painters.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #31
Leapfrog
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
We are looking at selling a property and need a pre-sale, whole-home paint job. Looking for a good quality but reasonably priced painter to do the job. Anyone have a recommendation for a Calgary-based painter?

Hi.... i have not read through thiss entire thread.... but i have provided painting services for a few fellows CPers.

I worked as a painter back in the day, and still do projects here and there. I am meticulous and reasonably priced.

There are a couple of reviews about my work in the "power ring" section i believe. Do a search for INTERIOR PAINTING i think.

I would love to come and take a look. Pm if you're interested.
Leapfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #32
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dug up this thread looking for a painter a couple weeks ago and just hired calgaryblood to paint a friend's condo. I used to be a contractor and my friend is agonizingly picky...pretty much a nightmare for any painter. But calgaryblood shut us both up. He finished the job within minutes of his scheduled time. And it is literally flawless. I've hired and paid for dozens of paint jobs and this one is easily the best. Not a touch up anywhere. Perfect cut lines. Big holes patched to perfection. No messes anywhere. 10/10. He's really good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #33
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. You guys were a pleasure to deal with as well.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #34
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. You guys were a pleasure to deal with as well.
Hi CB - can you PM me your company name? Thanks!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #35
grungyfox
Draft Pick

We've used A Burst Of Colour for all our interior painting jobs and it's always been top notch. Maybe we just like the Aussie accents - who knows!
grungyfox is offline   Reply With Quote