Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #321
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
This has probably been brought up before, but does it bother any other Shaw customers that Shaw charges for service several months in advance?
I received an email in the first week of May stating that I owed over $300, but when I checked on shaw.ca, the $300+ bill included May-June, and June-July monthly charges.
I've had Shaw for years and have never heard of that. Is that even legal? It's Shaw...they don't care if it's legal.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #322
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Which is excellent news for those of us on Teksavvy cable (read: Shaw cable for less money), as I am as of this morning.
does teksavvy have wifi modems? The service and prices look really good.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #323
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
does teksavvy have wifi modems? The service and prices look really good.

There is a list of the compatible modems on their site. I am not sure if any of those have wifi built in.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #324
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
This has probably been brought up before, but does it bother any other Shaw customers that Shaw charges for service several months in advance?
I received an email in the first week of May stating that I owed over $300, but when I checked on shaw.ca, the $300+ bill included May-June, and June-July monthly charges.
Doesn't bother me too much to see the bill one month in advance. I've never seen it multiple months at once though. One advantage is I can see when a deal I had is ending so I can call them to make changes to my account.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #325
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I've had Shaw for years and have never heard of that. Is that even legal? It's Shaw...they don't care if it's legal.
My parents have been paying Shaw in 2-3 months allotments for decades.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #326
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If anyone is interested, Shaw came out with a new WideOpen 150 internet deal today.

http://shop.shaw.ca/Internet150?intc...o1-all-nonshaw

150 Mpbs down
15 Mpbs up
1TB data transfer per month

$49.90/month for first year
$79.90/month for second year
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #327
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
If anyone is interested, Shaw came out with a new WideOpen 150 internet deal today.

150 Mpbs down
15 Mpbs up

hmm.. wonder if it's possible just to do those 2 years and then go back down to a slower speed/cheaper deal... $135 regular price after the 2 years.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #328
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

150 Mpbs down
15 Mpbs up

This is an excellent deal from Shaw. 1TB is virtually unlimited bandwidth for most people. Had I not gone to Teksavvy in March, I would have jumped on this deal.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #329
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
hmm.. wonder if it's possible just to do those 2 years and then go back down to a slower speed/cheaper deal... $135 regular price after the 2 years.
To answer my own questions yes you can. Existing customers pay the $80 for 2 years though :/ still $5 more from internet 30 for 5x the speed
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #330
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
This is an excellent deal from Shaw. 1TB is virtually unlimited bandwidth for most people. Had I not gone to Teksavvy in March, I would have jumped on this deal.

I just did. Gonna be a lot of media streamed when I move!!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #331
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I would bet there would be an opportunity to jump on a new 2 year deal when your contract is ready to expired. I will guess they will be motivated to keep you locked in.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #332
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speed test (over wifi) after I upgraded. I'm using the modem in bridge mode with an Asus N66U running AdvancedTomato. The new modem is quite a bit larger but doesn't seen to draw more power than the old one. The Shaw speed test maxes out the connection, while external ones seem to cap out around 80 Mbps.

Seems like a lot of people are upgrading; I had to wait almost 40 minutes at the Chinook Shaw store and most people were getting new modems.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bob; 07-16-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #333
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Called and switched from Telus today. Can't get an installer out until July 21 though.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #334
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Seems like a lot of people are upgrading; I had to wait almost 40 minutes at the Chinook Shaw store and most people were getting new modems.
Yep. So many that by the time I made it there tonight (the earliest possible I could be there), there were no more new modems available to be picked up. The support agent on chat couldn't reserve one for me earlier today. And the store has no phone number or way to reach them. At least I got a 90+ minute drive in the rain out of it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #335
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Yep. So many that by the time I made it there tonight (the earliest possible I could be there), there were no more new modems available to be picked up. The support agent on chat couldn't reserve one for me earlier today. And the store has no phone number or way to reach them. At least I got a 90+ minute drive in the rain out of it.
I went to the downtown store at around 11 am and they were already running out. I only had a 10 minute wait though. My speeds are pretty much the same as Bob and others got. Saving 20 bucks on the bill makes me happy too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #336
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

One's getting mailed to me. I'm not chancing getting to another retail store only to leave empty handed.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #337
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They sent me a letter at the start of this year telling me to swap my modem so I could be ready for future service upgrades, and I did. And now for OpenWide, they say I have to swap again. So what was the point of giving me that crappy refurb Cisco a few months ago?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #338
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't panic and go on a tour of Shaw stores in Calgary and waste a day trying to get the upgraded modem. As someone coming from 50 and got 150 a few days ago I haven't noticed a massive bump at all. Sure I get theoretical 160 down on wired, but it was pretty fast before. Streaming is more or less the exact same response. Maybe if you stream 4K there will be a difference, but overall I notice my day to day surfing is more or less as responsive.

The price and upload speeds are the bigger wins here. Price alone I am saving $40 month (including a overpriced choice pack I dumped). That is a huge win, so waiting for a new modem is not a huge deal IMO.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #339
GWSurvey
Draft Pick

Default Speed tests

@Bob

When you run speed tests on speed test.net, I found that the Calgary shaw sever seems slower, likely because it is getting used the most.

Try the Edmonton shaw server and check to see if your results are better
GWSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #340
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

www.fast.com
I just heard about the 150 so will make the call tomorrow but I have the 120 and normally get 140 mbps

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote