Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBS All Access? They don't want people to watch?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Having watched all of TNG in the last 2 years, I'd say the majority of it is still watchable. I'd have no issue returning to that time period, post DS9, though as some mentioned it could be a tough sell for those unfamiliar with the continuity.
Many years ago I bought the box set of TNG and watched it from start to finish.

Its a goddamned miracle that show survived the first 3 seasons.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Season 2 had enough to show that it could have legs, even though some of it was pretty strange or lousy. No complaints about Season 3...it has some of my favorite episodes.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #24
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Season 2 had enough to show that it could have legs, even though some of it was pretty strange or lousy. No complaints about Season 3...it has some of my favorite episodes.
Season 3 is where TNG gained momentum, and it really established itself in season 4.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #25
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that DS9 is much more rewatchable than TNG, but, TNG has classic episodes that DS9 can't touch.

DS9 also has the worst, and by a mile, series finale of all time. So bad. So god damn bad.

The dominion wars arc was pretty incredible and well written.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

It's like that for a lot of series. The main issue is the seasons being 25+ episodes long. It's much better when the shows get concentrated into 12-15 solid episodes.

Also getting rid of Crusher was a huge step in the right direction. There was a bit of a George Lucas effect with Roddenberry being very hands on in the first season. It took a couple seasons to write out a lot of the garbage he got going.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What if we merge two popular franchises.

NCIS Federation, a series about military criminal investigators fighting crime in a Utopian future where crime simply doesn't happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
What if we merge two popular franchises.

NCIS Federation, a series about military criminal investigators fighting crime in a Utopian future where crime simply doesn't happen.

With Admiral Satie in charge?

Oh yes...this cant miss.

Cast Wil Wheaton as the Head Investigator!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #29
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I recall correctly Michael Dorn (Worf) was saying that he was going to be meeting with Paramount to launch a new series. This was not that long ago, so either he was very convincing, or more likely they had something already in the works.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If I recall correctly Michael Dorn (Worf) was saying that he was going to be meeting with Paramount to launch a new series. This was not that long ago, so either he was very convincing, or more likely they had something already in the works.
Hopefully the first episode involves some sort of trial whereby he is sentenced to being launched into the sun.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #31
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I wish they would do the Star Trek: Federation plot that never took off. It sounds like it could be amazing

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/S...ek:_Federation
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
My biggest worry with a reboot is the potential for lazy writing. Just take the best parts of the old universe and just redo them, but "edgier".

I'd prefer the new series to be set in the original universe. As long, as the plot wasn't overly dependent on the original series, it could work. Given the amount of time, that's passed since the previous series, that wouldn't be too hard to pull off. They could even do what TNG and TOS did and have it start 100 years after the previous series. This allows you to keep the other shows as cannon but essentially create a new universe.

But yeah, I think it's going to be entirely a reboot. I just hope they don't continuously pull in TNG actors in for cameos via some extra-dimensional transport.
The previous series has too many ridiculous concepts in it's canon it including time cops from the 29th century, Holodeck fantasies, all-powerful god beings, and a single wimpy Starfleet exploration ship that defeated the Borg consistently for 8 years while flying through their home quadrant.

Jettison it all!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I find that DS9 is much more rewatchable than TNG, but, TNG has classic episodes that DS9 can't touch.

DS9 also has the worst, and by a mile, series finale of all time. So bad. So god damn bad.

The dominion wars arc was pretty incredible and well written.
I still haven't watched the DS9 season finale after taping it 16 years ago. I think I will avoid it forever from what I hear.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Cast Wil Wheaton as the Head Investigator!
That would be cheating because Wesley can freeze time and phase across the universe with this mind. (Another example of the stupid excesses that the original Star Trek canon created).
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully the first episode involves some sort of trial whereby he is sentenced to being launched into the sun.
Even as a kid, I was so sick with how Klingon-heavy TNG was just because one of the main cast-members was a Klingon. Honor this, Kahless that, Gagh this, Kapla that!" Arrgh!!!! I hate Klingons!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

we have enough "dark" content on TV. Star Trek at its heart is about optimism for a future where disease, war, poverty, discrimination and all the things that plague us today have been reduced or eliminated. you can still have an excellent show that doesn't require it to take place in some sort of broken, apocalyptic alpha quadrant with photon torpedoes in everyone's face.

but I suspect that's where it'll end up heading anyways because it's easier to write and easier for the casual viewer to get into, because we're all cats chasing laser pointers.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #37
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Even as a kid, I was so sick with how Klingon-heavy TNG was just because one of the main cast-members was a Klingon. Honor this, Kahless that, Gagh this, Kapla that!" Arrgh!!!! I hate Klingons!!!
I get that, it drove me up the wall quite a bit too. Frankly I liked the Klingons in the Original series. They were more like the frat house bad neighbours of the galaxy. They were loud obnoxious jerks who showed up, got drunk and pretty much caused trouble wherever they went because they could.

They didn't talk about honor or anything like that, they were just rowdy guys with ridiculous eyebrows and bowl haircuts.

I did like them in DS9, because you had an element that were again, just plain jerks trying to over throw the government, and they were portrayed really well in the war.

I even liked the Klingons better in the Star Trek Movies. In the search for Spock, pretty much jerks and thugs. They were nicely done in Star Trek 6 when they added dignity to their race and turned them from a singular jerk species to one that was very much human.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
we have enough "dark" content on TV. Star Trek at its heart is about optimism for a future where disease, war, poverty, discrimination and all the things that plague us today have been reduced or eliminated. you can still have an excellent show that doesn't require it to take place in some sort of broken, apocalyptic alpha quadrant with photon torpedoes in everyone's face.

but I suspect that's where it'll end up heading anyways because it's easier to write and easier for the casual viewer to get into, because we're all cats chasing laser pointers.
I always kind of found those episodes where they talked about that as overly preachy about it.

In the Original series they talked about that, but every episode showed mankinds killer angel nature with an inviting hand reaching out in compassion and a sword in the other hand. It was a good balance. They even went at it directly in the episode where Kirk's personality was ripped in two, and the things that were admirable about the human species, kindness, compassion, consideration and equality couldn't survive without our demon side.

Even in Star Trek 5 they addressed it beautifully in what was otherwise a bad movie. When Spock's brother promised to release everyone from their pain and angst and bring them peace and Kirk snarled back that

Quote:
amn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Ostensibly, TNG was more an exploration of the characters than it was an exploration of space. Worf and Data were given pretty much the only truly creative backstories that the writers could do much with. So we ended up with a lot of Klingon drama and Data's insecurities. What else were they going to do? Troy and Riker's post-relationship awkwardness? That would have been even worse than the giant push they tried to give Wesley. Even Picard wouldn't have been much of a character without Patrick Stewart completely owning the role.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ostensibly, TNG was more an exploration of the characters than it was an exploration of space. Worf and Data were given pretty much the only truly creative backstories that the writers could do much with. So we ended up with a lot of Klingon drama and Data's insecurities. What else were they going to do? Troy and Riker's post-relationship awkwardness? That would have been even worse than the giant push they tried to give Wesley. Even Picard wouldn't have been much of a character without Patrick Stewart completely owning the role.
The biggest problem was that in the last year or two of the show and the movies it became the Data and Picard variety hour, where you weren't sure who was going to do a Shakespeare performance or break into a song and dance routine.

It was actually pretty horrible to watch in the last two Star Trek TNG movies.

the rest of the cast, the Geordi's, the Troi's (except for her breasts) the which ever doctor and the Worf characters faded into the background and served to push buttons to initiate and inverse Tacyhon pulse.

I liked Patrick as Jean Luc Picard, but he just wasn't a captain that captured me like Kirk and Sisco did, with the exception of the episode when he went home after recovering from his experience with the Borg, he was just too softened up in the later years.

Kirk was a man's man, he didn't romance woman, he just totally used them, he was decisive and understood that a hard universe required hard and decisive choices. When he had to negotiate he did, but when it was time to knuckle up, he was there. Picard just kept talking and talking and blah blah blah.

With the exception of a few episodes and story arcs , I hated the fuzzy, bright soft TNG series, to me it was just meh.

Until the movies came along the ship didn't even take interior damage. You could practically hear the crew snicker when the ship took a massive hit and all it was was a soft beep and the stupid ventral shields failed again, and the bridge still looked perfect.

Every time the bridge elevator door opened you could practically hear the "Girl from Ipanima playing and you could practically see the elevator attendant retrieving the heated towel that he'd used to buff Picard's shiny head.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: