Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2021, 02:52 AM   #2821
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
My buddy in South Florida called me up yesterday and asked me about this. I guess it is making rounds in the anti-masker community which he is a part of.

I told him to send it to me, and as soon as I heard the voice I cracked up. I drive by city hall all the time. I also thought, why on earth would AHS and CPS show up to the front door of this guys cult? He's literally been waiting decades for this moment.

I know they have a job to do but man, it was poorly thought out. I could have told you this was what would have happened just from sitting at the red light watching him all these years, and seeing him on his little marches.
This is hilarious. He's made the news here in Poland too recently. I know Artur. We've got a lot of mutual friends and I've met him a couple times. Nice enough dude off camera but I can tell you right now he gets off on this kind of attention and has for years. He's about as much a 'Christian' as I am an astronaut. Wannabe cult leader is a better description.

Dude has spent his life being one of those 'fight the establishment' people and likes to tread the line simply to get reactions from authorities all under the guise of being social justice warrior.

He made a movie about himself fighting for social freedom. His YT page is all the same. Interesting guy, but quite the narcissist as well.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 AM   #2822
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
CTV News has a poll question today:
Do you agree with the AHS decision to close GraceLife Church?

Sadly about 2/3 of the respondents do not agree.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/
Link to the article? You have the home page
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 AM   #2823
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Itís a poll on the home page.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #2824
Inferno099
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Bottom left of the page.
As of now 36% agree AHS fencing the church and 64% do not agree 7940 votes.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #2825
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah that poll is going to skew highly one way. A guy I've been acquainted with has been really active on Facebook over the last few weeks since that pastor was out in jail.

He went from rarely using Facebook to being an activist against the restrictions and "human rights violations against Christians" and posting several times per day.

He and his like minded friends have been sharing the heck out of this poll and asking people to vote to save Christianity. Just like our old CP jihads.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #2826
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post
Bottom left of the page.
That's way more votes than those polls usually get, so I think they've got their supporters lined up.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #2827
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure a CTV poll will match the thoughts of people around here. They had 45% of people give Nenshi an F for his tenure in Calgary. About the exact opposite of the Nenshi thread.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #2828
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Itís a poll on the home page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post
Bottom left of the page.
Thanks, Even being told it was on the bottom left, that poll was still hard to find among all the other graphics and links cluttered on that page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not sure a CTV poll will match the thoughts of people around here. They had 45% of people give Nenshi an F for his tenure in Calgary. About the exact opposite of the Nenshi thread.
Not exactly a 36/64 split, but I reckon if we had an anonymous poll, itíll be closer to a 50/50 split on CP. Iíve noticed Conservative CPers tend to be more quiet here

CTV viewers tend to be in the older demograph who tend to be more conservative. If you held the same poll on Globalís site, Itís likely to skew less in favor for the church
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #2829
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler!

Reminder that Calgary puck isn't representative of the broader population and is also prone to the echo chamber effect.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #2830
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post

Here's your answer.
Oh FFS

My anger has nothing to do with his being a religious leader, although I question what sort of leader knowingly puts his "flock" at risk.

It has to do with this #######'s believe that he is more important than everyone else.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #2831
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Spoiler!

Reminder that Calgary puck isn't representative of the broader population and is also prone to the echo chamber effect.
Reminder that online polls are skewed because they only represent those who have a strong enough opinion to participate. Real research makes sure the sample is representative of the population.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #2832
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Reminder that online polls are skewed because they only represent those who have a strong enough opinion to participate. Real research makes sure the sample is representative of the population.
Absolutely agree. I've just seen a lot of folks become dismayed and angry that other people fall on another side of an issue that they're passionate about. Enough so that the broad brushes get pulled out and it becomes quick to start othering wide swaths of people for having differing perspectives and values. Seems to be an unfortunate side effect of our reliance on the internet to share ideas these days.

The CTV poll for instance, it's easy to think that the only people answering a certain way are a small number of kooks and one's own opinion about the matter is the only valid and rational one. Less easy to try to understand why many would answer differently without boiling them all down to detestable boogeymen.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #2833
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
Absolutely agree. I've just seen a lot of folks become dismayed and angry that other people fall on another side of an issue that they're passionate about. Enough so that the broad brushes get pulled out and it becomes quick to start othering wide swaths of people for having differing perspectives and values. Seems to be an unfortunate side effect of our reliance on the internet to share ideas these days.

The CTV poll for instance, it's easy to think that the only people answering a certain way are a small number of kooks and one's own opinion about the matter is the only valid and rational one. Less easy to try to understand why many would answer differently without boiling them all down to detestable boogeymen.
Sure. Then what is your understanding of why many would be opposed to this shutdown? It's easy to say that understanding is harder work but worthy work, but it's harder to show you've actually done that work.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #2834
cupofjoe
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Don't get discourage by this, these types of polls have no validity in representing how the general population feels about this issue. Unless the poll is proper done, they are just click bait, nothing scientific about it.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #2835
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. Then what is your understanding of why many would be opposed to this shutdown? It's easy to say that understanding is harder work but worthy work, but it's harder to show you've actually done that work.
They have a different level of acceptable risk? Anyone I talk to that is opposed to the restrictions basically boils down to that.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #2836
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
They have a different level of acceptable risk? Anyone I talk to that is opposed to the restrictions basically boils down to that.
That's not really a valid or rational reason for being opposed to a church being shuttered for consistent and purposeful defiance of those restrictions, though, so it doesn't answer the question. And someone's personal level of acceptable risk may not be valid or rational to begin with.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:29 PM   #2837
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not really a valid or rational reason for being opposed to a church being shuttered for consistent and purposeful defiance of those restrictions, though, so it doesn't answer the question. And someone's personal level of acceptable risk may not be valid or rational to begin with.
Oh right the poll was for the church right? I thought it was for the recent restrictions coming in tomorrow. Yah the church is just a weird situation all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #2838
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two people in Lethbridge have been charged with having a house party in March... actually two house parties. Two weekends in a row.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/organizer...lice-1.5379899

What isn't being reported in the news is that these parties are linked to an outbreak declared at one of the local high schools as well as Lethbridge College and a large local business (name or type is unknown to me). Three large institutions in Lethbridge face huge amounts of quarantines due to these two house parties.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #2839
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a great definition of wilful ignorance.

Saying someone is wilfully ignorant is calling them stupid without directly calling them stupid.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #2840
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Oh FFS

My anger has nothing to do with his being a religious leader, although I question what sort of leader knowingly puts his "flock" at risk.

It has to do with this #######'s believe that he is more important than everyone else.
I doubt the laws in place to protect religious services from disruptions care.

Like I say, go "set up shop" in front of a house of worship and sling abuse at members and see how it works out for you. Or better yet, walk in and start swinging as you so heroically suggested and collect your prize.

Criticize religion all you want, ill be right there with you. Criticize and be angry at their decisions. But for the people miffed as to why such protections exist, your post couldn't have illustrated why they are in place any better.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote