Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
wranglers Taking an in-depth look at every prospect in the Flames' system

Yo. The Heat are on a week-long break so I decided to spend a few days putting together a little under 10,000 words talking about every prospect in the Flames' system.

https://theheatbeat.substack.com/p/t...spect-rankings

I've had the chance to get a really good read on somewhere between half and two-thirds of the Flames' prospect pool this season with multiple viewings (in the case of the Heat players, I've seen every single game these guys have played). For the players I haven't seen, I dug into their comparables in various leagues and used statistics from a really good resource called Pick224 to nail down their relative value and trajectory.

In all, I had a lot of fun putting this together and I figured some of you guys might find it interesting. Let me know what you think and, if you like it, feel free to subscribe to the newsletter. I'm putting new issues out on a bi-weekly basis.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
1qqaaz, 3thirty, 442scotty, 8sPOT, Ashes, Azhouse, badger89, Badgers Nose, Bankai, BeltlineFan, bzoo02, CF84, CliffFletcher, ColoradoFlamesFan, cral12, cupofjoe, D as in David, DazzlinDino, DeluxeMoustache, Derek Sutton, Dion, DJones, drewtastic, fastpuck, Fighting Banana Slug, flambers, FlamesAddiction, Flamescuprun2018, FlamingHomer, FlatLandFlamesFan, flylock shox, ForeverFlameFan, Funkhouser, getbak, Gondi Stylez, GreenHardHat, Hart50, Heavy Jack, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, Itse, Jiri Hrdina, KevinKlineReadingABook, Manhattanboy, MrMike, Off the Wall, OutToLunch, P-DAZZLE, Pellanor, Plaedo, Poe969, Red Slinger, Reggie Dunlop, Rick M., robertsfanatic, rogermexico, Rubber Ducky, Sandman, Savvy27, Scroopy Noopers, sekimet, shadowlord, Slacker, SoulOfTheFlame, starseed, Steve Bozek, Strange Brew, Tacoman, terryclancy, Textcritic, The Big Chill, timbit, Tkachukwagon, Winsor_Pilates, Yrebmi
Old 04-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep up the good work scorp! I really look forward to thr things you put up for us all to read. We're all lucky to have you as part of CP, you're one of the good ones.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Yeah, really great job. That's a lot of work.

Curious about Chechelev being unsigned. Is that normal this time of year for Russian players? Any chance the Flames bring him over?
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You're awesome Mike!!! I have to say that I've enjoyed reading your work far more than my subscription to the Athletic this year. Seriously, great work!
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent write up Scorp. I take a look every now and again at your write ups and this one's the best yet. Keep up the good work.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Off the Wall
Draft Pick

I love your work on Flamesnation and am really pleased you’re covering the Heat this season! This was a great piece.
One question. Jake Boltman, why?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm not sure what the rationale for the Boltmann pick was. He shoots right and he's relatively mobile so I guess they're just hoping his offense arrives at some point... but he was kind of a net-negative player as a freshman in Notre Dame who didn't really move the needle positively in any direction.

Like I said when I was talking about Kuznetsov, it's really tough to be a teenage defenseman in the NCAA. I think he could make the NHL at some point but he'll need to take some steps.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good story, scorp. Still can't believe how few righties are in the system. That's a problem.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, it's a little strange. I profiled 30 skaters and, of them, only these guys shoot right:

Yelesin
Tuulola
Boltmann
Philp (15)
Nodler (14)
Zavgorodniy (12)
Francis (8)
Kinnvall (6)
Phillips (4)

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep we need to start prioritizing righties especially on D but man am I ever excited about Kinnvall! Great write up Scorp you’re killing it bro!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Good story, scorp. Still can't believe how few righties are in the system. That's a problem.
League wide only 38% of the players are righties.
And I think I recall reading that it's even more dramatic with players entering the league.

Though I have no idea why.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #12
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And I think I recall reading that it's even more dramatic with players entering the league.

I was just going to post this...in minor hockey it's like 20% from my experience. Righties are dying out!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #13
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Description for Ruzicka- Phillips combo

Player 1)6’4” and boasts a high-end shot to complement his long reach. Biggest issue is his skating. He’s got a long stride but he doesn’t set the pace on his line and he sometimes has issues with finding separation on breakouts
Player 2)Small but most skilled player. He’s fast, has quick hands, and can make passes nobody else on the Heat could pull off

Does this sound familiar to any of you? lol
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #14
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

If you are right handed (write and throw right handed ) , your dominant or strongest hand is your right hand.
The hand on the top (knob)of your stick is your STRENGTH or POWER hand.
Vice - versa for left hand dominant people.

There are exceptions...but in general that is consistent. Hence, more left handed shooters.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #15
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
If you are right handed (write and throw right handed ) , your dominant or strongest hand is your right hand.
The hand on the top (knob)of your stick is your STRENGTH or POWER hand.
Vice - versa for left hand dominant people.

There are exceptions...but in general that is consistent. Hence, more left handed shooters.
It’s funny though, because as a righty I couldn’t disagree more. It’s even more odd that I am a big proponent of wheeling with the puck one handed on the backhand. So my left hand actually is way more active in a game...

My left hand is completely useless being the lower hand on a hockey stick. And I played goal and caught left, tried to actually be able to shoot left my whole life. It really hindered me. I even tried the old CUJO backhand so I could hold the stick righty. After 30 years the best I can do is softly sauce a puck into the net with a leftie (player stick) with no accuracy.

The body is weird.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm one of those exceptions. Shoot right, write right. I always feel like having my dominant hand closer to the blade gives me more freedom over how I move the puck/ball. Gives me more control over very fine movements. My shot might be a little less powerful but all my motion feels more fluid.

Oddly enough, I kick with my left foot in soccer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s funny though, because as a righty I couldn’t disagree more.

My left hand is completely useless being the lower hand on a hockey stick. And I played goal and caught left, tried to actually be able to shoot left my whole life. It really hindered me. I even tried the old CUJO backhand so I could hold the stick righty. After 30 years the best I can do is softly sauce a puck into the net with a leftie (player stick) with no accuracy.
You would be an exception.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
You would be an exception.
No I know. I’m just saying the whole thing is strange, because what you wrote makes sense.

Don’t get me started on people who golf one way and play hockey the other... wtf is that about?

And I’ve highjacked Scorps thread with nonsense. Sorry, thanks for all the great content!
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #19
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'm one of those exceptions. Shoot right, write right. I always feel like having my dominant hand closer to the blade gives me more freedom over how I move the puck/ball. Gives me more control over very fine movements. My shot might be a little less powerful but all my motion feels more fluid.

I am ambidextrous but have dominant hands and feet. Throw right, write left, shoot right , kick left. Can manage with the opposite hands and feet adequately in each of these skills.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #20
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Your dominant or power hand should , usually , be at the top of your stick.