Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #2341
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Bummer, I was going to start this but sounds like it's not worth it?

Just finished Only Murders in the Building and it was surprisingly very good. Totally different show, but I get Ted Lasso vibes.
I’m not current on all the episodes but by all accounts it is very well reviewed. I haven’t seen anyone say it has dropped in quality.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #2342
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would say yellowjackets is still holding up. It’s maybe moving a bit slower than I would have expected
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #2343
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bummer, I was going to start this but sounds like it's not worth it?

Just finished Only Murders in the Building and it was surprisingly very good. Totally different show, but I get Ted Lasso vibes.
Perhaps I'm being overly harsh. Would be interested in what other watchers have to say. I really enjoyed the first few episodes.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #2344
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second season of The Witcher is out. Must say, it's way better than the first season just based on the fact it's a linear timeline. I've never been a fan of storytelling where they jump all over the place timeline wise, and the first season was a bit of a mess because of it. I'm real glad they stuck to a more linear timeline with the second season.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #2345
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yellowjackets has become nearly unwatchable, already. Unfortunately.
1 season could have been excellent.
At least his rate it won't come close to making 5 seasons.
Im on episode 2 right now and loving it, hopefully for me it just wasn’t for you and I still like it but now I’m more wary for the rest of the episodes
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #2346
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 to the season 2 of The Witcher.

Binged the entire thing this weekend, highly recommend if this is your genre.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #2347
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Really excited that Ozark and Afterlife are back in January. As highly praised as it is I've been getting by just floating through the monoteny of Succession and all it's unlikable characters.

I wish I liked it as much as everyone else seems to, but I just can't get into it. The plot seems to hum along exactly as I predict the whole time (not always a bad thing), with unlikable person after unlikable person attempting to/taking the reigns.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:32 PM   #2348
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Station Eleven on Crave is already a bit of a gem.

Based on a book, pilot was filmed pre-pandemic. So the pandemic vibes are certainly a little too poignant given the past 2 years; but it's great so far!
Old 12-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #2349
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

1883. Not sure where people watch it.

Explores the American West in the late 1800s. 3 episodes in and well worth it.

One of the most interesting periods of time in North American history and it doesn't get a lot of indepth coverage.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #2350
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
1883. Not sure where people watch it.

Explores the American West in the late 1800s. 3 episodes in and well worth it.

One of the most interesting periods of time in North American history and it doesn't get a lot of indepth coverage.
It's a prequel to Yellowstone as well.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #2351
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only person that thinks Yellowstone Season 4 is terrible? I really liked season 2 and 3 but this season is so bad I spend most episodes questioning why I am watching it. Surely Costner must feel a bit of embarrassment being attached to this. I have no idea what the point of this season was outside of making characters become extremely unlikeable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #2352
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Am I the only person that thinks Yellowstone Season 4 is terrible? I really liked season 2 and 3 but this season is so bad I spend most episodes questioning why I am watching it. Surely Costner must feel a bit of embarrassment being attached to this. I have no idea what the point of this season was outside of making characters become extremely unlikeable.
Yup, season 4 has been dumb. Too much focus on other stories that are boring, and not enough focus on the actual story that we care about (the Dutton family).

That being said the last few episodes have been better.

1883 is 10x the show though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #2353
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can you watch 1883 in Canada?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #2354
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Where can you watch 1883 in Canada?
Paramount+ or the high seas.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 01:02 AM   #2355
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Station Eleven on Crave is already a bit of a gem.

Based on a book, pilot was filmed pre-pandemic. So the pandemic vibes are certainly a little too poignant given the past 2 years; but it's great so far!
Awesome, I read the book a year ago and it's one of my favourites. Canadian author, too. I skipped over it when I saw it recommended on TV as I figured it'd be a hokey second rate series.

Will definitely check it out now.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:20 AM   #2356
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Awesome, I read the book a year ago and it's one of my favourites. Canadian author, too. I skipped over it when I saw it recommended on TV as I figured it'd be a hokey second rate series.

I have checked this book out about a hundred times at the airport bookstore over the last year but always went with something else. This post makes me want to give it a try. The premise sounds cool but I was always put off by the theatre troupe angle and the survival of art which just didn't really sound that enticing to me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:15 AM   #2357
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I haven't read it, but recommended a friend who has read the book watch the show. Im not sure what she thinks, she just started. [EDIT: she just messaged me after watching episode 5 and said "Yo they did such a good job with this show!"]

I think it is done quite well. Their are two episodes so far that stick out for me as being first-rate television (episode 5 and 7). The rest is just as good.

FWIW, the Ringer's Watch podcast had rated Station eleven as their number one show of 2021 (they had seen the whole thing before released) ahead of White Lotus

Last edited by Cappy; 12-31-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #2358
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I have checked this book out about a hundred times at the airport bookstore over the last year but always went with something else. This post makes me want to give it a try. The premise sounds cool but I was always put off by the theatre troupe angle and the survival of art which just didn't really sound that enticing to me.
Oh man, I'd definitely give it a read, and before watching the show, maybe. The theatre troupe is more of a way to get a good story going between characters while on the road.

But make no mistake the actual survival of a group of people is the premise and the author hits it out of the park. Not sure if you grew up in Canada and moved south or were always American but the Canadian aspect in a hugely popular book is really neat as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 01:00 PM   #2359
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I haven't read it, but recommended a friend who has read the book watch the show. Im not sure what she thinks, she just started. [EDIT: she just messaged me after watching episode 5 and said "Yo they did such a good job with this show!"]

I think it is done quite well. Their are two episodes so far that stick out for me as being first-rate television (episode 5 and 7). The rest is just as good.

FWIW, the Ringer's Watch podcast had rated Station eleven as their number one show of 2021 (they had seen the whole thing before released) ahead of White Lotus
Excellent, great to hear that someone that read the book likes the series so far. I'll definitely check it out then.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #2360
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man, I'd definitely give it a read, and before watching the show, maybe. The theatre troupe is more of a way to get a good story going between characters while on the road.

But make no mistake the actual survival of a group of people is the premise and the author hits it out of the park. Not sure if you grew up in Canada and moved south or were always American but the Canadian aspect in a hugely popular book is really neat as well.
Nice, just ordered it on Amazon. Definitely Canadian BTW, I might have moved south but that part will never change.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: