Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #181
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 games is too much, given all the factors leading up to the event.

But boy do I not care when we need to play .700 hockey to get into the dance.

Show us what you can do, Nakladal.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #182
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Make whatever logical arguments you want and I'll respect them. Accusing everyone not on your side of being blind homers is pure simple-minded idiocy and should automatically disqualify you from all further discussions.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #183
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll bet they were originally thinking of a 10 game suspension but when they spun the wheel it landed on the DOUBLE IT slot. The wheel of NHL justice is cruel but at least they're being consistent with their inconsistency
V
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #184
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
#Crosscheckgate??? This scenario stinks to the high heavens.

Players out there who gun for each others brains and smoke them only get a handful of games.

Drug users get 20 games!!! This is craziness when you also take into consideration the financial hit as well. This incident is going to cost Widedog approx $780 000 in Canadian dollars. Does this seem like an appropriate financial cost to a player who collided with an official?

#crosscheckgate it is
Watergate was a hotel, is crosscheckgate a hotel? If not then this is not crosscheckgate.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #185
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Again, the issue with the Weber-on-Henderson incident isn't that they collided - no doubt that wasn't Weber's fault - it's that Weber sees him, jumps toward him, and follows through with both arms...essentially a flying shove. He could have just skated into him, instead he tries to explode through him.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #186
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
He was frustrated from being hit and losing the game....handily.

His response was indicative of where many of the Flames player's heads have been over the past number of games....in the clouds, no real focus.

Was it premeditated? No. Did he intend to hurt him? No. Was it on purpose? Yes. He had just got laid out and he was mad. He lost his temper and his focus and took it out on the ref.

He deserves the suspension.
It isn't just about the version of events that I don't believe. Yes I could argue both hands were on his stick and if he only had one, then the ref only gets a push with gloves. Or maybe that he's been hit 1000x and wouldn't get upset by being hit. Or that he outstretches his arms the way someone falling/losing balance would, not the way someone throwing a crosscheck would.

The big thing for me is that in my 30 years of watching the NHL, I have never, ever, ever heard of a player EVER intentionally skating over to a linesman and crosschecking him in the back. No player in recent NHL history has attacked a linesman intentionally. Even ones like Carcillo were more about being belligerent and ignoring refs commands. It doesn't happen.

Which is why I'd understand if Wideman did attack the ref, the NHL would want a long suspension. What I don't understand is how they think that he did attack the ref. There is enough doubt that the only way I buy this suspension is a) the optics b) they don't want to be embarrassed by an officials work to rule campaign (hey, one victim in Wideman is better than league wide anarchy and bad press) or c) if they knew he'd appeal and this makes sure he gets the suspension they originally wanted without suffering the embarrassment of a) and b).

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #187
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
A difference I see with Wideman's incident and the incidents with Weber and Muzzin is where the play as. Wideman was behind the play, heading to the bench, and in fact was going against the direction of play. Weber was following play up the ice, to chase a puck. Muzzin was right in the play. Accidents on their accounts but hard to justify an accident on Wideman's account.

I think Wideman's was an accident, but I understand the ruling. Still shocked at the high amount of games. Makes me wonder if the NHLOA was trying to pressure for rest of season or more.
For the Muzzin one he was skating to the corner and the play was coming up the ice at him. Wideman was skating to the bench as the play was coming up the ice at him. In both cases the ref is watching the play while skating away from it and is blindsided.

Muzzin was pinching on the play and Wideman was going for a line change. Like it or lump it a line change is just as much of a hockey play as Muzzin going into the corner.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #188
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Message is clear, don't touch an official.

NHL has a whole bunch of reasons to make this decision except your unhinged persecution complex.
Except that it's not. When you see Kassian push a linesman and get nothing, it doesn't add up.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #189
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am upset with this suspension because I don't think justice was served.

I don't think a suspension fits with the spirit of the rule to begin with.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #190
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlame View Post
He was frustrated from being hit and losing the game....handily.

His response was indicative of where many of the Flames player's heads have been over the past number of games....in the clouds, no real focus.

Was it premeditated? No. Did he intend to hurt him? No. Was it on purpose? Yes. He had just got laid out and he was mad. He lost his temper and his focus and took it out on the ref.

He deserves the suspension.
It was a 2-1 game where the Flames hit the crossbar in the dying seconds
Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #191
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need a 4th poll choice.

- severe but not surprised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #192
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Make whatever logical arguments you want and I'll respect them. Accusing everyone not on your side of being blind homers is pure simple-minded idiocy and should automatically disqualify you from all further discussions.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but why? I mean he did flatten an official from behind after all and we all knew a suspension was coming. If you stand back and look at this from the point of view of a fan of a different team I would think most fans around the league are in agreement that 20 games is fair.
Guilty.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #193
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Except that it's not. When you see Kassian push a linesman and get nothing, it doesn't add up.
If the official fell over and broke his elbow, Kassian would've been suspended. The NHL places far to much emphasis on the result. If Henderson didn't go to the hospital, I have no doubt this would be a 5, maybe 10 game suspension.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #194
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Watergate was a hotel, is crosscheckgate a hotel? If not then this is not crosscheckgate.
Well, technically the break in happened at the Watergate Office complex - DNC headquarters.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #195
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if Wideman didn't come back in a couple minutes, they could have made a case for him being woozy. When he came back and finished the game, the NHLs hands are tied. The right call IMO
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #196
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said too severe, but only because it feels like they didn't take any circumstances at all into consideration. He deserved a decent length of suspension, at least 10 games IMO, but 20 seems like they were trying to set an example of contacting an official, regardless of context.

Oh well, Wideman was driving me crazy anyways, so we'll get to see if Smid and Engelland a lot more, and maybe Nakladal will finally get a chance to play. It's sort of a lose/win situation as far as I'm concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #197
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

tied for the 8th longest suspension of ALL TIME and people wonder why we think its harsh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #198
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We need an Around the League report to see what other fans are spewing.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #199
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How about this one?

This one looks awful at one angle, and completely different at another. One shows him directly shoving the ref, and another shows him focusing on the opposing winger and losing his orientation, coming up on the ref faster than he thought he was.

Still, the shove seems unnecessary.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #200
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Well, technically the break in happened at the Watergate Office complex - DNC headquarters.
Well now I have to watch Frost/Nixon for the 100th time.
Closed Thread