Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #61
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When it comes to setting up or building your bar, I would say maybe hit some garage sales or try and find one or a few interesting things to build your bar around or build into your bar. Can be a good conversation starter and maybe can be functional as well.

I’m just spitballing here but maybe an antique item that can double as a bottle opener or something. Just to make it unique.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #62
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I built this in my last house.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #63
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the same 2 neon signs, down in Phx!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It looks nice, I guess, but I just wouldn't want to spend any time in that setting.

Maybe you guys are the type that sits at the bar when you go to a pub? I'm definitely not. I like to sit at a table with my friends so we can talk better. Whenever I see one of those guys sitting at a bar it just looks like they've cornered the bartender into being their reluctant friend and I always feel so bad for the guy just trying to work while some guy yaps at him for 8 hours.

IDK, I'm missing something here with this theme/aesthetic/vibe.

Shin Pad - would you play bartender in this scenario and, like, pour drinks for your friends and talk to them while they're on the other side of the bar? I can't picture how this is a good set up to a fun and social night.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #65
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm basically envisioning the bar itself to add to the ascetic, while being a place to get food/drinks then sit around the couch or at a table talking. Or use the bar as the table.

I mean to each their own. I'm just trying to get some ideas.

I'd also like to name the bar. I like the British Style this and that, and I have two sports teams but would want a spin on Flames and Rangers. Fire and Something, Badge and Fire or something but I haven't figured that out yet either.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #66
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It looks nice, I guess, but I just wouldn't want to spend any time in that setting.

Maybe you guys are the type that sits at the bar when you go to a pub? I'm definitely not. I like to sit at a table with my friends so we can talk better. Whenever I see one of those guys sitting at a bar it just looks like they've cornered the bartender into being their reluctant friend and I always feel so bad for the guy just trying to work while some guy yaps at him for 8 hours.

Shin Pad - would you play bartender in this scenario and, like, pour drinks for your friends and talk to them while they're on the other side of the bar? I can't picture how this is a good set up to a fun and social night.
We used this set up a lot for entertaining. It was the centre where everyone gathered (we usually only have 6 people over). I'm not the only one mixing drinks. My daughter-in-law loves being the bartender. Remember - there aren't that many people so the person acting as a bartender isn't really that busy.

Anyway, I sold that house 3 years ago, so I don't have an indoor bar anymore. I just have an exterior bar, which I posted pictures of in the landscaping thread a few years ago.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:16 AM   #67
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see that the landscaping thread has been deleted. Anyway, this is my outdoor bar.

BTW - same neon signs as I had for my indoor bar.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 05-18-2022 at 11:22 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #68
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Ahhh, I remember that outdoor bar. That is kick ass and I would have a blast there. It even solves my problem of not wanting people to take their shoes off as I've noticed that is a vibe killer.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #69
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ahhh, I remember that outdoor bar. That is kick ass and I would have a blast there. It even solves my problem of not wanting people to take their shoes off as I've noticed that is a vibe killer.
LOL - yeah shoes are definitely recommended. The bar is next to a cow pasture
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are associating having a bar with being alone - no wonder you don't like bars.

The OP asked for ideas on a basement bar, and you felt the need to come into the thread to talk about why bars suck. Weird flex.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #71
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You are associating having a bar with being alone - no wonder you don't like bars.

The OP asked for ideas on a basement bar, and you felt the need to come into the thread to talk about why bars suck. Weird flex.
I don't think you know what flex means.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #72
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post

I built this in my last house.
Actually, going back and seeing this, I think this gave me the eureka moment I was looking for.

I was trying to figure out how have an elbow in the bar without making it too big.

Never occurred to me to have the bar top turn but the counter underneath stay the same size. Gives the illusion of the bend I'm looking for, without actually taking up more space.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Exactly, why I started this thread! Thanks Shin Pad!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #73
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Actually, going back and seeing this, I think this gave me the eureka moment I was looking for.

I was trying to figure out how have an elbow in the bar without making it too big.

Never occurred to me to have the bar top turn but the counter underneath stay the same size. Gives the illusion of the bend I'm looking for, without actually taking up more space.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Exactly, why I started this thread! Thanks Shin Pad!
Now make your bar top look like a hockey stick!
Old 05-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #74
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm doing renos in the basement and I'll be building a simple, yet 'pub looking' wall bar. Just a countertop with sink, built in fridge, wall features. That sort of thing.

As others have said, I just don't see the need for a full 'sit down' bar with stools.

I'm still planning on making it an Irish pub theme.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #75
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're thinking of putting a poker table down there, consider not putting in a permanent one as it'll end up turning into just a general table and somewhere to put stuff down on and the felt will end up getting gross and dirty.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #76
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LOL - yeah shoes are definitely recommended. The bar is next to a cow pasture
Awesome. I seem to remember you were setting the groundwork for that saloon--but I never saw it completed (and don't even know if I knew it was going to be such!)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #77
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 AM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see that the landscaping thread has been deleted. Anyway, this is my outdoor bar.

That is awesome - well done!
Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #79
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

This is amazing. It would be especially great on a sunny day, as it would provide some shelter from the sun.

As for the OPs suggestion, I know it's getting a lot of flack, but I think it's a great idea. I don't think MQS is talking about having an entire basement devouted to being a bar. It sounds more like he wants to have a rec room/viewing room with a relatively small area in one of the corners devoted to serving drinks.

IMO the trick to making this work would be to now your audience. Are you regularly having people over to watch games. How many people are you having over? How often are you having people over? This will determine if things like arcade machines, pool tables, etc.. will work.

A kitchen typically ends up the space where most people hang out, but it's also typically an awkward space. People will lean against counters. You have to ask people to get out of your way to access the fridge, glasses, bottle openers, or snacks. There's often a bottle neck at the entrance of the kitchen with people leaning against the doorway. You have to ask them to get out of the way. There's often weird acoustics and echoes in kitchens.

The thing the kitchen has going for it that it's generally a small space. So you can cram 10 people in there and they are all close enough, physically, to have a conversation. A consideration for the basement might be to design it in a way that's not too big of a space. A bar that maybe faces another seating area would might work.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #80
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is amazing. It would be especially great on a sunny day, as it would provide some shelter from the sun.

As for the OPs suggestion, I know it's getting a lot of flack, but I think it's a great idea. I don't think MQS is talking about having an entire basement devouted to being a bar. It sounds more like he wants to have a rec room/viewing room with a relatively small area in one of the corners devoted to serving drinks.

IMO the trick to making this work would be to now your audience. Are you regularly having people over to watch games. How many people are you having over? How often are you having people over? This will determine if things like arcade machines, pool tables, etc.. will work.

A kitchen typically ends up the space where most people hang out, but it's also typically an awkward space. People will lean against counters. You have to ask people to get out of your way to access the fridge, glasses, bottle openers, or snacks. There's often a bottle neck at the entrance of the kitchen with people leaning against the doorway. You have to ask them to get out of the way. There's often weird acoustics and echoes in kitchens.

The thing the kitchen has going for it that it's generally a small space. So you can cram 10 people in there and they are all close enough, physically, to have a conversation. A consideration for the basement might be to design it in a way that's not too big of a space. A bar that maybe faces another seating area would might work.
Exactly, what it'd do is get people from the kitchen to the basement. The bar isn't the focal point, it'd be to get a beer, put out some food, a place to talk, chat during the party, additional seating to watch the game, etc.

Focal point would obviously be the stripper pole rec room/tv.

Also my give a crap about the flack is literally nodda. To each their own, make your own home yours. Do what you want. I was looking for inspiration on how what I wanted would look. I think I've got that now.

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 05-20-2022 at 12:25 PM.