Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #161
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure, obvious is obvious.
The only thing that is obvious is you don't know exactly how other people would react. Pretending that you do know and can guarantee it is hilariously ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #162
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How about this one?

Injury. We know the NHL punishes based on injury. Also attention. That play got no attention. Can't recall ever seeing it before.

It's very likely that if the Wideman incident occurs on the same night as Mcjesus' return and highlight goal and Henderson gets up and is fine, that we never hear about this again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #163
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
well they likely knew he would appeal so gave him 20 because they knew it would be knocked back down
I highly doubt they considered an appeal so they just decided to give him more games and I highly doubt it will be knocked down at all.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #164
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just curious but why are people overly upset about the ruling? Wideman makes a lot of money. He will be fine and really the way fans were going on about how bad he's been this season I don't see what's to be outraged about.
They disagree with it maybe..?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #165
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He was frustrated from being hit and losing the game....handily.

His response was indicative of where many of the Flames player's heads have been over the past number of games....in the clouds, no real focus.

Was it premeditated? No. Did he intend to hurt him? No. Was it on purpose? Yes. He had just got laid out and he was mad. He lost his temper and his focus and took it out on the ref.

He deserves the suspension.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #166
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
So dissentowner... no outrage here.
No, they are not even remotely comparable. One is a guy going in fast and has no where to go and collides with the referee. The other is a guy slowly making his way to the bench after taking a dirty hit and clearly cross checks the linesman from behind. Way different plays.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #167
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
He did show concern. Once Wideman had his wits about him again he went and apologized to Henderson.
That's a nice story, but the footage of Wideman on the bench immediately afterward doesn't support it in the least.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #168
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Injury. We know the NHL punishes based on injury. Also attention. That play got no attention. Can't recall ever seeing it before.

It's very likely that if the Wideman incident occurs on the same night as Mcjesus' return and highlight goal and Henderson gets up and is fine, that we never hear about this again.
Yeah, media exposure probably played a big deal. Wasn't it on the Today Show in the States or something? NHL probably doesn't like that.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #169
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
appeals almost always get the suspension knocked down
Source? I can't recall it happening often. I think Torres was the last one?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #170
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL, should have known with Coly Campbell and the circus it turned into. Part-time hockey followers like Scott Farrall calling for 100 games.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #171
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I highly doubt they considered an appeal so they just decided to give him more games and I highly doubt it will be knocked down at all.
based on what? very likely some games come off on appeal, look at the most recent example
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #172
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kent Wilson@Kent_Wilson
If Wideman wanted a lighter sentence, maybe he should have hit another player from behind on purpose.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
They disagree with it maybe..?
Yeah but why? I mean he did flatten an official from behind after all and we all knew a suspension was coming. If you stand back and look at this from the point of view of a fan of a different team I would think most fans around the league are in agreement that 20 games is fair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #174
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Pretty much. I think if twitter isn't around, and this doesn't end up on Good Morning America, suspension is zero and people don't even really notice... but if you make it big on the news, the NHL has to protect its image.

Either way, no big deal anyways... kind of playing out the season waiting for the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #175
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just curious but why are people overly upset about the ruling? Wideman makes a lot of money. He will be fine and really the way fans were going on about how bad he's been this season I don't see what's to be outraged about.
Because the inconsistency the NHL has with all suspendible actions is infuriating. This is not 14 games worse than what carcillo did. Is it a suspension, Yes it is but 20 games? It is just ridiculous how the league has handled it because of the media
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cznTiburon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #176
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So, this is cynical, but my immediate thought is that the league is fine with an appeal. They've sent their signal to their officials, which is, "we are on your side, we will protect you, we will come down hard on anything resembling abuse of official". Then they'll get an appeal that reduces the suspension to a more reasonable number.

EDIT: Okay, seems like other people had the same thought.
First appeal is to Bettman who I assume will uphold. Then it goes to an independent arbitrator. So could be a while I'd guess.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #177
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm no criminal minds style profiler, but I don't really get the intentional angle either.

If he is of the mind to intentionally target a referee, why the linesman? Just because he is wearing stripes? Because Henderson represents the refereeing fraternity?

Or was it just a careless "I'm injured and need to get to the bench, get out of my way!"
He was shaken up by the hit, and I don't know about you but when I get jarred I get really frustrated. I think he was upset as he went to the bench, then he saw the striped shirt in front of him.

I think it was a snap decision. Despite all the voices in him saying "don't do it, don't lash out", he let his frustration get the best of him and he just up and decked the official. I've made those decisions in my life too (albeit to far lesser consequences), so I can totally see it playing out in his mind and emotions while it happened.

This might be a lame comparison, but once I bumped my head on an open cabinet door. It took me a moment to register what happened, and I was in a lot of pain. I just got so mad and frustrated with myself, the brilliant idea to slam my hand into the cabinet to close it flashed across my mind...and I did it...and I absolutely destroyed the cabinet door. Dumb move. If I had just swallowed my pride I wouldn't have been out the $120 to replace the door.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #178
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carcillo hit an official with his stick, got 10 games and appealed it down to 6

hard to believe the PA won't knock some games off this one
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #179
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe its the hockey gods funny way of letting us have a look at Nakladal.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #180
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is a horrible decision by the officials in a clearly unfortunate accident with a patently non-violent, compliant and respectful player. The message they are sending is... I can't even phrase their message, really. What would that be?
  • We don't care if it was accidental;
  • We don't care if an official was at a wrong place at a wrong time (high collision area during change);
  • We don't care if there were ANY mitigating circumstances occurring at the game immediately prior to the collision (huge hit on a player);
  • We don't care if there was no history of prior carelessness.
  • YOU SHALT PAY!
This is hockey! Accidents on ice do happen, unfortunately, you have chosen a profession that is subject to that risk. I have zero excuses for deliberate abuse of officials and would advocate for maximum penalties and fines in those cases. But to punish a player for an unfortunate accident so severely is absurd.
Closed Thread