Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #521
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, in that case, yes, totally agreed - it's going to be pretty hard to prove that the seller sold the car knowing that it was a lemon, so that's just a non-starter as far as the criminal side of things goes. I would like the CPS to take some of the occasional obvious fraud cases seriously though, because you shouldn't be able to get away with scamming someone.

Incidentally, I bought a leg press off Kijiji a week or so ago and couldn't have had a better experience. The seller gave me all the time I needed to get the thing taken apart, helped me disassemble and load it up, and actually ended up even helping me move it (I could have done it in two trips in my wagon, but he had a pickup). I'd say most of my kijiji buys have gone just fine... I've had more inconvenience with Best Buy than I have with people online this year.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 12-05-2019 at 10:55 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #522
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always a catch-22 selling expensive stuff that involves shipping. There's no way to ship an item and get paid for it without someone potentially getting screwed. I recently sent something from my kijiji ad to Nashville and had to trust a guy with the same name as me who worked at a UPS store to broker the trade off. He was so cool and now we've become buddies. He's never met anyone from Canada, much less a Canadian with the same first and last name.

Also just found out my niece was arrested for selling car batteries on kijiji. So the cops do watch. Although that was an easy one. Who the f sells used car batteries by the dozen? Idiot.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #523
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Also just found out my niece was arrested for selling car batteries on kijiji. So the cops do watch. Although that was an easy one. Who the f sells used car batteries by the dozen? Idiot.
Wait, what now? The heck?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #524
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is selling used car batteries illegal? Something to do with the environmental levy?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #525
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Why is selling used car batteries illegal? Something to do with the environmental levy?
maybe if they see someone selling dozens of them, they figure they might not be lawfully obtained.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #526
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect they weren't procured by legal means...
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #527
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think stealing and selling heavy car batteries is a low margin endeavor.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #528
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why you would ever buy a used battery unless you have a load tester(which you don't). How are you supposed to know if they are any good?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #529
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's always a catch-22 selling expensive stuff that involves shipping. There's no way to ship an item and get paid for it without someone potentially getting screwed. I recently sent something from my kijiji ad to Nashville and had to trust a guy with the same name as me who worked at a UPS store to broker the trade off. He was so cool and now we've become buddies. He's never met anyone from Canada, much less a Canadian with the same first and last name.

Was it "grain of salt" you were selling?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #530
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Police do watch, but one off incidents reported often fall under civil as its buyer beware and it’s one story versus another amidst an agreed upon exchange. There are a fair amount of people who call police and make up stories and try to create scenarios in an attempt to gain favor after the fact when they’re not happy with a purchase and the buyer won’t return.

There are certainly people who make a habit of continued swindling online, selling stolen bikes, selling fake tickets, etc. These incidents get investigated to whatever degree the scenario allows. The one off incidents can as well, but the majority of time are deferred to civil law as an agreement and exchange was collectively made.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #531
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You have the same first and last name?

You and Sliver are in a race for the most interesting person on CP.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #532
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh sorry no. She was stealing them. It must have been pretty suspicious selling multiple batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You have the same first and last name?

Yeah but I have a pretty common name in the southern US. All the people on FB with my name are from the Florida, Georgia or Louisiana. It's not Bubba. Nor a prefix plus Shawn. But it's a very close third. Last name too.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #533
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This just popped up today...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...0770?undefined

Quote:
Description

Painting of Nude Jason Kenney Floating Over Pile of Skulls w/ Legislature in Background
Looking to SPICE UP YOUR BOARDROOM while YOU and your CORPORATE CRONIES map out your EXIT STRATEGY from this RUINOUS PROVINCE?
Want to bring some LIFE to your DRAB BEDROOM WALLS and fall asleep every night ROCK HARD and SOAKING WET?
Trying to find a way to beguile FRIENDS and FAMILY with your SUBLIME TASTE IN ART and KEEN POLITICAL INSIGHT?
This 4’x5’ painting, TWENTY SQUARE FEET of unrelenting ANIMAL SEXUALITY and INHUMAN MALICE, is the KEY TO BETTER LIVING. It looks the way it does because I painted his body using the OBVIOUSLY INEFFECTIVE and DISGUSTING technique of TRICKLE DOWN PAINTING. That’s why he looks all PALLID and SLIMEY.
I am willing to give this painting away for LITERAL PEANUTS because I’m sick of WAKING UP EVERY MORNING to the SOUND OF MY OWN SCREAMS. The highest offer by the END OF THE WEEK gets THIS GIANT SEXY PAINTING. You can literally get this ICONIC IMAGE from this PIVOTAL PERIOD of PROVINCIAL HISTORY for nothing more than a SOCK FULL OF NICKELS.
As much as A SOCK FULL OF NICKELS will be an asset during the coming ENERGY RIOTS, this PORTRAIT OF NUDE JASON KENNEY FLOATING OVER PILES OF SKULLS W/ LEGISLATURE IN BACKGROUND will be EVEN MORE OF AN ASSET. It contains a SECRET MAP like from DAN BROWN’S THE DA VINCI CODE that leads to the ENERGY WAR ROOM which is stuffed with $30 million worth of PRECIOUS GEMS, CANNED FOOD, and JORDAN PETERSON BOOTLEGS. You’ll be a CERTIFIED GRADE A RICH BITCH with this SUBLIMELY AFFECTING work of FINE ART.
ACT NOW or forever marinate in your own RAGE, SHAME, and REGRET like a TURDUCKEN OF SELF LOATHING

Pretty good painting actually
Old 12-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to have to steal "turduken of self loathing".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #535
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is awesome...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collecti...5724?undefined

Quote:
Big Blue Ring Description

Hey due to piling up bills we as a city would like to sell this big blue ring. We hate to let it go but hey when there’s lead in the pipes you gotta do what you gotta do. Almost new! In great condition. Can be used as a giant bubble maker!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #536
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the big blue ring actually functioned as a giant bubble maker (say once a year on Canada day) I'd be completely on board with it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #537
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Used to have luck with people being decent when wanting to buy or sell, especially in the musical instruments category. I dont know what's changed, but it's a dead end anymore.

Example:

Prospective buyer "I am interested in the drum kit for sale. Do you still have it?"
Myself "Yup, still up for grabs"
PB "Cool, I'd like to take it."
Myself "Sounds good, what time works for you"
PB "I just noticed the floor tom is a hanging tom, not a floor tom. I'd need extra hardware to mount it. Will you move on price?"
Myself "I'm firm on price as stated, also, it comes with the hardware to mount said tom." (Also as stated)
PB "Actually, I dont really need that. Would you seperate it out and reduce your price?"
Myself "Not interested in splitting the kit up" (wtf am I gonna do with it?)
PB "Ok, can I come check it out tomorrow?"
Myself "Sure, what time works for you?"

Message read and ghosted.

Nice chatting with you dude!
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #538
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm cleaning out the home office this week and had a bar fridge I just wanted out of the house.

So I posted it for free, with a super clear "pick up only in [neighbourhood]" message.

First reply: "Hey, can you deliver it to [not neighbourhood]?"
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #539
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi jaydorn. Just logged in to say hi. I haven't seen you here in a while. Merry Christmas!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #540
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Which one of you lost a bet? (spoilered for size)

Spoiler!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/calga...obo/1482373453
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post: