Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #281
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Its always funny when people make some remotely unconventional choice “Metal ring? No, I wear silicon!” and make up the most random advantages to justify their own life choices.

Like, yeah, comfort and safety. Because metal rings are just horribly uncomfortable death traps. Couldn’t just say “it was cheaper”. It has to be a safety issue, because of course it is.
Mine was for comfort. I think my fingers get fatter through the day. Mornings were comfortable with my original ring, but by the end of the day it was strangling my finger. Drove me nuts. The silicon rings are the best. Totally comfortable at all times.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #282
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Like, yeah, comfort and safety. Because metal rings are just horribly uncomfortable death traps. Couldn’t just say “it was cheaper”. It has to be a safety issue, because of course it is.
Death? No. Losing a finger? Yes. It's not THAT farfetched my friend. Tradesmen friend who I've known for a long while wears his ring around his neck on a good but easily breakable chain. Degloving is nasty stuff.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #283
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our work site doesn’t allow metal rings of any kind to be worn on shift. It bugs some of the engineers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #284
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Sure, in specific situations. That’s kind of my point that I should have made more clear. When someone finds something that works for them for very specific reasons, and suddenly needs to try to convince everyone to do the same.

I wear rings. They are very comfortable. My safety increase with silicon is probably 0.000000000000001%. Not worth looking stupid.

Like people who go gluten free and say “totally fixed my stomach issues, you should do it!” but... I don’t have stomach issues and I like bread...
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #285
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...ater-park/amp/

This is probably a case where no one would thing of it happening.

Though they did go to Edmonton and therefore are no good.

So based on the above incident I suspect you have 6-10 to many zeros in your risk factor.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #286
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its always funny when people make some remotely unconventional choice “Metal ring? No, I wear silicon!” and make up the most random advantages to justify their own life choices.

I was just given one of these. I can’t really wear jewellery because the metals provoke a skin reaction. Silicone takes care of that, so here we are.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #287
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...ater-park/amp/

This is probably a case where no one would thing of it happening.

Though they did go to Edmonton and therefore are no good.

So based on the above incident I suspect you have 6-10 to many zeros in your risk factor.
Yeah, one incident really moves the needle out of the hundreds of thousands of not millions of people who wear rings every single day.

I might add a couple zeros, just because.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #288
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

PepsiFree really embracing the come at me bro theme.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #289
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, one incident really moves the needle out of the hundreds of thousands of not millions of people who wear rings every single day.

I might add a couple zeros, just because.
I’m going to assume you’ve been at least once to the Edmonton water park. Your. 16 zeros imply a change in risk of 1 in 10 quintillion. So since I can guarantee that 1 billion people have not been to the Edmonton water park you are out by at least 6 zeros.

Here’s Jimmy Fallon almost losing his finger on his counter.
https://globalnews.ca/news/2109175/j...-him-a-finger/

Are you ever near counters?

Implying that your risk is 1 in 10 Quintillion is just wrong. Including work place injuries 150,000 or so deglovings occur in the US per year so that’s 1/2000. Now most of those are probably work related but let’s say .1% aren’t. That would still be a 1 in 2 million chance of degloving each year.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #290
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, in specific situations. That’s kind of my point that I should have made more clear. When someone finds something that works for them for very specific reasons, and suddenly needs to try to convince everyone to do the same.

I wear rings. They are very comfortable. My safety increase with silicon is probably 0.000000000000001%. Not worth looking stupid.

Like people who go gluten free and say “totally fixed my stomach issues, you should do it!” but... I don’t have stomach issues and I like bread...
100% agree. Gluten free rings are stupid.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #291
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually enjoy wearing my wedding ring. Its nothing super fancy but its a great piece of evidence when I have to break the bad news to all the ladies that I'm already taken.

And if they see it in advance it can avoid a lot of awkward conversations and dashing of hopes and dreams.

Sorry ladies. Thems the breaks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #292
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I actually enjoy wearing my wedding ring. Its nothing super fancy but its a great piece of evidence when I have to break the bad news to all the ladies that I'm already taken.

And if they see it in advance it can avoid a lot of awkward conversations and dashing of hopes and dreams.

What about all those stories of wedding rings attracting more attention?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #293
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Silly justification is kind of how the Canadian Oil industry was destroyed by the US. "it's a matter of the environment and our future as a species!!!" was basically the rhetoric that brought us down, funded by US Oil companies.

You stupid Albertans can't make it political because it's about the environment, you do everything to shut it down or you're a stupid conservative that doesn't care about the future!!!

*Except when it comes to the American Oil industry mostly based in California where the majority of activists reside

EDIT: In this vain my "come at bro" is - we're pretty much the stupidest country on the planet economically and will start to see the disastrous effects this coming decade.

Last edited by jayswin; 12-07-2019 at 11:26 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #294
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

If your ring was made on a rainbow loom, you would be more comfortable and not risk losing your finger.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #295
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not like I'm an activist for it or somethng. I'll just have guys go "Hey, what is that ring made out of?" -- then I tell them and show them, and the conversation carries on from there like "Oh yeah, do you like that? Hmm, interesting, yes I find mine uncomfortable sometimes..." etc. etc.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #296
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been fond of rings. Never really found any I liked the look of, and I have really thick fingers, so they tend to be uncomfortable at the best of times. For a 'wedding ring', my wife gave me a Celtic Torc-like bracelet that I wear. Satisfies work safety requirements (at the time, I worked in textiles) and isn't a ring, so I'll actually wear it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #297
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You know what’s awesome? The Lord of the Rings. What a book and a movie trilogy. Scouring of the Shire is one of the best endings to a book ever. And those extended editions where Merry and Pip get stoned and then drink psychedelic water that makes them taller, so awesome.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
What about all those stories of wedding rings attracting more attention?
It is widely known that the wedding ring can operate as an aphrodisiac to some women as they're an indicator that someone is a proven and desirable partner.

Thats just one of life's many mysteries.

It might be dispelled by the 'Rubber Ring' as a trinket acquired from a Cracker-Jack box isnt really an indicator of anything other than an affinity for sweet and salty snacks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #299
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t even know where my wedding ring is, my wife put it somewhere. I haven’t worn it for about 15 years
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #300
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
1) I reject your assertion that your standing as the founding member of the University of Calgary Sandwich Appreciation club, makes you an authority on the subject. As a historian who has extensively researched the history of food culture, I believe that I am adequately educated in the subject to state that here needs to be an amendment to that law presented as evidence that burritos, and other sandwich like substances are in fact not in the sandwich class.

I suggest that the ruling in principle should be upheld, with the amendment that the differences within the sandwich class are broad enough that in some instances there is adequate distinction between sandwich orientation and composition for them to be titled, and marketed as separate entities under the same class.

2) Historically, there has been several changes to the classification system of animals based on new compelling evidence. Tradition is not a justification for bad science! Categorizing burritos, hot dogs, pizza or even more radically the breaded chicken wing as anything different as a class is the equivalent of justifying animal classes should be based on how many arms, or legs a species has, or whether or not it has the full overage of fur, or has a tail, or lives under water. These aesthetic differences can not dissuade us from the similarities within the class. Just as all mammals breath oxygen and are derived from the same ancestor, all sandwiches are easily held and eaten by hand. Although the wrapping and the substance may vary from sandwich to sandwich they serve the same function, to conglomerate several ingredients into a single food class and can be held and eaten with the hand.
You're not even worth arguing with.
You're basically the flat-eather of sandwiches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post: