Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #1521
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Next new Star Wars in august.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 AM   #1522
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I am pretty mixed on the finale. Like in many ways it did not make me feel better about how the season went. Many decently illogical choices that you guys have already been touching on. However, it gave the show a clean slate. And I think that is for the best. Many were speculating about the New Republic showing up, Ashoka, Thrawn, the spy etc. But in the end, we wrapped up the whole story. And set up the next season to get back to the gunslinger western that the show started as.

And to me, that's a great thing. Because when you think about season 1 and all the enthusiasm it generated, that is what the show was. Sure there was the overarching story of Grogu, but each week was just a side quest. That is what worked for this show and started to remove some of the sour taste from fans mouths after the ST went so sideways.

I'm a decently casual fan. I just stick to the movies and D+ shows. I see all you guys talk about animated shows and comics, but don't have any interest in them. So what I loved about season 1 was it gave us entirely new characters in the GFFA. But then we got pulled into the fan service stuff and tieing it into the greater events. We had to have the Luke cameo, the Boba Fett tie in, the Ashoka tie in, etc. While an immense amoun of world building has went on even through these tie ins, I think the show can be even stronger if it gets back out on its own. And I hope that is the reasoning for why they just kept it simple in the finale.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #1523
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya, kind of a disappointing season overall. Six wasted episodes and two action-filled spectacles to end it. There were some cool moments but don't look at anything too critically I guess.

Also, I like how the Mandalorians ran out of fuel for their jetpacks chasing a bird dragon thing, but flying through the atmosphere and all over Mandalore seemed to be no problem.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-20-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:55 AM   #1524
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Ya, kind of a disappointing season overall. Six wasted episodes and two action-filled spectacles to end it. There were some cool moments but don't look at anything too critically I guess.

Also, I like how the Mandalorians ran out of fuel for their jetpacks chasing a bird dragon thing, but flying through the atmosphere and all over Mandalore seemed to be no problem.

ha ha! i thought the same thing
Old 04-20-2023, 10:21 AM   #1525
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flying to space with a jetpack is an absurd consideration to begin with, even for Star Wars.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #1526
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree with a lot that has already been said. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. It was as Cap said, safe.

I feel like this finale could have just been wrapped up with 20 more minutes tacked on to the episode before. Didn't really feel like there was a build up or anything, just literally picked right where that episode left. I think big gun guys death (and that is a reference to toy collectors for those who don't know, as he was dubbed when the merch dropped before the show and I am using it because I am to lazy to look up his actual name) was the most climatic part of either episode lol.

The whole dark saber arc seems very unsatisfying to me. This has been a major plot point and peace of the Mandalore history through a few different mediums, right down to the table top war game I play Star Wars Legion.

Spoiler!

And then just in a second it's destroyed, and the hilt most likely burnt up in the explosion?

They didn't even have to take it to the firey slopes of Mount Doom.

It did seem to me like Filoni wants it gone and out of the Mandalore story line.. there must be a reason for that moving forward, or maybe one I already missed.

Either way the season itself was great, I really enjoyed it. It honestly felt like they wrapped things up to set up a Mandalorian video game. Travelling the galaxy from his home base to complete quests.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:21 PM   #1527
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confused about the naming of "Din Grogu". Bo Katan Kryze and Paz Vizla are of House Kryze and House Vizla respectively and the family name came last for them. So Mando is Din Djarin, would that not have made Djarin the family name then and Grogu should have been Grogu Djarin?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 03:28 PM   #1528
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Flying to space with a jetpack is an absurd consideration to begin with, even for Star Wars.
Tbh yes.

Flying in from the upper atmosphere I'll let go since they're well armoured with beskar, but a tiny jetpack taking you from a point on the planet which allegedly has that crazy thick atmosphere obstructing transmissions to a ship in orbit is pretty nutty.

This when a few episodes ago they were running out of fuel traversing a canyon.

The result should've been like when Tony tried it in the first Avengers.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #1529
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought it was a decent episode. The ending did feel like a wrap up of a series with Din and Grogu sitting at peace at the cabin.

In the end Gideon's plan was utterly bizarre. I'm gonna clone myself with the Force, which goes back to Snoke and Palpatine.

But we really didn't get anything outside of an action filled episode which was cool. But to me Gideon's death felt really unsatisfying.

I guess Bo is the defacto leader of the Mandalorians without the Dark Sabre. We didn't find out who the spy was. And Grogu is super powered now.

The episode sounded . . . safe.
Too safe.

It was fun, but also hollow. The IG resurrection and darksabre stuff was rather meaningless. Nobody came into this episode hoping for a some kind off payoff or development around those two things.

Delve into the spies. Tease Thrawn. Devote more screen time to the jetpack battle. Pay off Bo and the Mythosaur.

Felt like a spectacle that mostly beat around the bush and resolved things as quickly and efficiently as possible without a hitch.

Also Grogu is already Din's adopted child, for all intents and purposes. The official creed adoption kind of came out of nowhere but also wasn't something we were even anticipating. It was probably on no one's list of top 100 things they would look forward to seeing in this finale.

Cool but utterly whelming.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-20-2023 at 03:42 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #1530
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey they've got a cabin on Nevaro,
But never fear about Grogu and Mando,
They've got lots of further adventures,
Like Moe buys an elephant,
Have you ever wondered is Pedro going commando?
Old 04-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #1531
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if that's the end or not but I just assumed next season would be Din and Grogu doing odd jobs for that fighter pilot they talked to at the end, with a bigger storyline woven through the weekly adventures.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 05:56 PM   #1532
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't know if that's the end or not but I just assumed next season would be Din and Grogu doing odd jobs for that fighter pilot they talked to at the end, with a bigger storyline woven through the weekly adventures.
I just got that it was more the end of the Moff Gideon storyline. Although I could also see him being reborn as some kind of cyborg and/or evil force user....also he had clones.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #1533
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I just got that it was more the end of the Moff Gideon storyline. Although I could also see him being reborn as some kind of cyborg and/or evil force user....also he had clones.
Maybe he is Snoke....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:08 PM   #1534
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Too safe.

It was fun, but also hollow. The IG resurrection and darksabre stuff was rather meaningless. Nobody came into this episode hoping for a some kind off payoff or development around those two things.

Delve into the spies. Tease Thrawn. Devote more screen time to the jetpack battle. Pay off Bo and the Mythosaur.

Felt like a spectacle that mostly beat around the bush and resolved things as quickly and efficiently as possible without a hitch.

Also Grogu is already Din's adopted child, for all intents and purposes. The official creed adoption kind of came out of nowhere but also wasn't something we were even anticipating. It was probably on no one's list of top 100 things they would look forward to seeing in this finale.

Cool but utterly whelming.
If I'm not mistaken, they showed the Mythosaur right when Grogu was adopted and looked at the water.

It seems like there's some sort of connection there. I'm guessing we'll see more of this.

Reminds me of Rebels where Ezra connected with animals all the time (like the space whales).
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #1535
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was fine. The battle was fairly epic even though I thought the praetorians were totally unnecessary, could have just used more of those dark troopers from last season in their place.

Really surprised that they did nothing whatsoever to tease other properties like Ahsoka, I really expected an end credits scene.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: