Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #3221
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Taking a $20K paycut to save ~$500 in property taxes is...weird.
But then it’s only an $8k cut!

I basically think of my property taxes as condo fees. But not as expensive. It keeps the place from getting ugly and cluttered and keeps the water flowing.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #3222
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Please continue telling Turek what he should do with his money.

It's his/his family he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe or anyone anything. If he wants a reduction who are you to disagree. Maybe he doesn't give a #### about art. He's subsidizing your luxuries.
Because it's a selfish and silly way to look at it. He's not subsidizing, we are. He wants to save $24 a month, seemingly for no reason other than to say we lowered taxes
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:23 PM   #3223
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
It seems a bit dramatic that you pay $800/mo, and are calling for a 2-5% reduction. What will you really do with $16-$40/mo? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that saving that amount of money is not worthwhile, I'm just saying that for a guy whose property is worth that much, what will you really do with that small amount of money? That's literally a subsidized bus pass for a senior, or a pothole filled on Main St., or an extra cop on duty on Saturday night.

I get how we've nickle and dimed ourselves into high taxes, and how we all want to pay less taxes, but seriously, municipal (and provincial) taxes are what actually gives us the lifestyle we enjoy. Roads, schools, health care... It's just such BS when guys like Farkas come along and claim that they can just stop charging us for the things we want.

Maybe you don't want those things, but most of the rest of us do. I can literally think of one time in my adult life that a tax cut made a difference. When Klein stopped charging AHC premiums. That was suddenly some extra money in my pocket. But now, 15-20 years later, where we at with that, anyway? Was that really a good decision?

I sincerely hope that Calgary notifies Farkas that we know he's full of crap, via the ballot box tomorrow. This is a pretty important election, IMO.

I honestly can't believe that Farkas can have as much support as the polls indicate. Hopefully tomorrow we'll find out he doesn't.

How has he tried to make the city a better place over his past four years as a councillor? He just doesn't seem passionate about anything other than throwing wrenches into the gears of civic government. Accusing city staff of skimming funds is just a bizarre thing to say in the last week of an election.

I can't see Farkas being an effective cheerleader for Calgary or Calgarians in or out of the city. Love or hate Nenshi, you definitely can't say he didn't care about the city. The provincial government will pretty much run rough shod over the city if Farkas wins.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #3224
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Because it's a selfish and silly way to look at it. He's not subsidizing, we are. He wants to save $24 a month, seemingly for no reason other than to say we lowered taxes
Or he doesn't care about art.

He owes you nothing.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:44 PM   #3225
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Please continue telling Turek what he should do with his money.

It's his/his family he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe or anyone anything. If he wants a reduction who are you to disagree. Maybe he doesn't give a #### about art. He's subsidizing your luxuries.
Dude, do you want to read that back to yourself? Who are we to disagree? Are you saying we're not supposed to disagree or offer a rebuttal? What a bizarre response.

To say you think the responses are too harsh is one thing, but to straight up say "who are you to disagree" is just absurd.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #3226
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He owes you nothing.
That's as silly as saying we shouldn't fund public transit because I never use it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:53 PM   #3227
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He owes you nothing.

Okay. Let’s not have a discussion then.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:01 PM   #3228
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Well my property tax is about 800 a month and I feel that it is disproportionately too much.

I feel like a lot of people don’t have enough skin in the game.
$800 / month? You live in Calgary?
So basically you are telling all of us that the tax assessment on your house is $1.3M, and you are belly aching over $35/month for civic services?

Also I'm a little confused, do property taxes pay for nurses? I thought they were provincial employees? This is an honest question, I don't know.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:46 PM   #3229
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This was left on my wife’s car at market mall today. Just so thankful that our ‘Mayor Elect’ was able to get the Stampede back for us all….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:11 AM   #3230
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
He owes you nothing.
We all owe each other, that is how our society works. This idea that a person is beholden to nothing is pernicious idiocy, held only by those who mistake the entirely artificial environment created by modern civilization for the natural state of being.

You cannot have freedom without responsibility. Only children and those with the minds of children believe otherwise. Societies have, after thousands of years, have began to shake themselves free of such blinkered, immature self-interest in favour of enlightened self-interest, and your philosophical yearnings for a new aristocracy of the financially successful are both repugnant and passé.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #3231
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Rich guy complains taxes are unfair. I am shocked by this development.
"Rich" guy who likes Sean Chu. lol
Old 10-18-2021, 07:40 AM   #3232
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

…….
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #3233
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
We all owe each other, that is how our society works. This idea that a person is beholden to nothing is pernicious idiocy, held only by those who mistake the entirely artificial environment created by modern civilization for the natural state of being.

You cannot have freedom without responsibility. Only children and those with the minds of children believe otherwise. Societies have, after thousands of years, have began to shake themselves free of such blinkered, immature self-interest in favour of enlightened self-interest, and your philosophical yearnings for a new aristocracy of the financially successful are both repugnant and passé.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
If we all owe each other are you ok living in a city where everyone pays the same amount of tax?

This is the question no one wants to answer. Everyone wants government services but want others to pay for it.

Anyways, I have said what I need to say.

We can all agree to disagree. Thanks for the chat guys!
Old 10-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #3234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we all owe each other are you ok living in a city where everyone pays the same amount of tax?

This is the question no one wants to answer. Everyone wants government services but want others to pay for it.

Are you suggesting a 250k condo owner should pay the same tax as a 5 million house?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #3235
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Fyp

Anyone who lives in a $1.5 million dollar home and is whining about cutting less than fifty dollars a month from their property tax is not rich. Sounds house poor to me. Could probably use some financial literacy help too.
Thanks for calling me ignorant and uneducated.

Really contributing here.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #3236
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The simplest way to look at property taxes is the same way you look at insurance: it exists, and is going to be more expensive if your house is more expensive, so it’s part of the cost of ownership.

Changes of less than 10% up or down are completely inconsequential to me, so long as city services are properly funded and I can be proud of the city I live in.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #3237
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are advocating for a flat tax rate I assume?

If so does that just include residential or business and industry as well for property taxes? I.r. absolutely everyone pays the same x%?

Also the province takes a good chunk of that I believe, so you will need to adjust for that as well?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #3238
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We do pay the same amount of property tax. X% of the value of the property
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #3239
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, back to thread topic, here's hoping Sean chu loses.

And hopeful my councillor, magliocca, as well.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #3240
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

What they should actually do is remove the provincial portion and have the province pull it on their own (through income tax or PST or whatever).

If only to make clear to people who is fully responsible for their property tax.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat