Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 11:09 AM   #81
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inb4 Flames finish 9th and 10 and 11 win the lottery
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #82
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Huberdeau's production more or less the same as last year, except he's -29 now. It's all downhill from here on
I am not disputing that he needs to be better, but -21 of that -29 comes while having the goalie pulled or from being scored on during a PP.

He also has the second worst PDO of his entire career this season with only his rookie year being worse.

This guy needs more talent to work with. It's that simple. He has an elite, if not unique skillset, and while that may make him a "complementary" piece, I have no doubts he can still be an effective and productive player with more talent injected into the lineup. To highlight that.. look at his production on the PP with Kuzmenko in the lineup vs out of the lineup.

With Kuzmenko - 13 PP in 28 games.
Without Kuzmenko - 6 PP points in 52 games.

I'd also like to point out that Ryan Huska despite having very clear signs of it not working, elected to have Mikael Backlund play as Huberdeau's most common center at five on five this year. In 304 minutes of icetime together Jonathan Huberdeau produced just 4 points (0.79 pts/60). That's a bad coaching decision.

Personally, I think the odds of it "going downhill" from here are almost non existent.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #83
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd guess his contract doesn't interfere with what they're doing in any of years 2-6 on the contract.

Last two maybe.

And personally I look at differentials. How much of Huberdeau's contract is bad?

Last year arguably 40%.
This year I think closer to 25%.

He may be a problem in years 7 and 8 but at least that's easier to buy out or move near the end of the term.
The common narrative is that mang is overpaid at 5.8. I wouldn't say Huberdeau is really much more of an impactful player then Mang.

What does Huberdeau get on the open market if he was eligible? Other similarly productive wingers are making 4-6 million. Based in this and the mang comparison I feel like I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying 6 million.

So yeah I'd say about 40% of his contract in both years has been bad money.

But i agree with the rest of the premise. If the flames are doing a fairly comprehensive re-whatever then it's not going to matter for the next 5 or so years anyways.

Last edited by traptor; 04-17-2024 at 12:28 PM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to traptor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd guess his contract doesn't interfere with what they're doing in any of years 2-6 on the contract.

Last two maybe.

And personally I look at differentials. How much of Huberdeau's contract is bad?

Last year arguably 40%.
This year I think closer to 25%.

He may be a problem in years 7 and 8 but at least that's easier to buy out or move near the end of the term.
You have to wonder if there will be another round of compliance buyouts at 2026 when they do the next CBA. I imagine over half the league by then will be saddled with some really bad contracts they would like to get off the books.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:08 PM   #85
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Inb4 Flames finish 9th and 10 and 11 win the lottery
How crazy is this...

We've played 6 games since being mathematically eliminated.

- If our record was 1-5 and we lost to ARI, we'd have 75pts and picking 5th right now. ARI would have 77pts and picking 7th.
- If our record was 2-4 and we lost to ARI, we'd be tied with ARI at 77pts right now. We'd lose the tiebreaker, so they'd be picking 6th and we'd be picking 7th.
- That third win (against ARI) is the one that has us picking 9th right now, while helping ARI stay at 75pts and hold onto the 5th pick.

- ARI has a game left -- if they get one or more points, they'll finish with the 6th pick (because they lose the tiebreaker to MTL). Zero points lets them keep the 5th pick.
- CGY and SEA have one game left. CGY needs SEA to wind up with one more point than them in order to pick 8th. If CGY gets the same or more points than SEA in the last game, CGY picks 9th.

If CGY, ARI and SEA all lose their last game, it will mean the reason ARI is picking 5th and we're picking 9th instead of them picking 6th and us picking 7th is because we roared back from a 5-3 defecit with 3 unanswered goals to beat ARI 6-5 and pick up our 3rd post elimination win.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-17-2024 at 12:14 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:39 PM   #86
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
If CGY, ARI and SEA all lose their last game, it will mean the reason ARI is picking 5th and we're picking 9th instead of them picking 6th and us picking 7th is because we roared back from a 5-3 defecit with 3 unanswered goals to beat ARI 6-5 and pick up our 3rd post elimination win.
In other words, in a game between two tanking teams, the worse team, which has years and years of experience at tanking, succeeded in out-tanking the team that is new at this and still has some decent talent on the roster.

Explain to me why this is the fault of the team that failed to lose.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:14 PM   #87
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't bother. Instead, revel in all the confidence that game will give players over the summer.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:15 PM   #88
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
No.

It's just an observation, big guy. There's nothing here you need to come to the defence of.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 04:20 PM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In other words, in a game between two tanking teams, the worse team, which has years and years of experience at tanking, succeeded in out-tanking the team that is new at this and still has some decent talent on the roster.

Calgary also had to drop further since the TDL. The other teams had a head start and just had to maintain.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 05:40 PM   #90
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
tldr;
Jay Random: Keeper of the PGT

Thou shall not comment.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 05:56 PM   #91
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Good thing tickets cost me 600 bucks, made sure I was in the Canucks end for 2 periods for that stinker. Least it wasn't a shut out on my Birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In Good Time View Post
The serious consideration is, how many will pay that, to watch that over the next 7 to 10 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I’m as big a fan as anyone, but I gave up tix for next year. It’s a lot of money to watch that live.
He was talking about Vancouver where the game was.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:58 PM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I wasn't replying to him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:59 PM   #93
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames had lost every game they played this season, they would still lose the lottery and drop to the 3rd overall pick.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:27 PM   #94
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I was wondering about Calgary
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #95
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Jay Random: Keeper of the PGT

Thou shall not comment.
Go ahead, comment all you want. I'll comment all I want. If you make foolish comments, I shall comment on their foolishness. That's how this works.

If you want to be immune to criticism, go find a place that is populated by your personal friends, who love you and care about you and will pretend that everything you say is clever.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:45 PM   #96
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Go ahead, comment all you want. I'll comment all I want. If you make foolish comments, I shall comment on their foolishness. That's how this works.

If you want to be immune to criticism, go find a place that is populated by your personal friends, who love you and care about you and will pretend that everything you say is clever.
Quote:
Because then it would give a certain kind of fans a lifetime of things to complain about?

Just think of it. For 10 years they can complain because the team sucks (or because it doesn't suck enough, or both), and for 10 years after that they can complain that the team is never going to win anything because it didn't do what they told it to do back when it sucked. And then they can hang themselves, because the human frame is not built to take that kind of abuse for longer than 20 years.
No one said "I want to be immune to criticism". Why don't you stop suggesting people hang themselves and go for a walk or something. Sickening.

Last edited by butterfly; 04-17-2024 at 07:57 PM.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:18 PM   #97
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Facts are facts and if you think facts are foolish well then that’s dumb. Stop internally tacking on your own extra intention to people’s posts and then responding like that intention was in the post.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:24 PM   #98
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are many who consider themselves clever by doing things that make themselves redundant and tiresome
It’s funny and sad at the same time
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 PM   #99
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
No one said "I want to be immune to criticism". Why don't you stop suggesting people hang themselves and go for a walk or something. Sickening.
One poster claimed I was denying him the right to post because I criticize him.

And I am not suggesting people hang themselves. I'm just pointing out that a lifetime of such pointless negativity is liable to lead in that direction.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM   #100
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Facts are facts and if you think facts are foolish well then that’s dumb.
You're the one who thinks professional athletes have the ability to just stop performing and throw games for the benefit of people they will likely never even meet. That's a pretty weird idea of ‘facts’ you have.

Quote:
Stop internally tacking on your own extra intention to people’s posts and then responding like that intention was in the post.
You're one of those who get angry when the Flames win, and blame them for not trying to lose. That's all about your intentions, not mine.