Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #4681
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Flying in from HNL-YVR-YEG on a very tight connection at YVR. All flights with AC.

Does anyone know if I need to pick up my checked luggage after customs before proceeding to YEG? Don't think I'd make the connection if I have to wait for bags.
No one knows, including the airline staff. In recent years, I've been told I need to pick up my bags when I didn't and that I don't need to when I did. Sometimes one person says one thing and the other says something else, regarding the same flight.

Returning from Portugal last summer, through Toronto, I needed to go through customs there but did NOT need to pick up my bags.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 11:31 AM   #4682
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I can't recall the site but with a little sleuthing online you can find out the seat layouts of the specific flights you're thinking of taking. Then you can do seat selection. This can help you find "better" seats that sometimes come with more space versus paying extra. For example at the rear bulkhead area where the seating goes from 3 across to 2 across often the 2-seats have wider and longer space. As a tall person who has done international flights this has been super useful.

I don't know for sure but try Google Flights to explore your flight options. It's great for finding lower cost options.
That would be SeatGuru:

https://www.seatguru.com/browseairli...seairlines.php
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #4683
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9758088/w...jCowceM2pFanMY

WestJet will shut down Swoop, ending budget airline offering
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #4684
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

What do people do these days about their phone while travelling to the US? I haven't been travelling since pre-Covid, and I used to be able to pay my provider about $40 for a 30-day roaming "pass" that included a few hundred text messages, some talk time, and some data. I hadn't really been paying attention to the changes the big telcos' made to their US roaming passes, but now they're ~$13 per day? WTF?! I'm going to be down there for a couple weeks! That's almost $200!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:36 PM   #4685
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
What do people do these days about their phone while travelling to the US? I haven't been travelling since pre-Covid, and I used to be able to pay my provider about $40 for a 30-day roaming "pass" that included a few hundred text messages, some talk time, and some data. I hadn't really been paying attention to the changes the big telcos' made to their US roaming passes, but now they're ~$13 per day? WTF?! I'm going to be down there for a couple weeks! That's almost $200!
Yes on Telus it was 14 bucks a day to a cap of 280 or something. No other package offered. 140 bucks for two weeks in hawaii
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #4686
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I switched to a Canada/US plan as we go 6 to 10 times a year but even if you once or twice for a week or two I think it makes sense financially. When I picking a new phone plan it was $7 or $8 more per month for Canada/US.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:19 PM   #4687
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about an esim?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #4688
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
SeatGuru hasn't been updated in years and is frozen in time. Use Aerolopa.

https://www.aerolopa.com/
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 05:34 PM   #4689
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
SeatGuru hasn't been updated in years and is frozen in time. Use Aerolopa.

https://www.aerolopa.com/
It doesn't appear to have any useful information, just the seat map, which I can get from the airline directly.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:39 PM   #4690
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It doesn't appear to have any useful information, just the seat map, which I can get from the airline directly.
What information do you want? They provide actual maps of the cabins with dimensions where available, not simply a diagram.

https://www.aerolopa.com/dl-764
Old 06-10-2023, 05:46 PM   #4691
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want actual seat dimensions, which none of the ones I checked have...
Old 06-10-2023, 05:56 PM   #4692
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I want actual seat dimensions, which none of the ones I checked have...
SeatGuru has been dead for years. Keep relying on it if you like, but they announced themselves they're not supporting it anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeatGuru

As someone who travels, it helps me if people still depend on it, but I'd rather help CP users out.

https://viewfromthewing.com/a-better...ats-on-planes/
Old 06-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #4693
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Flying in from HNL-YVR-YEG on a very tight connection at YVR. All flights with AC.

Does anyone know if I need to pick up my checked luggage after customs before proceeding to YEG? Don't think I'd make the connection if I have to wait for bags.
Flying in from a US Destination, you shouldn't have to pick up your bags.

Your boarding pass will likely say ITD OSS on a corner somewhere, if you get that, then you won't have to pick up your bags or re-clear security in Vancouver.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #4694
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
SeatGuru has been dead for years. Keep relying on it if you like, but they announced themselves they're not supporting it anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeatGuru

As someone who travels, it helps me if people still depend on it, but I'd rather help CP users out.

https://viewfromthewing.com/a-better...ats-on-planes/
That's fine, and it's good to know that SeatGuru is dead/dying, but the site you recommended is currently pretty useless for information on WestJet (and it looks like Air Canada too), which is what a large percentage of people using this forum are going to be flying.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:41 PM   #4695
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine, and it's good to know that SeatGuru is dead/dying, but the site you recommended is currently pretty useless for information on WestJet (and it looks like Air Canada too), which is what a large percentage of people using this forum are going to be flying.

What kind of information are you looking to know exactly?
Old 06-10-2023, 06:57 PM   #4696
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
What kind of information are you looking to know exactly?
Seat width and pitch mostly. I'm fat and tall. I like to know if I will actually fit in the seat I've purchased.

It's nice to see warnings for things like if a seat doesn't have moveable armrests, or limited recline, lack of under seat or over head storage. Also, what does it have for in-flight entertainment and in-seat power.

SeatGuru was good for those things and it's disappointing if that information will be going away. The Aerolopa site doesn't have anything other than a drawing of the seat map, which I can get from the airline's website.
Old 06-10-2023, 07:03 PM   #4697
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still use seatguru anyways. May not be current but find the aircraft type/model for your particular flight and compare the number of rows to the airline booking seat map. If the amount of rows match there likely wouldn’t be high odds of changes in legroom/pitch. Probably still good success in predicting oddities like a no window seat, reduced legroom for entertainment equip, lack of recline, etc. Airlines haven’t completely changed all of their fleet in one go.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 06-10-2023 at 07:07 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #4698
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seat width and pitch mostly. I'm fat and tall. I like to know if I will actually fit in the seat I've purchased.

It's nice to see warnings for things like if a seat doesn't have moveable armrests, or limited recline, lack of under seat or over head storage. Also, what does it have for in-flight entertainment and in-seat power.

SeatGuru was good for those things and it's disappointing if that information will be going away. The Aerolopa site doesn't have anything other than a drawing of the seat map, which I can get from the airline's website.

You can get seat pitch and width information on Air Canada's website for them, including any IFE and power outlet options.

WestJet also has all the info on their site, but in separate locations so you'll have to dig. Only seat width they don't provide is economy and that's 17"
Old 06-11-2023, 04:33 PM   #4699
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

FlyerTalk is a very useful forum filled with frequent flyers who are happy to help out with advice for specific aircraft. There are WS and AC specific forums there, among others.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airl...-programs-374/
Old 06-12-2023, 07:38 AM   #4700
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, had no idea SeatGuru was no longer getting updated. My avgeek cred just took a hit.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote