Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #3821
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Depends on the person and technology, I guess. I use a GPS watch and it adds zero time to look at it while prepping for the shot.

Like the above stated, if anything it cuts lots of time off my rounds as I'm sure of the distance, compared to before when I would hmm and haw trying to guesstimate how far I was.
With a GPS watch option it might be pretty good. I was thinking more about the people who use a phone app and GPS. It seems to really slow things doing from my experience. I think it is because with some of the apps it shows yardage to various things like sand traps or water hazards, the front and back of the green and some people sit there looking at the yardages as if they were playing on the tour.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #3822
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It痴 been a while but I thought the golf Canada app was cumbersome? I use it to track my handy but is that app ok to use while you play?
I hate having my phone with me, so admittedly I致e only used it a couple times during a round. I do enter my scores hold by hole though, in part because I like the tracking of the various pars. (The other reason is that if I take too high of a score it値l adjust it for me )
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #3823
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
With a GPS watch option it might be pretty good. I was thinking more about the people who use a phone app and GPS. It seems to really slow things doing from my experience. I think it is because with some of the apps it shows yardage to various things like sand traps or water hazards, the front and back of the green and some people sit there looking at the yardages as if they were playing on the tour.
Oh for sure, then I agree with you. Like I said, I tried a couple of those apps (and individual course apps like play golf Calgary) and I found myself buried in it and always holding my phone which really took away from my round.

Felt really unnatural and took me out of "feeling" the course if that makes sense? The watch doesn't take me out at all and is a perfect companion during a round, where as anything on may phone feels cumbersome and always "there".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #3824
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I have a Garmin GPS watch and like it a lot. Tracks my scores, GIR, averages with each club, and provides accurate GPS info for every course. I too don’t like having my phone out at all when I golf so it is super convenient for me
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #3825
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve been using GolfLogix app for GPS, shot tracking and scorecard, I’m liking the app. I typically walk and carry my phone in my back pocket.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:16 AM   #3826
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't come up on the app store.
Odd, I know people on both platforms with it. Foursum not foursome
http://foursum.com/
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #3827
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use a Garmin GPS watch too, have been for probably a decade now. To me its a game changer, always have the yardage no matter where I am on the course.

You get an instant look at any hazards, and I love seeing the front, middle, and back of the green distances. Thats where its a real game changer, some greens are 20-30 yards deep, thats 2 club lengths pretty much.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #3828
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I use a Garmin GPS watch too, have been for probably a decade now. To me its a game changer, always have the yardage no matter where I am on the course.

You get an instant look at any hazards, and I love seeing the front, middle, and back of the green distances. Thats where its a real game changer, some greens are 20-30 yards deep, thats 2 club lengths pretty much.

I use a range finder. I find my buddies with the watches still struggle with getting close to the pin. Do you find that?

I'm not opposed to safe golf though, so getting on the green in itself is great!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #3829
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I use a range finder. I find my buddies with the watches still struggle with getting close to the pin. Do you find that?

I'm not opposed to safe golf though, so getting on the green in itself is great!
Nope its really pretty good, now maybe some courses had changes to their layout etc that may cause issues if it hasn't been updated. Having said that, a range finder will give exact distance to the pin, where my watch will tell me the front, middle, and back. You can place a pin approximately where you think it is but I dont bother. If the pin is at the back I try to hit it there, etc.

The only time I really struggled with it was when I somehow had it in meters instead of yards, that was a confusing 4 or 5 holes.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #3830
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any courses in decent shape currently? Going to book a round for saturday next weekend somewhere.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #3831
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the Golf Pad app and am pretty happy with it.
Mainly use it because I already had a Samsung Gear s3 watch and it's one of the only golf apps I could find for that.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #3832
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Any courses in decent shape currently? Going to book a round for saturday next weekend somewhere.
Inglewood is in great shape - getting a tee time may be difficult
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #3833
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Played Sirocco on Friday and it is on pretty good shape
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #3834
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
I still struggle getting close to the pin, but it has nothing to do with the watch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 05:47 PM   #3835
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I played my first round of the year at Strathmore on Friday. The greens are in great early April shape.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:42 PM   #3836
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I still struggle getting close to the pin, but it has nothing to do with the watch
Yeah, Weitz is probably a way better golfer than me. I can see where the flag is on the green, if I could aim for it I would. It has nothing to do with not seeing where it is, lol. I'm at the point where as long as I can see back/front/middle and left/right with my eyes, which I can, I'm not getting a better shot with a rangefinder, lol.

I can aim for "kind of right front" or "kind of back left" and that's it. The watch is fine for that.

edit: That's as a high 80's to mid 90's golfer. I'm sure the game changes when you start getting better. Right now it's "I'm 150 yards out, hopefully I can hit the green and two putt for par".

Last edited by jayswin; 04-11-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #3837
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Weitz is probably a way better golfer than me. I can see where the flag is on the green, if I could aim for it I would. It has nothing to do with not seeing where it is, lol. I'm at the point where as long as I can see back/front/middle and left/right with my eyes, which I can, I'm not getting a better shot with a rangefinder, lol.

I can aim for "kind of right front" or "kind of back left" and that's it. The watch is fine for that.
Haha I知 not that great of a golfer, but I have really bad depth perception. I値l constantly think something is 150 yards away when I知 like 100 or 110. Makes club selection hard haha.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:49 PM   #3838
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Haha I知 not that great of a golfer, but I have really bad depth perception. I値l constantly think something is 150 yards away when I知 like 100 or 110. Makes club selection hard haha.
Oh okay. I have really great depth perception, but can't aim for anything more than "the green" from 140-190 yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #3839
jayswin

Exp:

In the 50-110 range I can attempt to pick a spot and about 40% of the time I'll get close to what I was aiming for. My putting is my strength though, so I tend to bias towards "get it on the green on the second shot and two putt for par", and if it's close enough for a birdie try that's a bonus.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-11-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #3840
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played 9 today at Boulder creek/the track in Langdon with the wife today.

First chance to battle test the new clubs. It was a nice date afternoon.

The new clubs are nice, but will take some time to get used to.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow