Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #661
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah you guys are nuts. You wouldn't pay $20 or $25 for a donair. B-b-b-but meat and good ingredients aren't cheap!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #662
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Nah you guys are nuts. You wouldn't pay $20 or $25 for a donair. B-b-b-but meat and good ingredients aren't cheap!
A donair feeds one person. A pizza could feed 2-3 people.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #663
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
A donair is like $8.00 and feeds one person. A quality pizza feeds four. Some people just want to fill the hole on the cheap, which is cool, but others enjoy good food.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #664
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I googled Cal City Pizza. The first photo is like 30% crust. Gimme a $30 Pow pizza where it goes right to the edge.

But I don’t have a family so I don’t need to worry about saving as much.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #665
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Calcity pizza actual has really good reviews. Looks like the cost for a large pizza with meat is $16-19, not $12 though. They have a 12'' medium two topping pizza for $12.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #666
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I googled Cal City Pizza. The first photo is like 30% crust. Gimme a $30 Pow pizza where it goes right to the edge.

But I don’t have a family so I don’t need to worry about saving as much.
I googled Pow Pizza and it looks like it's about 80% crust, just vertically. Paying a lot of money for mostly bread there. The only place I'll spend that much on a single pizza is Paul's Pizza and you get like an inch of straight toppings there.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 05-24-2020 at 11:11 AM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #667
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I googled Pow Pizza and it looks like it's about 80% crust, just vertically. Paying a lot of money for mostly bread there. The only place I'll spend that much on a single pizza is Paul's Pizza and you get like an inch of straight toppings there.
That’s my point. Some would like a pizza with an inch of deli meat, others prefer quality ingredients and are willing to pay more. It doesn’t make them nuts lol. Paul’s caters to those who want 100 menu items cheap, fast, and plentiful.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #668
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, people really internalizing their choice in pizza places.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #669
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I’ll never judge someone for the type of pizza they like, I prefer the pizzas that tend to be more expensive, but I’m also at a point where I am lucky enough to be able to spend for that extra quality without thinking twice about it really. If someone prefers a cheaper pizza that’s all good too.

I’ve never had Paul’s Pizza or Cal City Pizza, so I’ll add those to my list to try
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #670
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I noticed this week that 4th Spot is open for takeout, had a pizza from there on Wednesday I believe. As good as always, I live close by so I take advantage of their Monday night pizza specials pretty often and I was definitely missing it over the last couple of months.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #671
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wow, people really internalizing their choice in pizza places.
It's pretty interesting actually.

Personally I think different types of pizza fill different roles. Sometimes I want greasy, sometimes this crust, some times fast food, sometimes I want an expensive pizza with savory toppings. The same can be said for foods like burgers, chicken, etc.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #672
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

People pay $10-$12 for a fast food burger combo these days. A top notch pizza feeds 3 people for $30, it's actually a pretty good deal from that perspective. Life is too short for crappy cardboard pizza.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #673
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I’ll never judge someone for the type of pizza they like, I prefer the pizzas that tend to be more expensive, but I’m also at a point where I am lucky enough to be able to spend for that extra quality without thinking twice about it really. If someone prefers a cheaper pizza that’s all good too.

I’ve never had Paul’s Pizza or Cal City Pizza, so I’ll add those to my list to try

Yeah, I'm the opposite of OutoftheCube, but also don't have the budget to just spend $25-$30 on one pizza regularly. My decision was to just order less pizza and make it count when I do.

No more $10-$15 pizzas that aren't very good. I'll pay the $20-$25 for excellent pizza with quality ingredients, just less often than I used to get pizza.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #674
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
When I say 30% crust I'm talking about the area. There's at least an inch of uncovered crust on the edge. You're getting a 10-inch pizza's worth of toppings on a 12-inch crust. I don't think it's the value you think it is. It's probably delicious but it could be better.

Spoiler!

Detroit-style pizza has a thick crust but it's delicious. Look at the crispy cheese on the edge because of the pan they use. Most people only need a couple of pieces (to be fair, I need more like 4) to fill them up so I'd say it's well worth $30.

Spoiler!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #675
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/life/food/...-comfort-food/

Nice article in the Herald on some local pizza places, biggest news (news to me at least) in there is that Bow Tie is opening a third location next month in Sage Hill.
This is fantastic news. I’m in Kincora and have to drive to Centre st / McKnight when I want Bow Tie, which is pretty much every time I want pizza. It’s so good.

You just made my day, thank you.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #676
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
This is fantastic news. I’m in Kincora and have to drive to Centre st / McKnight when I want Bow Tie, which is pretty much every time I want pizza. It’s so good.

You just made my day, thank you.
Ya, I live really close to the original location in Thorncliffe so I’m pretty spoiled. The guys that run the place are so friendly and personable, I’m so happy for them that they’ve done as well as they have! Also happy that more people are now going to be exposed to their delicious pizza I’m the NW
Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #677
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I'm the opposite of OutoftheCube, but also don't have the budget to just spend $25-$30 on one pizza regularly. My decision was to just order less pizza and make it count when I do.

No more $10-$15 pizzas that aren't very good. I'll pay the $20-$25 for excellent pizza with quality ingredients, just less often than I used to get pizza.
Ya, I’m with you... used to have pizza wayyyyy more often.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #678
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

My motto in life is "Life is too short to drink cheap beer".

The same applies to pizza.

I will make exceptions for Domino's from time to time as some of their thin crust stuff is decent and they have deals only mega chains can afford to offer.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #679
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried Bowtie for the first time. Had the Mother of Dragons. The sweeter sauce I think works for that pizza as you there is some heat. Have not tried any of their classic type pizzas, but would go back just for that one.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #680
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Got a couple of pies ordered from Noble Pie for Friday. They do a limited number each week and open up reservations at noon on Wednesdays, has been selling out every week it seems.

Looking forward to their NY style pizza, haven't had it since they first started up as Eighty-Eight got to be such a zoo to try to get into when there was pizza.

Huh.

I tried at 12:00 today. It was churning, I refreshed, and it was sold out
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote