Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #2461
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God darn it, forgot to put a thermal regulator in my crop room, so all my crops died and my people starved before I could fix it

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #2462
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it have a plot? My nostalgia gaming trip has me wondering if anyone ever made a modernized version of Escape Velocity Nova.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #2463
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It kind of does, its pretty sandboxy. But the idea is your searching for a world named Eden, and there's clearly a hostile race and pirates taking down ships. But the extent of the story is a bit of detective work when your finding data pads.

Right now, I'm more concerned with my survival, I'm not even armed yet

Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #2464
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Ocarina of Time Randomizer has consumed my life. The fans who created it have made it really user friendly to create a random seed, made lots of quality of life changes in the game (text speed, skipping cinematics, boots and Ocarina on D-Pad for quick use), and there's even a google maps style map made for the game to help you find the spots you missed. A more recent addition was a "triforce hunt" where items might be triforce pieces, and you can collect an amount you set to finish the game. It completely changes how you think about the game.

I highly recommend it if you're a fan of the game. If you're not sure where to start, send me a message!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #2465
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You're welcome I'm restarting for about the 4th time because I've done at least one crucial mistake and been over aggressive in building my ship, so when it was time to build a engine, I was out of materials and couldn't build more because I'd strip mined the system.

But every time you start fresh, you get a little better at it.

Oh and Water, and Energy rods are king.

And when you build certain things be careful to read the description. The farms and the industrial stuff almost need to be in sealed room with environmental controls.

My ship has become a monster with three hyperdrives.

While you can get a lot of materials through stripping derilicts and mining. You really need to figure out your manufacturing or you run out of blocks in a hurry and you usually can't get a lot in traces.

By the way, I know its tempting, but eating alien meat is bad m'kay

Old 05-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #2466
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elder scrolls online greymoor drops today I'm pretty excited to explore Skyrim
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #2467
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I decided to take Epic Games up on their offer of a free copy of Civ 6. I've never played a Civ game before. I knew it was complicated, but I started it up right away and figured I'd just screw around with it. I couldn't figure anything out on my own, so I watched 4 hours of Civ 6 for beginners videos on youtube two nights ago. Then I played for 6 straight hours last night.

Now I'm at work, exhausted because I think I dreamed about moving my archers and boats around all night...

I'm not sure if getting this game for free was the best thing ever, or the worst.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #2468
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah, I'm too old now to play Civ games until 2am, which is why every new Civ game is a very risky thing to get into.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #2469
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah as a long time player of Civ, the "one more turn... ooops it's 6am" has bit me in the ass more than once.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #2470
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I decided to take Epic Games up on their offer of a free copy of Civ 6. I've never played a Civ game before. I knew it was complicated, but I started it up right away and figured I'd just screw around with it. I couldn't figure anything out on my own, so I watched 4 hours of Civ 6 for beginners videos on youtube two nights ago. Then I played for 6 straight hours last night.

Now I'm at work, exhausted because I think I dreamed about moving my archers and boats around all night...

I'm not sure if getting this game for free was the best thing ever, or the worst.
I actually think Civ 6 is the most accessible one in the series (keep in mind I played 3 and 4 but not 5). Way less micro-managing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #2471
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post

Welcome to the conundrum that is Civ. "Holy crap this game is amazing! Holy crap I have to work in 3 hours!" Blessing and curse all wrapped into one.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #2472
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This could go in the gear grinder thread but probably will find more empathy here. I bought an old PS Vita a year ago and was pretty happy playing it with the few games I could find. Now my only options to buy games for it are the PS Store and games are still unreasonably expensive for a digital download of a game for a moth balled system. So now I want to get the homebrew stuff rocking on it but I am just computer savvy enough to fata up my laptop and brick the Vita. Anyone had success with Henkaku that can explain this process to me?
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #2473
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I actually think Civ 6 is the most accessible one in the series (keep in mind I played 3 and 4 but not 5). Way less micro-managing.
I played Civ5 the most by a mile, and probably prefer it to Civ6, but I haven't got the Civ6 expansions so that may sway that decision
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #2474
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Happy to hear this. I was pretty casual, Civ 4 was the first one I ever played and I loved it. Bought Civ 5 but could never even finish it once..just way too much going on for kind of a newb (that and i think it kept crashing). Just DL'd 6, excited to try it out
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #2475
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Civ VI is an awesome game. Anyone down for an MP game message me for my steam ID
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #2476
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the issue is that literally everyone is about to have it on Epic now, not steam.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #2477
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think the issue is that literally everyone is about to have it on Epic now, not steam.
I looked it up, you can cross-play between Epic and Steam. The unified cross-play lobbies will eventually work with PS4/Xbox/Switch as well
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #2478
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
This could go in the gear grinder thread but probably will find more empathy here. I bought an old PS Vita a year ago and was pretty happy playing it with the few games I could find. Now my only options to buy games for it are the PS Store and games are still unreasonably expensive for a digital download of a game for a moth balled system. So now I want to get the homebrew stuff rocking on it but I am just computer savvy enough to fata up my laptop and brick the Vita. Anyone had success with Henkaku that can explain this process to me?
Conceptually, it's just flashing custom firmware onto your device like Tomato or DD WRT on a router. The difference is support by the manufacturer and Sony doesn't support it so it's do it at your own risk.

If you flash a shoddy/corrupted firmware, then it can cause problems. Most people will try to hard reset their device if the flashing process gets stuck which ends up causing problems no different than a legit firmware if your device shuts down in the middle. Most times if it gets stuck, the PSP is recoverable. It will just take time. Research how to recover before starting a flash.

I've done this before on the original PSP. I recall it was kinda time consuming and I read and reread a ton of stuff/verified the file several times before going forward, but end result was totally worth it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #2479
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got it to work which is super cool. There are a couple of real mysteries I will have to work through though. And next project is to get a card adapter so I can store some games on this thing. I got so stuck at one point and thought I had lost her but in the end, I missed one little step, went back and everything went smooth-ish after that.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #2480
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post: