Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2023, 03:22 PM   #1
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Crystal Value and Appraisal

I can't remember if I have asked about this before but does anyone know if there is a business or service to have crystal looked at in Calgary? I have a bunch of crystal from my parents including things like bowls, decanters, glasses, etc. I don't know if any of these things are worth anything. I have a decanter and ice bucket that I know have some value as it is Waterford Lismore Black but the other stuff I can't really identify by markings or patterns. Much of it came from eastern Europe as my parents would get it as gifts or would bring it back when they were traveling.

Any suggestions would be useful so that I can potentially get this stuff out of my garage storage and maybe get a few bucks out of it or put it into a more secure place
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #2
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

At the risk of being a smart @r$E have you checked Crystal pricing at Goodwill?
Oddly enough I’ve seen a bunch there the last few years. Now perhaps you have some very rare pieces so consider looking on eBay history.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:24 AM   #3
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
At the risk of being a smart @r$E have you checked Crystal pricing at Goodwill?
Oddly enough I’ve seen a bunch there the last few years. Now perhaps you have some very rare pieces so consider looking on eBay history.
Yah the folks at Goodwill are certainly the experts when it comes to assessing value of high end crystal. I know this because my mom volunteers in the “pricing room” at a huge thrift store and she needed exactly ZERO experience and training. She prices items by thinking “What would I pay for this” and the other volunteers are instructed to do the same.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:44 AM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Yah the folks at Goodwill are certainly the experts when it comes to assessing value of high end crystal. I know this because my mom volunteers in the “pricing room” at a huge thrift store and she needed exactly ZERO experience and training. She prices items by thinking “What would I pay for this” and the other volunteers are instructed to do the same.
Yeah, Goodwill is the place to go to score moderate to high value items for cheap. I don't waste my time going but my significant other likes to go occasionally and sometimes she can get some pretty good stuff to resell for pennies on the dollar.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:27 AM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the most valuable crystal is crystal meth. So maybe fill them and sell on the street.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #6
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah, Goodwill is the place to go to score moderate to high value items for cheap. I don't waste my time going but my significant other likes to go occasionally and sometimes she can get some pretty good stuff to resell for pennies on the dollar.
wouldn't that be dollars on the penny?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #7
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, don't go the goodwill route. But maybe try an antique store. Some of the bigger ones are Iron Crow or Inside Avenue. There's an antique mall sorta thing in Airdrie as well
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been there in ages but you might try talking to the folks at Halls Auction. They specifically list crystal as an item of interest. They might be a one stop shopping solution for you. Auction it off, send you a cheque.
https://hallsauction.com/
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I haven't been there in ages but you might try talking to the folks at Halls Auction. They specifically list crystal as an item of interest. They might be a one stop shopping solution for you. Auction it off, send you a cheque.
https://hallsauction.com/
This might be a great option. I might have to reach out to them and have them check out my stuff to see if it is worth anything.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:17 PM   #10
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
This might be a great option. I might have to reach out to them and have them check out my stuff to see if it is worth anything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiques_Roadshow
Then hope you get pushed into the taping line lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:07 PM   #11
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an FYI. They just posted a catalogue for the next sale.
https://hodginshalls.hibid.com/catal...g=-1&q=crystal
If you look under the bid price you'll see a price spread eg."120-200", this is the estimated sale value. Might give you a rough idea if your crystal is similar. Keep in mind you have to pay them a commission, no idea what that is these days, probably 30%ish?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote