Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Milos Roman

After a good season where Giants almost went to Memorial Cup, Roman has had a tough year. Trending well towards the end of the season but decision needs to be made on whether to sign or not as rights expire June 1. Hope we sign him to an elc given our limited prospect based. Should be able to find room in Stockton/Colorado Springs or KC.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of the euro prospects don’t produce but they are playing in pro leagues and get limited ice time. In junior, these drafted prospects usually have seniority and get lots of quality ice. If they don’t produce against kidstheir age or younger, it’s hard to project them being anything at the pro level.

I’d rather try my luck with unsigned college guys who have been producing.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roman only has 47 pts in 62 games in his D+2 year, which is not impressive even for a player that was said to be a good two-way player when he was drafted, considering he's playing against a lot of younger competition. He did have 60 pts in 59 games last year, but I don't see why he would be signed,seeing how they cut Joly loose last summer....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, he doesn't look like he has much of a future in pro hockey. It's hard to give him one of the Flames 50 contract spots for 3 seasons.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm neither for nor against signing Milos. I haven't seen him play and his numbers are unimpressive for an overager, but I have faith in our scouts and the Flames will be armed with more information than any of us.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Giants seem to like him a lot. Might be worth signing him if only he can help to develop young players in Stockton/Colorado Springs.

Giants head coach Michael Dyck on his introduction to Milos Roman:

“Everybody I talked to said: “You’re going to love this guy” and he absolutely lived up to the billing. He’s got pro habits, a pro work ethic and a pro attitude. It’s the best way to sum up Milos. Whoever he played with he made them better. Even at times that he wasn’t putting up points he was always starting the play. A real unsung hero.

Michael Dyck on what lies ahead for Roman:

“I think nothing but good things lie ahead for him both in hockey and in life because of his attitude, approach, work ethic and focus. Whatever he wants to accomplish he’ll find a way to do it. He’s a tireless worker and typically people like that with a no quit attitude will succeed. When things weren’t going well he was always trying to find solutions. We know much Calgary likes him and we hope he can take his game t0 another level with the Calgary flames.”

Michael Dyck on Milos Roman’s legacy with the Giants:

“He did such a great job last year bringing Justin Sourdif along (with Braydon Watts). He did such a great job helping us as a coaching staff develop some of the younger players. He’ll be sorrowfully missed. We’re all really going to miss him.

https://vancouvergiants.com/article/...ed-made-better
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Rick Dhaliwal TSN 1040 Vancouver.

I am not anticipating #WHLGiants forward Milos Roman to sign with Calgary Flames.
He will go back in NHL draft.

Very disappointing after we trade up to select him. After trading a lot of our picks I fail to see why we didn’t throw him a contract to see how it goes. Seems like a good kid with a high hockey iq.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #8
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Flames should sign him. Too much offensive regression.

But I don't think he was a bad pick per se.
32 points in 39 games (2018) is pretty food production for a 4th round pick.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

But is it all about offense? What if he develops into a solid pker/4th line F? They obviously saw something they liked (apart from offense). All reports is that he’s a coach’s dream, high hockey iq, good person. Even if he maxed out as an ahler, you need guys like that on the farm.

Not signing Lindstrom is understandable, we had a pick and had to use it. But to trade up to select him and decline to sign him is bad asset management. I know, only a fourth rounder. But they could have kept that 2019 pick they traded to select Roman and used it on a player in that draft. Looks bad on the organization pissing a pick away, especially after trading a bunch away and having the cupboards pretty bare.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

But is it all about offense? What if he develops into a solid pker/4th line F? They obviously saw something they liked (apart from offense). All reports is that he’s a coach’s dream, high hockey iq, good person. Even if he maxed out as an ahler, you need guys like that on the farm.

Not signing Lindstrom is understandable, we had a pick and had to use it. But to trade up to select him and decline to sign him is bad asset management. I know, only a fourth rounder. But they could have kept that 2019 pick they traded to select Roman and used it on a player in the 2020 draft. Looks bad on the organization pissing a pick away, especially after trading a bunch away and having the cupboards pretty bare.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 AM   #11
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post

Not signing Lindstrom is understandable, we had a pick and had to use it. But to trade up to select him and decline to sign him is bad asset management. I know, only a fourth rounder. But they could have kept that 2019 pick they traded to select Roman and used it on a player in the 2020 draft. Looks bad on the organization pissing a pick away, especially after trading a bunch away and having the cupboards pretty bare.
No, but the magnitude of the regression is too much to disregard.

In my opinion, there are many unsigned/undrafted CHLers who probably deserved to get contracts.

For an example, I think Glenn Gawdin is one of the best prospects on the Heat. He more than doubled his production and deserved a prospect.

Sure, maybe Milos Roman is defensively responsible and smart overall. But I don't think guys like Gawdin are that bad defensively either.
There are CHL players with 80+ points who are also as all-around as Roman.

A lack of prestigious point totals is fine. For an example, former Flames prospect Turner Elson only got 57 points as a WHL over-ager, but he deserved a contract because he was an all-around player AND he had progressed offensively.

Roman's initial lack of size, point totals, and acute offensive regression are too much to ignore IMO. At least Elson improved consistently while he was in the organization.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, but the magnitude of the regression is too much to disregard.

In my opinion, there are many unsigned/undrafted CHLers who probably deserved to get contracts.

For an example, I think Glenn Gawdin is one of the best prospects on the Heat. He more than doubled his production and deserved a prospect.

Sure, maybe Milos Roman is defensively responsible and smart overall. But I don't think guys like Gawdin are that bad defensively either.
There are CHL players with 80+ points who are also as all-around as Roman.

A lack of prestigious point totals is fine. For an example, former Flames prospect Turner Elson only got 57 points as a WHL over-ager, but he deserved a contract because he was an all-around player AND he had progressed offensively.

Roman's initial lack of size, point totals, and acute offensive regression are too much to ignore IMO. At least Elson improved consistently while he was in the organization.
Appreciate your thoughtful reply. I still think this one could come back to bite us but you make very good points.