Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Employment Q for the CP Brain Trust

Alright, I will get to it.

I'm finally at the point in my career (early 30s) where I have amassed enough experience and success to actually be able to pick and choose employers, instead of the other way around.

That said, I transitioned back into my chosen career (public affairs and government relations) from a role in the public sector about a year ago.

My current employer was great when I took the role. I was promised a lot of freedom and leeway to execute projects how I saw fit, conduct meetings, pursue strategies... All great stuff.

Well, there's been some personnel changes in the last few months, the office culture has changed, and so has executive strategy. I am now seeing a lot more direct control in my projects, and the roll-out of a new tech product, which in my opinion is poorly integrated with the services we provide clients, is over-resourced, and managed by a tech whiz kid who uses a lot of lingo that older business people love, but is not particularly well-educated in a lot of other aspects of our type of business.

That said, my team's work is still the bread-and-butter of the company. We are the most productive, and easily have the most wins of anyone else.

It's still good, and had full intention of sticking around, until three weeks ago when I was approached by two recruiters - one from my dream firm and the other from a highly-regarded boutique firm. Both positions are senior management type with a significant boost in salary.

So... my question, what do I do? Do I leave? I haven't been with my current employer for even a year and I really do like the VP that I work with, and honestly, he has really come to depend on me for a lot of things. It would crush him if I left. But the money, and the degrading office culture here... I don't know. What would you folks do? Any similar stories?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd absolutely explore it and look at leaving, you have to do what's best for you on a personal and professional level.

As much as we believe that we're invaluable or that someone will be crushed if you leave, or the company will spiral into an orgy of loss of profits and brain eating, the company will go on.

Its all about you maaaaannnnnn

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

IMO - they changed the exec strategy and culture - you shouldn't feel bad about being able to change your direction as a result. You made a commitment at a specific point in time for specific reasons. They changed the parameters, not you.

If I'm you - pursue the new options. If it works out, make sure you are very honest with your VP why. You were willing to be patient where you were... its not just the direct money and opportunity grab, its the change of circumstances that have triggered the change of direction. They should understand that.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

My advice is look out for number one. Public sector will not hold it against you if you decide to leave and one day come back. Besides, you only live once - take the adventure and make calculated risks. The hardest part is making the decision.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like an easy choice to me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
My advice is look out for number one. Public sector will not hold it against you if you decide to leave and one day come back. Besides, you only live once - take the adventure and make calculated risks. The hardest part is making the decision.
No, I'm back to being a private sector lobbyist now, baby.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Ah sorry, read that wrong. Same advice, shortened statement then
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Always keep your options open as there is absolutely no harm in looking elsewhere. Loyalty is a great thing, but can only go so far, as circumstances change for both employer and employee. My only caveat is be careful of the "dream firm". Understand exactly what they are offering, not just what you think it would be like. Oops, 2 caveats: I wouldn't want to bounce around from job to job too much. I don't think that is you, but reviewing resumes where a candidate seems to move on from a job every year or so is off-putting to some degree.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 10-07-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the downturn taught me anything, it's that the only loyalty you owe is to yourself. Cynical, perhaps, but justified.

Working for your dream firm, for more money and a promotion, is a no brainer.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reads more like a humblebrag than anything else. "Hey guys, I got two job offers with significant salary boosts, one from my dream firm, should I consider them?"

No, don't consider those positions. Go to your current VP and beg for forgiveness, ask him to reduce your salary for even thinking about leaving.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all you know the VP might be looking for a position elsewhere also. In fact you should tell the recruiters about him. After you've accepted of course.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
If the downturn taught me anything, it's that the only loyalty you owe is to yourself. Cynical, perhaps, but justified.
The world has always been this way.

Companies really don't care about their employees beyond how they can make them money.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, company loyalty is a useless relic at this point. Look out for yourself.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will this new job mean you have less time to post on CP?

I say go for it!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like you know what you want to do but are afraid to make the jump.

Do it. Listen to yourself
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think as employes we all feel a certain level of loyalty to a company/organization/our coworkers.

think of how much this significant boost in pay would mean over 5 or so years.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Alright, I will get to it.

I'm finally at the point in my career (early 30s) where I have amassed enough experience and success to actually be able to pick and choose employers, instead of the other way around.

That said, I transitioned back into my chosen career (public affairs and government relations) from a role in the public sector about a year ago.

My current employer was great when I took the role. I was promised a lot of freedom and leeway to execute projects how I saw fit, conduct meetings, pursue strategies... All great stuff.

Well, there's been some personnel changes in the last few months, the office culture has changed, and so has executive strategy. I am now seeing a lot more direct control in my projects, and the roll-out of a new tech product, which in my opinion is poorly integrated with the services we provide clients, is over-resourced, and managed by a tech whiz kid who uses a lot of lingo that older business people love, but is not particularly well-educated in a lot of other aspects of our type of business.

That said, my team's work is still the bread-and-butter of the company. We are the most productive, and easily have the most wins of anyone else.

It's still good, and had full intention of sticking around, until three weeks ago when I was approached by two recruiters - one from my dream firm and the other from a highly-regarded boutique firm. Both positions are senior management type with a significant boost in salary.

So... my question, what do I do? Do I leave? I haven't been with my current employer for even a year and I really do like the VP that I work with, and honestly, he has really come to depend on me for a lot of things. It would crush him if I left. But the money, and the degrading office culture here... I don't know. What would you folks do? Any similar stories?

You have answered your own question. Red=bad, bold black=good
At minimum you should interview, if you haventand go with the best option. At least you could put all thre opportunities on paper, with pros and cons attached, to determine what is reallly the best.

Last edited by Cheese; 10-07-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
Guest1

I never understood the "Work to Live. Live to work" statement until I found the job I love. There will always be days, times, situations of your job that can piss you off, but if on a whole, you wake up excited to go to work... that's a win for me.
The other things that take into account are travel... driving more than 30 minutes a day for commute is a waste of my life. There's so many better things I can be doing with my life vs. sitting a car for half a day.
Co-workers are the #2 (haha! I said #2) thing that makes my job awesome. There was a time that there was a co-worker that was such a turd, I wanted to punch them in the face daily and that just sucked the energy out of me so much. I woke up dreading those days.
I think if you are up front with your current employer, the door could stay open if it turns into something crappy. But you said you also had a third option too? You're still young! Take a chance!!!! Do it!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A bad office culture is never worth the extra money.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
This reads more like a humblebrag than anything else. "Hey guys, I got two job offers with significant salary boosts, one from my dream firm, should I consider them?"

No, don't consider those positions. Go to your current VP and beg for forgiveness, ask him to reduce your salary for even thinking about leaving.
Well, no, it wasn't meant to be. I am quite conflicted with feelings of loyalty, not being seen as a flake, leaving my reports in limbo.