Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #5021
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Tehquitz creek resort course (fantastic shape and amazing value at $69)
Marriott valley course (decent course, good value at $67)
Desert Willow - fire cliff (probably the best course I have ever played).

We cancelled pga west and subbed in Marriott as there was a huge wind warning with 60 mph winds. Mariott was a hot deal on golf now and the wind was bananas for a while.
Twighlight rounds w/ cart & 2 beers for $29 at Tahquitz are my go-to on slow non-windy afternoons
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #5022
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Twighlight rounds w/ cart & 2 beers for $29 at Tahquitz are my go-to on slow non-windy afternoons
That would be a great deal! I couldn’t believe how good of shape the resort course was in. It was awesome. And such a beautiful day too. Like 15 and blue sky. Perfect golf weather. I heard legends just came out of overseed so we stayed away.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #5023
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey CP, Myself and a few friends are looking to get a membership somewhere. We're 28, and looking for an "intermediate" membership ideally under $3,000 if possible.

Found a few options some based on last year pricing:
- Springbank Links ($2,250)
- Country Hills ($2,507 + deposit &GST)
- Lynx Ridge ($2,400)
- Inglewood ($2,169+800 equity +300 food and bevy)
- Winston ($2,680 +GST)

We live pretty central, as long as it's less than 30 min drive I'm open to anything - does anyone have any other recommendations for an intermediate membership in the city?
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #5024
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Pretty sure Cottonwood was $2500 for an intermediate, but their full equity is now $10 500 so who knows.

https://cottonwoodgcc.com/membership/#inquiry
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #5025
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
Hey CP, Myself and a few friends are looking to get a membership somewhere. We're 28, and looking for an "intermediate" membership ideally under $3,000 if possible.

Found a few options some based on last year pricing:
- Springbank Links ($2,250)
- Country Hills ($2,507 + deposit &GST)
- Lynx Ridge ($2,400)
- Inglewood ($2,169+800 equity +300 food and bevy)
- Winston ($2,680 +GST)

We live pretty central, as long as it's less than 30 min drive I'm open to anything - does anyone have any other recommendations for an intermediate membership in the city?
I enjoyed Lynx Ridge while I was there, and they had a deal where you could pay another $500 and play Valley Ridge as well.. I did that and played Valley Ridge most of the time.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #5026
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I enjoyed Lynx Ridge while I was there, and they had a deal where you could pay another $500 and play Valley Ridge as well.. I did that and played Valley Ridge most of the time.
you preferred Valley Ridge overall? better course?
Old 01-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #5027
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

what is an intermediate membership? is it based on age?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #5028
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
you preferred Valley Ridge overall? better course?
Valley Ridge is much better.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:19 PM   #5029
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
what is an intermediate membership? is it based on age?
Yes exactly, lots of courses offer them now, they are typically somewhat restricted (usually can't book tee times before 12pm on weekends and holidays, and some other unique restrictions here or there) but its decently cost effective compared to full memberships.

They are typically for 19-30 year olds.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #5030
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Curious as to people's thoughts on the accuracy of the golf simulators? I went to Rad Golf over Christmas and played a round with a friend. I shot 81, when I'm usually struggling to break 90. I know the putting can skew things a bit, but it just seemed like the simulator was really forgiving in terms of accuracy. Hits just seemed to go much straighter on the simulator than I find in real life.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #5031
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Curious as to people's thoughts on the accuracy of the golf simulators? I went to Rad Golf over Christmas and played a round with a friend. I shot 81, when I'm usually struggling to break 90. I know the putting can skew things a bit, but it just seemed like the simulator was really forgiving in terms of accuracy. Hits just seemed to go much straighter on the simulator than I find in real life.
I've played mainly at XFactor in the NW, which had state of the art sims when they opened several years ago. Not sure how they compare to what's available now, though.

I found hits do tend to go straighter on the sims. At XFactor, you hit off the same surface everytime, so it helps that every shot is on a perfect, flat lie, whether in the fairway, rough, or sand. Also, always knowing exact distances can help (especially on chips and short pitches where my watch on a real course isn't all that accurate).

Of the dozen or so times I've played at XFactor, I regularly break 80, and maybe once or twice I scored worse than a double bogey, which is definitely not the case in real golf.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #5032
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I've played mainly at XFactor in the NW, which had state of the art sims when they opened several years ago. Not sure how they compare to what's available now, though.

I found hits do tend to go straighter on the sims. At XFactor, you hit off the same surface everytime, so it helps that every shot is on a perfect, flat lie, whether in the fairway, rough, or sand. Also, always knowing exact distances can help (especially on chips and short pitches where my watch on a real course isn't all that accurate).

Of the dozen or so times I've played at XFactor, I regularly break 80, and maybe once or twice I scored worse than a double bogey, which is definitely not the case in real golf.
My son is better and more consistent than me and has played a lot on the local X-Golf and a lot outside this year. I'd say he's probably about 5-10 shots better on the simulator for a similar length course. He's a pretty good putter on the course. He doesn't think it really picks up a big duck hook very well, but distance seems to pretty well simulated and regular misses are picked up. If I think of his blow up holes on a real course, they'd be things like sailing a shot over the green from a crappy lie in the sand, or ball settled down in the bermuda rough that can go anywhere. Those kind of things aren't going to happen on a simulator and can quickly kill a round outside.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #5033
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If the stars align as I expect them to, I will be buying my first adult-membership this year. Looking at Strathmore as thats where I'm located, $2,050 for an unrestricted membership seems like a good bargain. Might do the $99 to add my son as well, though that would be restricted to weekdays and after 12pm on weekends.

I also got myself the Garmin S62 for Christmas, looking to really up my golf game in 2022.

Safe to say I'm ready for golf season to be here! Always enjoy reading about peoples golf exploits on here, Covid be damned!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #5034
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Strathmore as a course. Good value. I'd play it more if it wasn't a million miles away from me
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #5035
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
i would also think that hitting from a consistent flat surface for every shot would also help a little.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #5036
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I did feel like I was playing more of a video game rather than a true game of golf. The mi####s were still there but it didn't feel very punishing based on what usually happens in real life

The point about having a flat consistent surface is probably the biggest factor in a safe round. Chips and shots out of sand were way more predictable and they can easily add a stroke to a hole just like that.

EDIT: LOL at mis-hits getting the swear filter
Old 01-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #5037
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TaylorMade Stealth looks sexy AF.

Not sure about $800 though.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:03 PM   #5038
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The TaylorMade Stealth looks sexy AF.

Not sure about $800 though.
The American price seems only about $20 over Ping/Callaway/Sim2 prices. It's totally psychological, but I could never get comfortable with that bottom insert piece the SIM2 has, that I see this has too.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:17 AM   #5039
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The American price seems only about $20 over Ping/Callaway/Sim2 prices. It's totally psychological, but I could never get comfortable with that bottom insert piece the SIM2 has, that I see this has too.
That little spiky thing out the back?
Old 01-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #5040
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
That little spiky thing out the back?
Yeah, the thing on the bottom that sticks out the back. Spoiler for image size. It's 100% just in my head, but it threw me off the few times I've tried SIM2's.
Spoiler!

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow