Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #4961
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaznfob View Post
Any indoor golf lesson recommendations for winter??

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
How about going to see Wes Heffernan? He used to coach my kids and wife.

I highly recommend him.

https://www.dmgolfperformance.com/our-team.html
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #4962
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I am booking a golf trip to Wisconsin in July 2022, and we're looking at the two courses at Lawsonia, and the two courses at Sand Valley, over 4 days. Anyone played any of these and have any feedback or insight?

Be sure to budget time for the Sandbox as well.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #4963
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaznfob View Post
Any indoor golf lesson recommendations for winter??

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I haven't used them, but a number of people I've talked to rave about Golftec.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #4964
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Was fortunate to play in a scramble at Cabot Links the past few days. Two rounds at Cabot Links and one at Cabot Cliffs. It was a really enjoyable experience, the courses are unlike anything I have played before.
Our group had a hole in one which I had never witnessed before. Our caddie was a great guy, lots of interesting stories about the area and course. Our round at the Cliffs was very cool and windy, the wind was just ripping off the ocean on the 16th hole. I bought a fancy new rain jacket and forgot it at home, but the rain held off for the most part.
There is a 10 hole par 3 course next to the Cliffs called the Nest, we played that in the evening under the lights which was another cool experience. The drive to and from the course is beautiful, lots of fall colors out.
I will need to go back and spend some time there checking out the province, this experience has got me motivated to explore more of eastern Canada.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to StevenAbootman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #4965
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
That's about where I've been for the last 5 years or so too. Which I why I decided I'm going to get a membership for the 2022 season. I know its the short game that is preventing me from shooting lower scores, and the only real way to improve that is to get the 'feel' for those shots 75 yards and in. Not going to break 80 playing 15-20 rounds a year I dont think, or at least not this guy lol.
Considering a membership too. Have you done much research into the best options / deals in Calgary?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #4966
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i personally think that serenity is great value, as a membership/pass there gives you access to two different 18 hole layouts - plus i think you can get some deals on green fees at other play golf calgary courses.

of course it likely would not make sense to go there unless you live on the south side of the city.

perosnally, i was leaning towards going this route earier this summer; however, i have since decided that continuing on with the golf calgary card is likely the way to go for me as i can pre-load it with an amount i choose, i can book a week in advance and i feel i can get tee times when i would like them, so why fork out all that cash in advance and then have to golf around 40 times for sure to "break even" - but i get the allure of getting one for sure
Old 10-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #4967
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played a scramble tournament at Arbutus Ridge outside Victoria yesterday.
I do really enjoy the freedom of a scramble tournament. You can go for shots you might otherwise play safe and really hit some rare beauties you otherwise wouldn't try.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:48 PM   #4968
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Woohoo, eagle day! Had a chintzy one on a glorified pitch and putt a few years ago. Today was the real deal. Shanked a drive left of the fairway and then just clobbered my second shot onto the back of the green somehow.

Had a 20 foot ugly, downhill, breaking left putt. The whole time all I could think of was "I'll be lucky if I par this hole". Just tapped it into the break and let it ride down, straight into the hole. What a feeling.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-08-2021 at 10:13 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #4969
jayswin

Exp:

Had a 5 hole par streak as well. Things are really progressing. Lessons might be next, but honestly I believe the repetition and having fun makes for really great progression in your game.

Just get out there lots and have fun and you should easily be low 80's to mid 70's from frequency of shots alone, after a couple of years of getting out a ton.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:28 AM   #4970
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Made a deal with my golf pro and bought a Sim 2 driver. It has a draw bias to help correct my slices.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:42 AM   #4971
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Had a 5 hole par streak as well. Things are really progressing. Lessons might be next, but honestly I believe the repetition and having fun makes for really great progression in your game.

Just get out there lots and have fun and you should easily be low 80's to mid 70's from frequency of shots alone, after a couple of years of getting out a ton.
Don't think just playing gets most people down in the 80's let alone 70's. According to this pga article only 26% of all golfers break 90.

Not to be discouraging, just go out and have fun.

https://www.pga.com/story/6-reasons-...roving-at-golf
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #4972
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Made a deal with my golf pro and bought a Sim 2 driver. It has a draw bias to help correct my slices.
I tried that one out this year as a demo for a week or two and it was quite good. I decided to go with a Ping in the end, but they were pretty close for me!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #4973
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a beautiful day for golf.

Might be the last round of the year.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #4974
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing tomorrow at maple ridge. Last Canadian round of the year. First city course round of the year. Hope it doesn’t suck!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #4975
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Don't think just playing gets most people down in the 80's let alone 70's. According to this pga article only 26% of all golfers break 90.

Not to be discouraging, just go out and have fun.

https://www.pga.com/story/6-reasons-...roving-at-golf
That's me. I shoot in the low 90's and on the rare occassion I might shoot in the 80's. My short game is the part that lets me down and at times my putter. Still it's the people I play with and the fun of the game that keeps me coming back.

I've played with guys who have thrown a club after a bad shot or stormed off the course when they've had a bad game. I question why even play if you're going to do that.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:31 PM   #4976
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I tried that one out this year as a demo for a week or two and it was quite good. I decided to go with a Ping in the end, but they were pretty close for me!
I've been playing with a 2008 Burner driver for a number of years and wasn't all that unhappy with the drives I was getting. In the end I had some mens league winnings/pro shop credit to use up and decided on the driver.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #4977
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

It was actually a mid July feeling out there at times. Started to feel some nice heat on my body on the back nine.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #4978
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It was actually a mid July feeling out there at times. Started to feel some nice heat on my body on the back nine.
Yesterday was a spectacular fall day for golf. Perfect conditions in my opinion. I found a round up at The Ranch in Edmonton and that is a surprisingly nice and fun course. I will definitely try that course again.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #4979
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yesterday was a great morning for golf. Probably the last round for the season for me.

Started off Bogey / Par / Bogey / Par. I was thinking "This is my best start ever". And things started to go downhill from there.

9 holes - ended with 3 Pars / 3 bogeys and a 49 score.

But I'll take it as progress considering i was shooting mid to high 50s to start the year on 9 holes.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #4980
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
yesterday was a great morning for golf. Probably the last round for the season for me.

Started off Bogey / Par / Bogey / Par. I was thinking "This is my best start ever". And things started to go downhill from there.

9 holes - ended with 3 Pars / 3 bogeys and a 49 score.

But I'll take it as progress considering i was shooting mid to high 50s to start the year on 9 holes.
Yep I played yesterday morning too. Shot 83 at maple ridge. We were on 17 when the cold front blew in.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow