Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #961
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who gives Christmas gifts to themselves? Ohhh this is exactly what I was hoping for, how did you know?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #962
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I buy stuff for myself during Boxing week. Does that count? Boxing week is still considered holiday spending I'm guessing.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #963
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
You can't sign up for Secret Santa if you are just going to give people clay!
Ooo, that's a good idea. What if I put it in a bucket? It is like the new pet rock. Bucket o' Clay! Christmas just got cheaper this year!

Thank you for the idea, I can send you an appreciative Bucket o' Clay if you just provide me your address.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #964
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of poor spending decisions...
Quote:
The lack of communication is worrying for parents who spent $16,000 per child to ensure their spot on the ship.
"It doesn't look promising. As of right now, the trip hasn't been cancelled but … it's not really looking good," said Adrian Oziewicz, whose daughter, Emilia, 13, is one of the students booked on the trip.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...347722?cmp=rss

$16k for a 13 year old???? WTF is going on? Why are schools spending money on this? You know where we went on our school trip? Crowsnest ####ing Pass. A cruise. Come on.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #965
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Who gives Christmas gifts to themselves? Ohhh this is exactly what I was hoping for, how did you know?
Typically people who don't have other people to buy gifts for, or are not expecting gifts from other people.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #966
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

or ahead of the curve?
Maybe it’s not right, but every time I see one of those crooks from Goldman or Morgan Stanley say that something is a bad idea it makes me think we should do it. Knowing nothing else about the concept, I just want to see bad things for those people.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #967
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ooo, that's a good idea. What if I put it in a bucket? It is like the new pet rock. Bucket o' Clay! Christmas just got cheaper this year!

Thank you for the idea, I can send you an appreciative Bucket o' Clay if you just provide me your address.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #968
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Maybe it’s not right, but every time I see one of those crooks from Goldman or Morgan Stanley say that something is a bad idea it makes me think we should do it. Knowing nothing else about the concept, I just want to see bad things for those people.
Unfortunately when they feel pain they always find a way to make sure they get paid. It's normal people that get burnt.

Last edited by nik-; 11-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #969
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh.

Here's things to understand:

It's expensive to own property. You have to save and sacrifice to own property. You have to have a good job. You might need a mate with a good job. It has always been like this. Yeah hey back in the 70s you could buy a place for $30K, but you made $8000/year. And eggs were 50 cents a dozen. Yes kiddies, inflation is a real thing.

And don't feel bad if you rent. Only 63% of Canadians own their place.

Yes post-secondary costs money. Yes you should get all the financial help you can. This is not the time to expect rugged self-sufficiency. Yes you might end up with some student loans. I ended up with $18K in loans, I paid it off in 5 years. This was before the litany of tax credits for tuition BTW. Whatever. It will still be a great financial decision on your part. Just take something that has a chance of you getting a job.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #970
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yeesh.

It's expensive to own property. You have to save and sacrifice to own property. You have to have a good job. You might need a mate with a good job. It has always been like this. Yeah hey back in the 70s you could buy a place for $30K, but you made $8000/year. And eggs were 50 cents a dozen. Yes kiddies, inflation is a real thing.

Yes post-secondary costs money. Yes you should get all the financial help you can. This is not the time to expect rugged self-sufficiency. Yes you might end up with some student loans. I ended up with $18K in loans, I paid it off in 5 years. This was before the litany of tax credits for tuition BTW. Whatever. It will still be a great financial decision on your part. Just take something that has a chance of you getting a job.
No one is saying that it should be easy to buy property. However, by all metrics it's become much harder for young people to buy property now than it was in the 70s. If it was hard then, imagine what it's like now.

The culprits include:

1. Archaic and NIMBY inspired zoning laws.
2. Stagnating wages.
3. Increased costs of living.
4. Low interest rates.
5. Uncontrolled foreign investment.

We all know what inflation is. The issue is that purchasing power has decreased relative to inflation, due to stagnating wages. There is also a major gap opening up between lower and higher end wages.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #971
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
No one is saying that it should be easy to buy property. However, by all metrics it's become much harder for young people to buy property now than it was in the 70s. If it was hard then, imagine what it's like now.

The culprits include:

1. Archaic and NIMBY inspired zoning laws.
2. Stagnating wages.
3. Increased costs of living.
4. Low interest rates.
5. Uncontrolled foreign investment.

We all know what inflation is. The issue is that purchasing power has decreased relative to inflation, due to stagnating wages. There is also a major gap opening up between lower and higher end wages.
Well, you can still purchase a multi-family unit fairly cheaply in Calgary. There's a lot of supply. No, you might not get your dream SFH. But you know, the policy of the city for quite a while now has been to price out new SFH development. Which of course raises existing SFH pricing.

No, you don't have a "right" to a SFH. No, you don't automatically "deserve" one.

BTW, all those things you mentioned (except #2)? They all contribute to asset inflation...

Oh yeah, the cost of living always goes up. For fark's sake, you guys keep electing politicians that keep raising fees and taxes, what did you expect? Is your garbage being picked up better? Your water bill has gone up 100% because the city can't build a treatment plant on budget. * shrug *, right?

Last edited by Shazam; 11-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #972
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep acting like a small Prairie town with virtually limited land to build on and a declining economy is some kind of rule that proves that housing can be affordable everywhere under current circumstances.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #973
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

There we go.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #974
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeesh.

Just pull yourself up by the bootstraps amiright? OK Boomer.

Quote:
Only a third of millennials own their own home, compared with almost two-thirds of baby boomers at the same age. It will take a millennial on average 19 years to save for a deposit, compared with three years in the 1980s. A third of millennials will, it is predicted, have a lifetime of renting with less space, poorer conditions, longer commutes and more insecurity than the baby boomers experienced.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ional-fairness

Quote:
Americans between 18 and 34 are earning less today (after adjustment for inflation) than the same age group did in the past. A typical millennial averaged earnings of $33,883 (in 2013 dollars) between 2009 and 2013. That was down 9.3 percent (after adjustment for inflation) in just a decade and is the lowest since 1980. Older Americans have fared considerably better; earnings of all full-time workers were roughly flat between 2000 and 2011.

Still more striking is that millennials have endured falling earnings even though they have attended college in record numbers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/o...llennials.html

Quote:
"There's really very little evidence that millennials are any more spoiled or any more entitled than any generation of young people that came before," he says. "But there is a mountain of evidence that things are objectively harder for us."

Healthcare, housing and education are more than five times more expensive than they were for our parents. There are fewer steady jobs. Wages have stagnated since the 1970s. I mean, I can go on and on and on. And so its weird that we're constantly talking about how millennials should do this differently, and millennials should do that differently. But we don't talk that much about, hey, the country around us can do some things differently, too.
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/07/57630...nd-the-economy

Quote:
But it’s not just aging. In a variety of different areas, the Baby Boom generation created, advanced, or preserved policies that made American institutions less dynamic. In a recent report for the American Enterprise Institute, I looked at issues including housing, work rules, higher education, law enforcement, and public budgeting, and found a consistent pattern: The political ascendancy of the Boomers brought with it tightening control and stricter regulation, making it harder to succeed in America. This lack of dynamism largely hasn’t hurt Boomers, but the mistakes of the past are fast becoming a crisis for younger Americans.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...merica/592336/

Quote:
In 1980, Queen’s Another One Bites the Dust was on the radio, The Empire Strikes Back was in theatres, and the average Canadian between the age of 18 and 35 was making $34,200 a year. (That’s in today’s dollars, adjusted, not what was on their paycheque, according Statistics Canada.)

In 2016, as we were downloading Drake’s One Dance, and streaming Star Wars: Rogue One, the average Canadian between 18 and 35 was making $34,300 — a difference of … $100.

Average wages for people between the ages of 18 and 35 have remained stagnant for nearly four decades.

By comparison, people in the 35-through-50-year-old age group were making, on average, $49,500 in 1980. By 2016, their average income rose to $57,200, a $7,700 jump, according to Statistics Canada.

Those between the ages of 51 and 65 saw even bigger gains. Average salaries for that demographic were at $46,700 in 1980 and had jumped to $54,700 by 2016, an $8,000 increase.

The millennial salary stagnation is also happening at a time when benefits, such as dental care and Defined Benefit Pension Plans, are being pared back or even eliminated by employers, giving those older generations an even bigger financial leg up.
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...the-rest-of-us

Yes, all (except one) of these articles are about the US and it's less extreme in Canada. But anybody that doesn't think there are structural issues that have made it more difficult for millennials to get ahead in life than it was for boomers has their head planted firmly in the sand.

Last edited by Torture; 11-05-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #975
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
People keep acting like a small Prairie town with virtually limited land to build on and a declining economy is some kind of rule that proves that housing can be affordable everywhere under current circumstances.
Do you have anything to say at all that is useful, that doesn't involve you bragging about yourself?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #976
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have anything to say at all that is useful, that doesn't involve you bragging about yourself?
Yeah, tons. Read through my posts. I'm not dissing Calgary. I'm from there and I love that it will always be home. I'm just saying that people need to see this issue from a larger perspective that isn't "well, there are 200 homes in Whitehorn for under $400k, what are you complaining about?"
Old 11-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #977
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeesh.

This is hilarious.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #978
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Just pull yourself up by the bootstraps amiright? OK Boomer.
Not a boomer. Gen X. Good assumption.

And if you bothered to read what I wrote without foaming at the mouth, I said that you should garner all the help you can get.

Quote:
Yes, these articles are about the US and it's less extreme in Canada. But anybody that doesn't think there are structural issues that have made it more difficult for millennials to get ahead in life than it was for boomers has their head in the sand.
You mean older people have more property, and young people have less? That's sorta how it goes.

I hope you provide yourself the same derision when you're older.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #979
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a boomer. Gen X. Good assumption.

And if you bothered to read what I wrote without foaming at the mouth, I said that you should garner all the help you can get.

You mean older people have more property, and young people have less? That's sorta how it goes.

I hope you provide yourself the same derision when you're older
Dude, read through the articles and actually try to change your mind. I know it's going to be hard, but you should at least try.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #980
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, tons. Read through my posts. I'm not dissing Calgary. I'm from there and I love that it will always be home. I'm just saying that people need to see this issue from a larger perspective that isn't "well, there are 200 homes in Whitehorn for under $400k, what are you complaining about?"
I read your posts. They're 90% patting yourself on the back and 10% passive aggressive whining. And some really bad economic policy that does the exact opposite of what you're trying to accomplish.